HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

back from surgery- it was  easy - here are some tips back from surgery- it was easy - here are some tips

Unread 10-28-2001, 08:18 AM
back from surgery- it was easy - here are some tips

Hi Everyone,

I had my surgery on 10/25 and everything went great. I had 3 fibroids, one very large, so my DR removed the fibroids and my uterus, and I was able to keep my overies - so I don't have to deal w/HRT isssues. I was on morphine the first night and felt no pain at all - that was great. My DR used some type of numbing med on my incision which made it much easier to get up and walk. It was easy to urinate the first time, no pain or anything. I found it easiest to roll to my side in order to get out of bed. Trying to lift myself straight up made my stomach sore. Once I got on my feet, I found that walking actually made me feel better and really helped w/ the gas issues. The more you can walk, the better and also drinking hot liquids will help. I would walk w/ my husband while he held my hot tea for me. I would highly recommend you take a heating pad w/you to the hospital. I used one and it was a God sent for dealing w/ the gas issues. I also used it on my back - as my back got sore when sitting in one position to long. I have to say i was totally obsessed w/ the pain issue before my surgery and I can honestly say that I experienced very little pain... I felt more of a pressure than pain, but even the pressure was nothing more than the feelings of mild period cramps. I can honestly say that this whole experience wasn't anywhere as painful or horrible as I imagined it would be. I do think having a DR that you trust and can talk to is very important and having a positive attitude is also key. No matter how scared i got, and I got very, very scared the night before surgery, I told myself I could handle whatever came my way and with alot of help from God, the Angels and so many wonderful people (including all my Hyster Sisters) this whole expereice was much easier than I ever expected. I even got to come home a day early! So, my advice to those who still are waiting for their surgery is to first try and relax and know that it really isn't as bad as your mind will make it out to be. Bring along a very soft pillow to use as support while you walk (this helped me so much), bring a heating pad which will help alot w/ gas issues and try and walk as much as you can after your surgery. Believe it or not, it made me feel better to be walking than to sit in my bed. If anyone has any questions, feel free to e-mail me , and I will try and give you as much support as I can. If I can do this, so can anyone else... I'm a certified Chicken when it comes to pain and this t was a piece of cake!
Unread 10-28-2001, 08:26 AM

Claire!
So happy that everything went well for you and you are on the road to recovery! I appreciate the tips (my castle day is this Thursday) Walk, walk, walk. I hear that over and over - so I won't forget! Thank you for your words of comfort and support! Just remember to take it easy!
Unread 10-28-2001, 08:47 AM

Hi Si,

Good luck Thursday. You will do fine. Yes I was also told to walk alot, but figured it would hurt to much. To my surprise, it was the best thing I did and made me feel great. I'm glad to be home and I'm taking advantage of all the R & R! You will be in my thoughts and prayers this week.
Unread 10-28-2001, 08:53 AM

hmm.... hot liquids sound good... Does anyone know if we're allowed to bring our own packets of hot chocolate or cider with to the hospital?

Glad everything when so good for you =)
Unread 10-28-2001, 12:07 PM

Hi Maesyn,

My hospital and nurses were great. I'm sure you can bring your own hot choc. or cider. As i was walking around, the nurses were making me hot drinks.for me....one that was great was cranberry juice mixed w/ ginger ale and then heated. YUM. I'm sure they won't mind you bringing anything w/you that will help make you feel better. Good luck, you will be in my prayers
Unread 10-28-2001, 12:50 PM

I am almost 1 and 1/2 yrs post op and I can tell you all the advice I got here was the biggest help. WALKING!!!!! and DRINKING HOT LIQUIDS!!!!, were the best things I could do. I too had a heating pad and I took my Jim Brickman Cd's to listen too to help drown out the hall noise and my room mates noise. She didn't visit our great site before coming to the hospital. If she had, she would have known all the great tips we get here. Everyone is so helpful. My daughter's mother in law just had her hysty and I sent her here to look up some tips that I might of forgot.

Our hospital had a small kitchen I could walk to and help myself to anything I wanted to drink or snack on. It was great.

I will never regret the surgery. I've had a year and 1/2 of pain free living and my emotions are back in tack.... my hubby and kids say Thank YOU!

Good luck and God Bless all those you are still in waiting.
Unread 10-28-2001, 01:14 PM

No one could be a bigger chicken than I am! But reading your message helped. I am a little wacko with worry at the moment and worried that my worrying will not help me at all. My surgery date is 10/31. I am having a TVH with bladder repair (sling). And I'm basically very unstable at the moment. Not sleeping well, but as ready as I'll ever be, which is not ready. Your message helped, just because it sounded like me. Thanks for the tips on hot pads and hot drinks.
Unread 10-28-2001, 02:18 PM
It's okay!

Judylo:
You sound just like me last week! I had a lavh & bso 10/23. I am doing very well, went for a walk around the block this afternoon. I told the anethesiologist I was afraid of waking up in "Agony", and he said he would put something in the IV that would allieviate pain when I woke up. He also said "This isn't an agony type of surgery." He was right on both counts! The pain was no worse than bad cramps I have had before. The morphine was some help, but the next day the oral pain meds seemed to really do the trick. Back pain was the worst. Do shift from side to side in your bed and bend your ankles & knees. You will probably sit up that night and walk the next day! And, keep !! I also had Gas-X handy in case I needed it. I am now sorry I put myself through a month of worrying myself sick! The worry IS the worst!! I will say a prayer for you 10/31.

New
Unread 10-28-2001, 02:54 PM
Thanks

Thank you for the encourageing words.
I have been putting off this operation for three years.
I just recently discovered this sight and am finding it very helpful to alleviate my concerns.
I live alone, and am imagining that I will be debilitated for about two weeks.
It was good to hear that you were up and walking so soon after surgery.
Don't get me wrong - I do not think that this will be a piece of cake, but now I am starting to feel that it will be manageable.
Thanks again.
Unread 10-28-2001, 03:15 PM
Hi Claire!

I just read you message and i to am waiting to go in the hospital.I have fibroids,Endometriosis,enlarged uterus.I hade a biopsy last week and im to call on Wed for the results. The gynecologist said he would just take the uterus,not unless the biopsy says different.I had myself just crazy with worry,but after reading your story has helped.Im glad your getting along so well after your surgery. Thanks

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.