HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Outpatient Surgery? Outpatient Surgery?

Unread 08-13-2010, 07:47 PM
Outpatient Surgery?

Are most LAVH's scheduled as Outpatient?

I had mine 1 week ago (8/5/10) and when I found out it was scheduled that way, I was shocked. Major surgery you can walk away from?

Well, mine was true to form....Went in at 8:30 and was home by 5:30! They tried to send me home at 3:00, but when I stood up, all the color drained from my body, I was clammy and faint, so I climbed back in bed. I was surprised at the fact all you had to be able to do to be released, was drink and pee!

I was actually surprised at how good I actually did feel, the biggest pain was the pressure from the gas! 3 minor incisions in my belly, didn't hurt one bit. Was swollen (sucked since I had recently lost 21 lbs. then I felt fat again!), and sore, but it still amazes me you get to walk away the same day after losing all your female organs!

Lap surgery is certainly less evasive, but wow! The hardest part of recovery for me has been feeling so great externally and remembering to slow down, when I'm so used to being in "Mom Mode"! Oh, and the sutures from the cervical cuff, are very annoying!

Speey recovery wishes to all our sisters in drive-thru surgery!

abb698
8/5/10-Total LAVH took everything due to endo!
Unread 08-13-2010, 08:12 PM
Re: Outpatient Surgery?

My surgery was one week ago today. (Aug.6th) Got to the hospital at 5:00 am surgery at 7:00 am. I was home by 5:00pm that afternoon! I had a LAVH also.Uterus and cervix removed. So I got the drive thru service too! I am doing okay. Just very tired and still some weird pains down there. I hope your recovery goes well!
Cats
Unread 08-13-2010, 08:33 PM

I spent one night in the hospital after my LAVH and had the option to spend a second night. Wow going home same day would have been hard! It is such major surgery. Hope your recovery is going well.
Unread 08-13-2010, 08:50 PM

I'm shocked whenever I hear they do it outpatient, but I think it's great you did so well! I had to spend five days in hospital following mine, but now we know that's because I had a large infected abscess developing which is why I wasn't doing well.

Now that they have removed it and I'm starting to feel better I also find the remembering to "slow down" part hard. I'm 28 and a runner...and having short walks tire me out is very frustrating. One day at a time right?

You mentioned the sutures from the cervix are annoying...how can you tell? I'm so curious - my surgeon is on vacation so I can't ask her...
Unread 08-13-2010, 10:04 PM

My TVH was considered outpatient and I stayed in the hospital overnight one night. Outpatient surgery is 23 hours or less hospital time and was counted from the time I got to my room after surgery and recovery.

I'm sending best wishes and for a smooth recovery!

Deb
Unread 08-13-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiM View Post
You mentioned the sutures from the cervix are annoying...how can you tell? I'm so curious - my surgeon is on vacation so I can't ask her...
Wow Mimi, hope you are feeling better after your ordeal!

As for the sutures, I can feel them-of sorts. Apparently I had some small lacerations (unplanned, guess like some sort of nick as they removed the organs vaginally) so my Dr. sutured them and I feel this tightness, like when you are wearing a tampon. Also, at times I have a burning sensation for a brief few seconds down there, where I have to shift the way I'm sitting or laying. The nurse mentioned this could be granulation (making of scar tissue) and basic internal healing. They said the sutures take the full 6 weeks to really heal and disolve. And from what I've read on other posts about vaginal cuffs, the burning happens and then itching happens as it heals...yay...fire crotch to jock itch, aren't I going to be a classy Princess! LOL

Hang in there Sisters! Hugs!:

abb698
8/5/10-Total LAVH took everything due to endo!
Unread 08-14-2010, 10:28 PM

I had a tlh at 7:30 and was home by 3:30 the same day. Just like that, in and out. I must admit I was very happy to be in my own bed and resting comfortable! Whenever I tell people I had a complete hysterectomy as an outpatient they are floored...
Have a great recovery

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.