HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Saying "hi" 6 years later, no HRT, feeling great! Saying "hi" 6 years later, no HRT, feeling great!

Unread 09-07-2010, 07:57 AM
Saying "hi" 6 years later, no HRT, feeling great!

I got my anniversary date reminder today and thought I'd check in to say "hi" to all my Hystersisters! What a wonderful memory returning to this website! This place and all of you were such a blessing to me before, during, and after my TAH in 2004. And that is an understatement!

6 years later I am doing so well that I don't even think about "managing" surgical menopause anymore. I am just feeling so great and have my strength and stamina and zest for life back 100%. I wanted to share this because I think it is important for others to realize that it CAN happen.

I was 49 when I had my TAH. I am now 55. Honestly, it took me about to the 4 year point to feel "balanced" physiologically without HRT. My MD only had me on a Climara patch for 6 months after the surgery and then recommended only vitamins and a healthy lifestyle. But I think the body needed close to 4 years to recover from the anesthetic, the loss of ovaries, and the trauma of the surgery.

Through that time I learned (for me, anyway) that times of emotional or physical stress set me up for hot flashes, fatigue, depression, mood swings, and mental cloudiness. So I was having those a lot at first and then less up to year 2-3.

Year 3 brought tremendous emotional stress in my life from outside events and those symptoms escalated. As those issues resolved I moved into a stronger physical place. By year 4-5 I only had a few instances of these symptoms when I would physically tax myself by strenuous hikes, yardwork, or over-doing other activities.

This past year I have felt the best I've ever felt-strong, balanced, invigorated. Gone are hot flashes, night sweats, I sleep like a baby, and I have energy to spare! Really this has been the majority of my experience from year 4 onward.

3 years ago I did have a hormone test to see what my levels were and my estrogen was about "normal" according to the MD. Just a tad below. I was amazed, but not surprized because I felt pretty good.

Today I take a multi-vitamin, fish oil, and eat a diet composed of mini-meals of carb/protein and stay away from sugar, white processed flour, and processed foods. I exercise lightly (walk, garden, ride a bike when I feel like it, golf). I nap liberally. I just feel comfortable in my body! I lost 30 lbs eating this plan and have 20 more to go. But at 55 I feel better than I did at 35. No more tampons!!!!

Sexual desire is really not so hot. Don't really have any. But then that is not a big issue for me in my current lifestyle. It might be for others. Everything DOES work but I have to use a lubricant to get it going. Just thought I'd throw that in for what it's worth. Initially things were different-no desire, no orgasm. Well, that's improved, just so ya know!

Going through the surgery changed my life in other ways as well and helped me get many new directions and priorities in my life. That's another long story and it's been told here before.

Just wanted to say now that I am doing well and there is "light at the end of the menopause tunnel"! For all my worries at the time, things worked themselves out with time. I hope this happens to all of you as well. I believe it will.

Love to all my Hystersisters!

Deb
Unread 09-07-2010, 10:37 AM
Re: Saying "hi" 6 years later, no HRT, feeling great!

Thanks for sharing with us on how you have done on no HRT. I agree that it gets better over the years with the symptoms and that diet and exercise help so much.

Wishing you continued good health!

Unread 09-08-2010, 01:47 PM

Great to hear! Thanks for coming back and putting this out there. Seems to be a lot of people willing to be on the site when they feel bad, and while we all want to help each other and support each other, it's nice to have someone put on a positive story of women doing well without hormones year to year.
Unread 09-09-2010, 10:59 PM

Thank you very much for you story. It is good to know that there is a happy light at the end of this tunnel.

I had my TAH/BSO on 12/18/09. I was hoping that the hot flashes would have been gone by now but no such luck. Bummer.
Unread 09-13-2010, 01:45 PM

Thank you SO MUCH for posting this! It really gives me and I'm sure a lot of other people hope that things WILL GET BETTER, whether we're on or off hrt.

Maddie
Unread 09-16-2010, 04:54 AM

I am only 3 weeks into my post op. I had TAH/BSO they slapped a patch on my butt when they discharged me. I have to be honest after 3 days I took it off. I want to see how my body balances out. So far so good. I have no mood changes. I was a bit tearful for the first 10 days after my surgery but I think that is just normal after such a major operation. The only problem I have is the night sweats but they are not really bad I have maybe one a night. I am going to wait to see how I am at my 6 week check and I will get a hormone test done. Despite having the surgery I still feel a huge desire for sex but Im not allowed until I get the all clear. So for me my body doesn't seem to need the HRT for now. Fingers crossed it stays that way. I dont see the point of forcing my body into that if it isnt required.
Unread 09-28-2010, 01:15 PM

Glad to hear that you are feeling wonderful. I had my initial partial abdominal hysterectomy over 10 years ago (35 years old). I had my right ovary out in 2007 and a few ovarian remnants/endometriomas removed and quite honestly, I don't have hot flashes, I don't have insomnia and now I feel somewhat normal. As far a sexual desire, I could use a little prodding, but with a little effort, everything still works. I am in the healthcare field and when I discharge a pt. who has had a hysterectomy, I always give a "little extra" teaching from personal experience. Love to all.
Unread 09-29-2010, 03:20 PM
Saying "hi" 6 years later, no HRT, feeling great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighann915 View Post
Glad to hear that you are feeling wonderful. I had my initial partial abdominal hysterectomy over 10 years ago (35 years old). I had my right ovary out in 2007 and a few ovarian remnants/endometriomas removed and quite honestly, I don't have hot flashes, I don't have insomnia and now I feel somewhat normal. As far a sexual desire, I could use a little prodding, but with a little effort, everything still works. I am in the healthcare field and when I discharge a pt. who has had a hysterectomy, I always give a "little extra" teaching from personal experience. Love to all.
Did you doc want you on HRT after you surgery 10 years ago or was there no need because u still had ovaries??
Do you think because u were older when ovaries were removed u could do without?
I have surgery next week to remove it all and doc wants to put me on HRT says because of my age, 33 in December.... But I have been reading of women younger who choose no HRT... I would rather not but I also don't want to risk my health... I am overwhelmed with everything...
Oh my grandmother on my mom's side died at 44 from ovarian cancer.
Unread 10-05-2010, 09:46 AM

Thank you so much for the encouraging letter!
Unread 10-05-2010, 10:06 AM

Atanis,

Goodluck to you on your surgery. I will keep you in my prayers. As far as HRT, I didn't need it because I still had one ovary. When the second ovary was removed, HRT wasn't brought up. Subsequently, I have had multiple ovarian remnants with masses and lots of pain and surgeries to go with them. I currently am in the diagnostic process of yet another ovarian remnant with mass and pain. Anyway, sorry for the distraction. I guess that HRT is a decision for you and your doctor to make. I am not a doctor, but I know from what I have researched on endometriosis, estrogen feeds it, so it is extremely important for the doc to remove ALL implants before going on HRT. Again, good luck and remember to be a "princess" after surgery.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.