HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Worried about vaginal cancer - lump protruding from vagina Worried about vaginal cancer - lump protruding from vagina

Unread 08-15-2010, 09:27 AM
Worried about vaginal cancer - lump protruding from vagina

I felt a lump in my vagina that was rough to the touch when I was bathing. I got a mirror out and looked inside my vagina and there are several polyp like growths and a few lump like, marble sized balls. One of them is odd shaped and bumpy in appearance. Very Very odd looking. I've had gyn appts and no one ever said anything about this. My last pap was normal. Since this is the first time I've ever actually used a mirror and looked inside my vagina - what does a normal vagina look like inside? These strange 'growths' are up in the vaginal canal adn when I push they protrude out. One is very odd and has a valley or rift with small rough bumps in it. I will make a doc appt tmorrow but in the meantime I've very concerned!

Thank you all!
Unread 08-15-2010, 11:30 AM
Re: Worried about vaginal cancer - lump protruding from vagina

Well, IDK? All I know is that the vagina isn't smooth..it's ribbed and that's why condoms come that way so men can still feel a ribbed sensation for pleasure. However, I've never felt anything like what you are describing on me so I would call this in.
Unread 08-15-2010, 12:11 PM

You'd think by the time I'm the age I am (40s) I'd know what the inside of my vagina looks like! I've never actually examined it though. Can someone use a mirror and push/grunt and see if there are any round balls of tissue inside the vagina and if this is normal? I was dx with severe dysplasia and hpv 15 yrs ago but had cryo and normal paps since. I also had a hpv growth in my throat. G R O S S. I also have had melanoma. Thanks.
Unread 08-15-2010, 01:27 PM

wow. I can't see mine, no matter what I do. It's just as well! LOL

There are many different things the lumps could be. Polyps, rectocele. Head straight to the gyn.
Unread 08-15-2010, 01:57 PM

For what it's worth.......According to my Uro/Gyn, those lumps, bumps & bulges are from parts of the intestines next to the vagina. Supposedly it is normal.
Unread 08-15-2010, 05:44 PM

Well, I guess I'll find out soon. I plan to make an appt tomorrow. Thanks! I have not had any 'issues' in that region since HPV in college.
I wonder if it's a pelvic organ prolapse?
Unread 08-15-2010, 09:21 PM

Also, if it is a rectocele, be sure to get a 2nd opinion about treatment - my cousin was first told she would need an abdominal hysterectomy and have a length of colon removed. She followed up with her primary who sent her for a 2nd opinion. She ended up having to do pelvic floor physical therapy. She's much more careful about her diet and has been fine.

good luck with your appt.
Unread 08-15-2010, 10:01 PM

The marble shaped thing could just be the opening of your urethra, I guess it is a ball shaped. Rectoceles and uretroceles are really just where a muscle weakens or stretches allowing another organ to push it's way into the vagina.....sort of like a hernia into the vagina. Here's hoping that what you see is just an anatomical part that you never noticed before.
Unread 08-15-2010, 10:09 PM

Actually, the other thing you could be seeing which protrudes down when you bear down..... Is your cervix.... Do you still have a cervix? Ie, have you had a hyster? Depending onyour age and if you have had children, the uterus can "prolapse" down so you could actually see it (the cervix) with a mirror I guess. Again good luck
Unread 08-15-2010, 10:54 PM

After dealing with painful intercourse for sometime, my DH looked around down there (in my vagina) and found a lumpy lump. I made an appointment and went in for an exam. I did not mention the lump at first. The Gyn did not find it. It was covered by the speculum. So, I mentioned it. He called it a cyst and nothing to worry about. A month later, I went in and told him we still were dealing with painful intercourse. He decided to do a lumpectomy. It was still just a cyst as far as he was concerned. Three days later, I learned that I had vaginal cancer. I also had a "clean" pap. I am now "cured" according to my gyn/onc. So, it can be dealt with. Just please do go to the Doc and make them do a biopsy to make sure you are all right.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway