HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

vivelle patch and weight gain!!!!! vivelle patch and weight gain!!!!!

Unread 09-02-2010, 03:45 PM
vivelle patch and weight gain!!!!!

I keep reading that this patch causes weight gain...Please share and help me understand if this is really true.....
Unread 09-02-2010, 03:53 PM
Re: vivelle patch and weight gain!!!!!

Hi there,
I have been on the Vivelle .1 patch for 4 mos. and other than some bloating on "patch days" I haven't really gained weight. Although I walk 2 miles a day and work at a school so I am pretty active. Usually the day of replacing a patch into the next day I am bloated. Hope this helps!
Unread 09-02-2010, 04:17 PM

Thank you! I wonder what causes the bloating. Its interesting that the bloating happens when its first applied.

You are active and Im sure that makes a difference as well. This week I started back at the gym and Im hoping that it will help me with my energy/fatigue. I feel tired and Im really trying to eat healthy, take my vitamins, and exercise to beat this fatigue. It has been 7wks since my surgery and i can only hope it will get better.

Thanks for sharing
Unread 09-02-2010, 04:35 PM

It is not the patch itself that causes weight gain, but hormone imbalance can cause weight gain. Many times women will blame it on the estrogen, but it might be from menopause. thyroid issues or too much or too little estrogen.

You can read more about this and much more in the articles at www.hormonejungle.com

P.S. I am 11+ years post op and have been on hrt the entire time and have not gained weight.
Unread 09-03-2010, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly39 View Post
Thank you! I wonder what causes the bloating. Its interesting that the bloating happens when its first applied.

You are active and Im sure that makes a difference as well. This week I started back at the gym and Im hoping that it will help me with my energy/fatigue. I feel tired and Im really trying to eat healthy, take my vitamins, and exercise to beat this fatigue. It has been 7wks since my surgery and i can only hope it will get better.

Thanks for sharing

I too am exhausted, I am also trying to cope with the horrific mood swings and have lost my romantic side. I wish there was an easy button for these things as well. I take vitamins and have changed my diet too! I hope it gets better for you, I think I am going to have my hormone levels checked, I was just trying to give this patch a chance (4 months). I like the patch but think I am missing something. I wish my friends and husband understood me as well as this site seems to! Good luck to you!
Unread 09-03-2010, 11:58 AM

One reason to consider if your patch is making you gain weight - get your thyroid levels checked! If your thyroid is low, or if you're using thyroid replacement hormones, and you do not have progesterone on board, then the estrogen will compete with thyroid for binding sites. This ends up with hormonal imbalance equals weight gain.

Fix thyroid first, always, before you balance estrogen.
Unread 09-03-2010, 12:11 PM

I do have a thyroid problem and have been treating it with synthroid for 3 months. I haven't noticed any change since meaning weightloss. At times its very discouraging...
Unread 09-03-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly39 View Post
I do have a thyroid problem and have been treating it with synthroid for 3 months. I haven't noticed any change since meaning weightloss. At times its very discouraging...
When I used synthroid and added vivelle dot patch, I gained weight immediately. Now I use armour thyroid and use vaginal estrogen, but most importantly, I added progesterone. Adding progesterone will change the way the estrogen and thyroid hormones are competing for binding sites so that they can both work. If you're on synthroid, check out the website: www.stopthethyroidmadness.com. Lots of info there on low adrenal symptoms you might develop as a result of being only on T4 replacement.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.