HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

What if bowel prep doesn't work??? What if bowel prep doesn't work???

Unread 07-30-2010, 10:31 AM
What if bowel prep doesn't work???

Hey Sisters!

My ObGyn has asked me to do a fleet enema the night before my surgery. #1. Eew. #2. I am chronically constipated and afraid the enema might not work. I can eat prunes, bran, take stool softener, drink tons of water, Metamucil, ground flax seeds, etc and will not have results for several days. Of course, I have been doing all these things for the last few weeks to prepare for my surgery, but do any of you have this problem? Have you done a fleet enema before? Any advice would be most welcome!
Unread 07-30-2010, 11:04 AM
Re: What if bowel prep doesn't work???

I am the same way... its awful... My doctor told me to skip the fleet and take two dulcolax at 5pm prior the day before surgery... They didnt do a thing...So I had to tell the dr that I it didnt work. Since surgery last week, I have been taking metamucil everyday because the constipation/gas hurt post-op so bad... I feel much better and more regular with the metamucil. ( I probably should have done the fleet)...I have had this issue forever with the bowels.

Hope all goes well....
Unread 07-30-2010, 11:06 AM

I forgot to mention I have done the fleet before. Sometimes was successful, somtimes not... for me anyway.
Unread 07-30-2010, 11:20 AM

I would ask your doctor if you could use the prep solutions that are used before a colonoscopy. I have had 2 and can tell you that it will clean you out!

These preps can be a little unpleasant, but if your doctor allows you would have peace of mind.

Good Luck.
Unread 07-30-2010, 11:44 AM

'Honey (be sure you are not allergic to it) mixed with water' is the 'solution'...
Unread 07-30-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmmc2108 View Post
I would ask your doctor if you could use the prep solutions that are used before a colonoscopy. I have had 2 and can tell you that it will clean you out!

These preps can be a little unpleasant, but if your doctor allows you would have peace of mind.

Good Luck.
If you are talking about that magnesium citrate (?) or whatever it's called, I have tried that, too, and I couldn't believe it did not work!

Thanks for your comments!
Unread 07-30-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie2010 View Post
'Honey (be sure you are not allergic to it) mixed with water' is the 'solution'...
Really? I'm assuming you mean orally?
Unread 07-30-2010, 07:29 PM

How badly do they want you cleaned out? Ask about Golytely. Its used for colonoscopy preps and it would work. Its by prescription so it up to your Dr, but be sure to tell him your prep might not work otherwise. Good luck.
Unread 07-30-2010, 08:45 PM

The name GoLytely absolutely kills me. You definitely do not go "lightly!"

All kidding aside...I have IBS and had to have a colonoscopy a few years ago. The prep was 4 dulcolax and the big bottle of GoLytely. For my TVH, I had to use the magnesium citrate. The colonoscopy prep definitely worked better and faster. You may want to ask your doctor about that one.
Unread 07-31-2010, 02:16 AM

OMG GoLytely

I will def ask my dr about that! I'm so worried that my surgery might be cancelled if the enema doesn't work, or that if the surgery goes ahead, my dr might nick my colon/bowels, and I would die of septic shock.

Yes, I'm a little bit of a paranoid pessimist.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.