HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

pre-surgery wash? pre-surgery wash?

Unread 09-04-2010, 11:59 AM
pre-surgery wash?

was anyone instructed to do a pre-surgery wash (night before or moning of surgery) i was not given any instruction but have read a lot about it on the internet
Unread 09-04-2010, 12:03 PM
Re: pre-surgery wash?

I do not have to do any specific prep for surgery. Was pleasantly surprised as I have seen the bowel prep & body wash comments from several of our sisters.

Guess they will do all the scrubbing they want to when I get there on Tuesday.
Unread 09-04-2010, 12:04 PM

I did not have to do a pre-surgery wash. When I woke up from surgery, I had been scrubbed and was stained orange. It took a couple showers to get the orange off.
Unread 09-04-2010, 12:20 PM

I did not have to do bowel prep. But, I was instructed to wash with Dial soap and not to use any lotions or deodorant before coming to surgery. I didn't specifically use Dial, but assumed the intention was for me to use regular soap and not body wash, etc. Everything was ok.
Unread 09-04-2010, 12:25 PM

At my pre op appointment I was given a bottle of antimicrobial soap to use the night before surgery (1/2 the bottle) and the morning of the surgery (the other half) from the neck down. I was told to use my regular shampoo and face wash and not to shave the surgical site. So I did shave my legs!
Unread 09-04-2010, 02:49 PM

My doctor said it cuts down on the risk for infection. Shower the night before and the morning of the surgery.
Unread 09-04-2010, 03:22 PM

I was told I could shower the morning of surgery. No powders or lotions on the skin though.
Unread 09-04-2010, 05:01 PM

Yes I got instructions. I have to shower the morning of, with two packs of Hibistat. Wash for 3 minutes from armpits on down. Rinse, and do it again with second pack.
Unread 09-04-2010, 05:41 PM

I was told to shower the night before and the morning of as well at my Pre-OP I was given 2 packets of what they want me to wash with. I also have to do bowel prep.
Unread 09-04-2010, 06:49 PM

No bowel prep here.....I've been told to wash with antibacterial soap three days prior to surgery.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.