HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

bladder sling causing problems bladder sling causing problems

Unread 09-11-2010, 09:24 PM
Unhappy - bladder sling causing problems bladder sling causing problems

hello sisters i had my hysterectomy and bladder sling on the 27 Th of July and have nothing but pain and problems . but last night took the cake . i went to the doc on Wednesday and the doc said i was healed good but when he did his exam it was so painful i almost felt like cring or hitting him one or the other . i went to see him due to having pain and my hubby feeling something sharp inside me still and feeling just raw inside after a day of cleaning alittle or walking to much . Ive had dizzy spells hives bruising pain . he said to get a ultrasound and ua both came back normal . and refured me to a urologist , and mentioned maybe having to remove the sling . last night me and hubby decided to try to well you know and he said it hurt him also i was in tears he had small scratches on his you know and said it felt like hitting a screen door sharp . i called the doc his nurse said he should not be feeling the mesh i argued with her all i know is if this is what i have to look forward to i want it out now .is it normal to feel that or is there something i should be worring about and looking for a diffrent doc
Unread 09-12-2010, 03:23 AM
Re: bladder sling causing problems

Hi Daisymay115,

No! What you are experiencing is not normal! I have the sling also (surgery June 16th) and have had issues since then also. my dr. also told me everything was normal....,but I have had urinary tract infections for three months now, I have an small rough area inside (but not anything sharp....yet), I have a very sore swelling where the stitches were on the left side above the pubic bone and a pulling sensation there. My bladder has never really been the same and sometimes peeing really, really hurts in the bladder area. I also sometimes have the idea that there is alot of gas coming from the urether somehow....there is this strange sound....

Anyway, I have alot of problems and other have had those as well. I hope your find someone who will actually listen! I have a second opinion sceduled for September 22nd. Wish you all the best and hope all works out well for you!
Unread 09-12-2010, 08:48 PM

Hi Daisymay115,

Is it a possibility that you still have some stitches that haven't come out? I know some of mine took a bit of time and I kept having to go back to have them checked as they were taking longer than normal. I remember my Dr. also talking about one being sharp and she may have done something with it.

I had an LAVH and urethral sling 3 years ago. I have a new set of issues which brings me back. But, wanted to tell you my recovery was not normal. I had to self cath for 3 months, multiple UTI's and basically had no muscle tone or anything. Dr. didn't know what to do with me, was referred to Uro who ran another set of urodynamics, and a cystoscopy . I failed the urodynamics miserably. He then felt I had a neuro issue that was triggered with the surgery. I had MRI's of everything and it all came back normal. They then wanted to send me to Baylor. By this time 5 months later I had, had enough and at times things were a little better. I ended up going to a urogyn who said it appeared I had a very complicated recovery and wanted me to go to PT. Things did improve but it took an entire year.

I do think these things happen, but when it has never happened to a Dr (my was a gyn) they just aren't sure what is wrong or what should be done.

New issues are a cystocele and rectocele which are causing issues. I am seeing a new urogyn, but can't get in until Nov. I'm interested to see what he says and if we do surgery which gyn said will ultimately need to be done, if he thinks I'll have these issues again.

Did an ob/gyn perform your surgery, or a urogyn? If it was an ob, see a urogyn and get a detail exam to figure how what is going on.

Keep us updated.

Peyton
Unread 09-12-2010, 10:15 PM

it was a obgyn that did it . i have to call the uro tomorrow
Unread 09-13-2010, 03:47 PM

Sound like the mesh sling is eroding through your vagina to me. I had that happen with another kind of mesh (posterior repair) and it was exactly like you describe. Sometimes its hard for the doctor to see it because of the folds in the vagina.
I had mine removed and also had a sling made from my own fascia put in for stress incontinence. This was done 4 years ago and no more problems with sex or stress incontinence!

Good luck. I'd recommend a urogynecologist who is familiar with mesh problems.
Unread 09-13-2010, 04:05 PM

thank you for the info now to find a urogyno somewhere that knows what there doing . i may have to call the mayo clinc i think
Unread 09-13-2010, 04:40 PM

I saw a urogyne at the Mayo Clinic. He was great. His name begins with K. He was the only one I could find in the Twin City area willing and able to help me.
Unread 09-13-2010, 05:11 PM

thank you so much im going to look it up now .
Unread 09-23-2010, 01:49 PM

I wasn't sure if a sling could be made of your own fascia? I as well have painful sex and still having issues with leaking. I had to have my sling cut..Dr. insisted this would help because she thought it was too tight. I have had groin pain, pain in vagina, lower back pain..and now that she cut the sling leaking again and worse than before. Her response to all this is to have a Burch procedure done. I will be going back to a Uro/Gyne for his opinion instead. I am so tired and frustrated of all the procedures. If I had to choose..I would have never had the TVT done had I known It was going to cause all this pain and damage.
Unread 09-23-2010, 11:06 PM

I had my TVT procedure in April and am still wetting my pants and not making it to the toilet in time. I also have groin pain and pins & needles in my groin and inner thigh. I am on OXYTROL Patches which are supposed to help with retraining the bladder and they make me very sleepy.
I find that this whole situation is making me very frustrated and depressed. I have seen my Uro/gyno and he doesnt seem to be too concerned about anything.
I have purchased a electronic stimulus machine to help train my muscles and find it helps very little.
Any advise would greatly be appreciated.
thanks for all the support so far, I do value it
Cheeki

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.