HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Realistic recovery time with TVH? Realistic recovery time with TVH?

Unread 08-26-2010, 11:26 AM
Realistic recovery time with TVH?

I am new to this site, and this is my first post. I am a 33 year old mother of two, 12 yr old son and 8 yr old daughter. I have had trouble with my periods (heavy bleeding, clots, severe cramps, fatigue, headaches, bloating, occuring at different times each month) since the delivery of my daughter after which I had a tubal ligation. For years we have rocked on with possible causes, one of which is my thryoid (hypothyroid). I have that issue regulated by taking levothyroxine daily. In March of 2009, I had an ablation and D&C done. That worked to stop the heavy bleeding, clots, etc. but I still would bleed enough for a light day pad to be used 1 or 2 days of the month which didn't bother me, because I knew that was a possible outcome. A few months ago, the severe painful cramps became worse which led me to visit the Dr. again. After doing another ultrasound for an updated view, she said that because of the uterine fibroid tumors (which we knew in March of 2009 before I had the ablation) which are on the inside and outside of my uterus that she feels that a vaginal hysterecomy of my uterus and cervix is the next step. She recommends TVH because my uterus is small. She also recommends keeping my ovaries because they are healthy. I have it scheduled for November 17. I am so glad I found this website and the wealth of information that is here!!

Now that you have my background story My question is about recovery time. Bladder tuct and all the other things that I have read about on here were not mentinoned for me, but I will be sure to ask my doctor when I go for the consult. My uterus tilts backwards, but I don't know of any issues that could cause? Is it realistic to plan on going back to work after 2 weeks with a TVH? I work in the banking industry with no heavy lifting or stairs. I live 10 miles from work also. Also is it feasible to think that I can drive my 2 children to school (also 10 miles) 11 days after surgery? I go for another appt to see my doctor Nov. 9th for any questions and Nov. 15th for my pre-admission. I don't want to wait that long for answers, because I need to be in the planning stages of who will do what for my children during my recovery time. Their father has to be at work before they even wake up for school, so that is not an option.

Thanks in advance! I am sure I will have many more questions along the way. By the way, all the lists of things on here to prepare before surgery and after surgery are wonderful resources to have......I am a "list" kind of girl!!

December76
Tubal Ligation 2002
Ablation/D&C 2009
Uterine Fibroids-TVH scheduled for Nov 17, 2010
Unread 08-26-2010, 05:14 PM
Re: Realistic recovery time with TVH?

and

Welcome to HysterSisters! We're glad you found us! You're going to find excellent support here!

I had my TVH over 6 years ago and I kept my ovaries. My uterus was also tilted and it didn't cause any issues with the surgery for me. I have also worked in banking and for me, I might have been able around the two week mark to go back part time, but that's really because I was so tired. I was still taking naps as needed at that time in my recovery. Three weeks would have been better for me. Be sure to discuss it with your doctor for his/her guidance about returning to work. The most important thing is not to overdo it and set your recovery back. You really do want to listen to your body and follow your doctor's instructions for your recovery.

My doctor told me I could return to driving at the two week mark. I took a very, very short drive at that time and returned home sore. I didn't realize how much I used my abdominals when I drove. By three weeks, no problems driving for me. Of course, you also need to be off of any pain meds before you start driving. That's another topic to discuss with your doctor.

That's my own personal experience. We all heal at our own pace.

When you have some time, please be sure to check out Hysterectomy Checkpoints and the Pre-Op Page. You'll find lots of great information to help you prepare for this journey! You can also direct your husband to MisterHysterSisters if he has any questions before your appointments.

I'm a list girl, too! Make all the notes and lists you need to! Please make yourself at home and wander around the site! We're glad you're here!

Deb
Unread 08-26-2010, 05:16 PM

I'm having a TVH next week so I'm interested in your questions also. MIL keeps telling me the recovery will be horrible but I can't see it being that bad since it's not an abdominal hyst.
Unread 08-26-2010, 05:38 PM

aces67 i just had this eact conversation with a friend of mine that did have TAH! i had TVH 8 days ago i have tried to drive to corner to get diet coke and it has turned painful. i get very tired just taking a shower I never expected these things to happen to me either! The best advice that I can give is to have a back up plan. if you are a planner which i am also the best thing i said to people was I have NO idea what is going to take place and i will have to get back to you on that. If you are worried about getting kids to school find another mom that can help you if you will be needing it. you might not. I am a dental assistant and originally planned to only be out 2 weeks and then go back half days after that. If i dont start feeling better in the next day or so I'm pushing that back! Rest Rest Rest is the best medicine whether or not you are in good shape or bad!
Unread 08-26-2010, 05:52 PM

I had a TVH. I went back to driving at a wk, to heavy work at 5 wks. I was cleared for office type work at 2 wks but my job has no light duty. I was tired so it would have been quite tiring by the end of the day. I was on Aleve (OTC) for 3 wks but was OK sitting or driving but 5 miles is all I had to go. I think if not 2 wks then maybe 3 would be a possibility if your Dr agrees. I had a pretty easy recovery with no complications. Pain was minimal, being tired was a bigger obstacle but everyone is different that way. If I could have gotten light duty I would have returned at 2 wks and rested at night----I wanted to, just didn't get the chance to try. I hope your recovery goes well.
Unread 08-26-2010, 09:55 PM

I've been wondering about this too. I'm young (31) having a TVH, and in very good health, except for the hyst related issues. When I asked my doctor when I could go back to work he said "when you feel up to it, a little at a time." But, that isn't really an answer to give the boss. So I asked if it is reasonable to think I might go to work a week later and he said possibly. I'm also planning a trip out of the country at 4 weeks out and he thinks I should feel fine, just no lifting any luggage - sorry DH.

He said a huge portion of the recovery is the patient and their general health going into the procedure, so anything you can do now to get your body in better shape for what is to come the better your recovery later.
Unread 08-27-2010, 08:10 AM

Thank you so much for all your replies! I know that I don't need to rush getting back to my normal schedule because that may prolong my recovery. I just don't need to be out of work more than 2 weeks because that is the amount of time I have built up in vacation and sick days. Anything past 2 weeks, means that I don't get paid

Again, thank you all for making me feel welcomed. This site is wonderful
Unread 08-27-2010, 06:11 PM

I had a TVH 5 weeks ago. I never had much abdominal pain. Did a short drive at one week, and at two weeks was driving my kids around. I had some bladder work done and got a UTI afterward, but otherwise recovery has been fairly easy.

I don't have a job with a regular schedule, but went back just shy of 3 weeks for a meeting that ended up lasting 5 hours! I ended up laying on the couch most of the next day.

My dr. told me 3-4 weeks, and I think at 3 weeks I felt pretty good, but was still resting for a couple of hours a day. I have been back to my normal routines this week, including working out, with no problems, although I went to the fair today and walked around for about 3 hours, which I now think was too much.

I also have a tilted uterus and wondered if that would have any effect. It sure didn't seem to.

Good luck to you. My best advice is to have a bunch of meals prepared and in the freezer ahead of time. That has been the biggest help to me and my hungry family!

Diana
TVH 07/21/2010 kept ovary
Adenomysis, anemia, fibroids
43yo
Unread 11-20-2010, 03:36 AM

I had a TVH with LSO on Nov. 17th and I came home yesterday evening. I work in the public school system and I've planned to take the 4 weeks before winter break off work plus then I have the 2 weeks at the holidays. I could potentially take another week off after winter break, if necessary but I doubt I'll need it.

Although my job is mostly a desk job, I do sometimes drive 150+ miles a week to get to meetings. That would be impossible if I'm still having abdominal soreness.

I understand the concerns about not getting paid past a certain amount of acrued vacation and sick time. I am counting my blessings that our teacher contract allows us to use Sick Bank days once we've used all of our own sick days and personal days AND after being docked 3 days of pay.

I know that personally for me, 2 weeks would be too soon. I wish all of you much luck, health, and happiness!!

Tammy
TVH w/LSO on 11/17/2010
Unread 11-20-2010, 08:40 AM

Just had TVH on November 1st. (Also posterier repair.) At 2 weeks I was still putting an icepack on my crotch sometimes. I had just stopped the Percacet so I could drive. I still get so tired. Finally went to Wal-Mart at day 17 post-op. Had a great time, and left the store when I started to waddle like a honeymoon virgin. lol. Was exhausted when I got home - needed to rest.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.