HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

"It's been 7 Months post-op and still have pain" "It's been 7 Months post-op and still have pain"

Unread 09-03-2010, 11:12 AM
"It's been 7 Months post-op and still have pain"

Hello Ladies: I got a full-hysterectomy in February of this year and I'm still suffering with pain...I have pain on my left side by my incision and anytime that area is pushed on, it doubles me over...My dr. cannot decide (since my surgery went so well) if she wants to do injections at that site to numb it or another laproscopy to see whats going on...In the meantime, sometimes I have pain in my upper stomach (in the middle) and wondered if I could still have gas inside from my surgery...I'm so lost and don't know what to do...They have done a ton of blood work as well as a CT scan with dye and I had to drink some yucky stuff as well and everything looked fine...I'm so worried that something is seriously wrong but I would think it would show on the CT scan because she said she could see everything, my bowel, my stomach, and my heart...The bottom line is its affecting my everyday life...I have to babies one is going to be 3 in October and the other will be 1 in November and I feel like I'm cheating them since I'm always in pain...
Unread 09-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Re: "It's been 7 Months post-op and still have pain"

I am so sorry that you are still in pain this far out. Hope you get some answers soon. I am 2 1/2 months out and still have a great deal of pain and I totally understand about it interfering with your daily life.
Unread 09-03-2010, 11:31 AM

Thank you for replying! It's nice to know that others understand and I hope you have a speedy recovery!!
Unread 09-04-2010, 09:24 AM

Hi,
Sorry that you are still having problems. I am about 11 months post op and am right there with you. Doc cannot figure out what my problems are either. I had a LAVH with only incision at belly button and one by right hip. I still have pain left of belly button incision and "period cramps" as well as swelling. I now have an incisional hernia. I am having that repaired on 9/22 by a general surgeon and my gyno will go in w/ a laporascope at the same time to take a look around. He sd it is rare but possible that they bowel adhered to the scarring which he sd cannot be seen on an mri or cat scan. General surgeon does not think the hernia has anything to do with my other aches and pains. Not looking forward to another surgery but hopeful. I have 2 kids as well but much older, 13 and 11. You must be so frustrated especially with such young children that require a lot of physical attention. I'm sorry that you are going through this but just wanted to let you know that I understand. I feel like I traded one problem for a new one. The constant aches and pain takes it toll on you and I know that you and I just want to be "us" again. Hopefully we will get there.
Unread 09-04-2010, 02:07 PM

Thanks for your reply October1...sometimes I feel as if the doctors think its ghost pain or something...How did they diagnose your hernia...my doctor thought maybe I could have one but she said it didnt show on my CT scan...I've had to go to the emergency room for it thinking maybe it was kidney stones but that wasnt it...I know something isnt right because I know this isnt normal for me...I have to call her back this week...to see where shes at with it now...On one hand she wants to do injections to numb that area by my incision that is so tender it doubles me over but on the other hand she wants to know if its something internal but she doesnt know how it could be because she said my surgery went so smooth...I have about all the same symptoms you are having...I'm like you I did this because I wanted to get rid of my pain but now I wonder if I did the right thing by having it done...I just feel like Im so useless to my babies...They are my entire world and they have to deal with a mommy who is in pain...

Again, thank you for your reply at least now I feel a bit better knowing Im not alone and Im not crazy...
Unread 09-05-2010, 10:56 PM

Endo Em,
Wow, I understand your frustrtion. My doc is understanding but he has looked at me like I am an alien sometimes with my complaints. Seems like if it is not in the medical books in the "normal" section then it does not make sense. He kept on talking about hormones and other stuff that had absolutely nothing to do with my problems. Finally at my last appt my husband sd "please listen to her". As far as the hernia, my bellybutton was always an inny my entire life and suddenly became an outy only on the left side, which is ironically the side that I have had my pain since about 1 to 2 months post op. You can push it back in but it always pops out. It is recommended to get it repaired now before it becomes serious. My gyno is at a loss so when he sd he would go in with a scope at the same time as the hernia repair I figured it could not be better timing. I am so hopeful that they will find something simple and take care if it because I am so done with feeling like an old woman at the age of 42. Yesterday I was weeding my garden and doing a little yard work that required a lot of bending and last night the cramps and pain were so bad that I felt like I would explode with my period or go into labor. Not a great feeling or does not make any sense obviously after having a hysterectomy. I hope you find some answers. Please be kind to yourself. You may feel like you are cheating your kids but you are not. They are so little that they really don't know any different. I get upset too thinking that I would have been better off dealing with horrible periods but then I recall them in my head and remember how I felt I was cheating my kids then. Obviously we can't go back or beat ourselves up over this. But believe me, I have thrown myself a few pity parties over the last several months. Just keep pushing with the docs to find an answer. Take a deep breath and enjoy your family the best you can. They love you regardless if you are chasing after them around the yard or if you are sitting quietly doing crafts. Please keep me updated on to what your doc has to say.
Heidi
Unread 09-06-2010, 06:54 AM

October 1.....When you mentioned that you did some weeding and yard work and all the bending you had to do and then the pain you had that night, I can so relate as far as the bending and pain. I am only almost 11 weeks out from a LATVH so Iam in no way ready for yard work but, I have tried to do my laundry and housecleaning and of course we all know that that requires lots of bending and I have severe period like cramps that feels like labor pains. I will have them for several days and barely be able to get around. I get the impression that my gyno who did my surgery thinks I am crazy. I have an appointment on Tuesday to see my GP about my right hip that has been hurting and sore since surgery and I am going to mention to her about this pain too. My Dr. almost had me believing it was in my head but after reading your posts I know I am not crazy. Thanks for posting and let us know what they find when they do your surgery. I will be watching this with interest.
Thanks!!

P.S. I am only 45 and had a very active life before all of this and just want to get back to my life like you guys without all this pain and misery.
Unread 09-06-2010, 11:29 AM

Heidi,

Thanks so much again...I can't begin to tell you how much better I feel knowing someone out there is going through the same thing...she said maybe I could have a hernia from the surgery but she's just not real sure about anything...I'm like you sometimes I think maybe I shouldnt have done this but then I remember how miserable I was when I had my periods...I will definately keep you posted on what she decides for the next step...and I also understand completely on doing chores seems like when I do to much I feel the same way and somtimes by the end of the day my stomach looks as if Im pregnant...I started to lose some of my baby weight after my daughter then I had this surgery and now I cant seem to shed this last bit of weight...Please keep me posted as well on you and how you are doing...

THANKS AGAIN!
Unread 10-27-2010, 07:08 PM

Hi Ladies,
Just checking in to see how everyone is doing. I had my hernia repair on 9/22 and the gyno went in at the same time to "take a look around". Well, they found adhesions going to my colon, left ovary, belly button, vaginal vault and a ligament that helps hold up the vaginal vault. Now I pray, knock on wood and keep my fingers crossed daily that they do not come back. Endoem and Counrtyliving (sorry if i got the names wrong) please let me know how you are doing,
Heidi

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.