HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

bleeding 3 weeks after total laproscopic hysterectomy bleeding 3 weeks after total laproscopic hysterectomy

Unread 09-03-2010, 05:00 PM
bleeding 3 weeks after total laproscopic hysterectomy

Hi,

I had a total laproscopic hysterectomy on August 18. The procedure went really well and I was discharged from the hospital the next morning. I felt great and didn't need to take pain medication for more than 2 days. I had no bleeding at all for one week, then I had a slight pink discharge. I am 3 weeks post op now but I have had bleeding that is bright red, kind of like a nosebleed for 2 days. My lower back is also very sore, feeling like period cramps but I don't have a uterus or a cervix anymore. Should I be concerned or is this just part of the healing process? I am getting a bit freaked out!

Thanks for your help.
Unread 09-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Re: bleeding 3 weeks after total laproscopic hysterectomy

Hi K2166,
Hope the bleeding stops soon and the pain goes away. I will just share with you what my Dr told me 2 days ago at my 1 wk checkup. I was told that if you start bleeding and cramping especially then you are not taking it as easy as you should. He said that is the way your body will alert you that you need to go slower. Spotting however, is normal I was told and you do spot as you heal and the stitches fall out for upwards of six weeks.
I would encourage you to talk to your Dr and most of all give you body some rest.
Hope you feel better real soon.
Hugs.
Unread 09-04-2010, 02:03 AM

Hi, I had spotting for many weeks after surgery, but not at first.. like you. The physician's assistant told me that when you first have the operation, the stitches are really tight, but then they start to loosen and there is often spotting associated with that. She said almost everybody starts to panic at that point. In my case, I did too much after two weeks and pulled a stitch and there was more blood to that. So, be sure and take it easy. If you are still spotting/bleeding at 6 weeks, there may be a spot that is not healing quickly and they can apply silver nitrate to help that. Good luck. Chris
Unread 09-04-2010, 06:51 PM

I had spotting from about 1 1/2 weeks post op until 6 weeks to the day. It was never heavy just annoying. The lower back pain lasted even longer. My Dr. explained to me just what Marlowwilliams' did regarding the stiches. It sounds like your symptoms are very normal. If you are concerned, check in with your Dr. but I think everything you are going through is a normal part of the process. Good luck and feel better.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.