HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

how much can I lift after LAVH @ 4WKS how much can I lift after LAVH @ 4WKS

Unread 08-08-2010, 08:07 AM
how much can I lift after LAVH @ 4WKS

My surgeon was very vague on my last visit as to how much I should be lifting but encouraged me to still be cautious.
On Tuesday it has been 4 weeks. My husband is going to be around a lot less to help haul the vacuum and laundry baskets. How much is the usual weight everyone has been lifting @ 4 wks?
Unread 08-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Re: how much can I lift after LAVH @ 4WKS

My LAVH was July 12th and at my 2 week check up my surgeon said I could lift 20 pounds up from the 5 pounds at surgery time. So I imagine I could lift more than that now but I don't. I am going to take it real easy for another 2 weeks and call as he said I don't need to come in, although I might see him to ask a few questions. As much as we pay these fine Dr.'s I don't feel bad about another post op visit that will be covered under the surgery fee.
I have had a breeze of a recovery and yesterday we went to the mall, out to lunch, Kohl's and then I did laundry and went to my MIL's apt. and did some de-cluttering for her and then out for a burger with all of us.
I had enough pain when I went to bed along the sides internally of where my uterus attached that I had to get up and take Motrin and I haven't been taking ANYTHING for pain.
SSSOOO..... with all of that said, please take it easy and do light cleaning and have some heavy duty cleaning on the weekends when the husband can help. Do a little every day and then have time to rest.
Today is going to be a real laid back day. Not going to risk pulling or tearing something. I will piddle as I say to move around but no lifting, pulling, etc. It can be done later. My abdomen is telling me "slow down there Missy" and I am listening.
Take care same week sister
Unread 08-08-2010, 08:35 AM

Thanks. What you said made sense as we have had what sounds like the same type recovery (mine has also been a breeze). And my surgery was 1 day after yours. But my Dr. sounds a little more conservative and less giving on the info. And yes when I have the same type day you had yesterday my nights are much like yours where my abdomen tells me to slow down.
Unread 08-08-2010, 08:42 AM

After my TVH, at 2 wks my Dr told me to liberalize my lifting as tolerated, increasing to full lift by 4-6 wks. He took me off all restrictions at 5 wks. I had no pain at that point and lifting felt fine. I know everyone is different but that worked for me.
Unread 08-08-2010, 08:52 AM

I hit my two week mark last Friday. I also had a LAVH but he also had to remove a huge tumor (bigger than my uterus). He is one of those doctor's you have to pry info out of too, but I kept rephrasing questions to get the few answers I got.

He still doesn't want me to lift over 10 lb and no straining. He doesn't even want me to walk around the neighborhood. He tells me to walk inside my house. When I pressed him about it he said it is because I had a very difficult surgery. It took him about 4 hours to get the tumor out. I can only assume that I must have more internal stitches because of it so maybe that's the reason for restrictions and I am also anemic.

I don't go back to him till my 5 week mark so I guess I'll be grounded till at least then. I told him don't have any pain at all any more but he said for me to treat myself as though I do.

I putter around the house and I have been walking around the outside of my house with my dh with me for about 20 minutes a day. I figure that's just as good as inside since my dh is with me.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.