HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Sonohysterogram/hysterosonogram.. Sonohysterogram/hysterosonogram..

Unread 09-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Sonohysterogram/hysterosonogram..

I am still in the stages of trying to find out exactly what the issues are that are causing pain, and abnormal bleeding/discharge. I had an ultrasound a couple weeks ago that reveals some abnormal findings in my uterus (thick lining-post ablation, small endometrial growth, fluid in endo canal etc..plus complex ovarian cyst..) The radiologist and gynecologist decided I needed a hysterosonogram to further assess etc.. Anyway, I am having this done Monday, and am kind of nervous. Not sure what to expect. I hear they put fluid into the uterus and then ultrasound it...also nervous about what they might find...or do next. I kind of think all this is bringing me to an eventual hysterectomy (after a long history of gyn issues.)...anyway...

Just wondering if anyone here has had this done, and if so what it was like.
Unread 09-12-2010, 08:29 AM
Re: Sonohysterogram/hysterosonogram..

Small endometrial growth could be a polyp (probably benign). I had 2 of these removed at different times prior to my DVH. Did they give you something for the pain of the sonohysterogram (like vicodin)? It hurts, but does not take very long. I took vicodin and still held tightly to the book I took with me. If they find something(the growth), do they plan on taking a biopsy? That will hurt more. If they did not give you anything for pain, at least take ibuprofen or aleve beforehand.
Unread 09-12-2010, 10:33 AM

Yikes! No meds were offered or suggested to take before procedure..now Im really scared. It's a radiologist trained to do this at an outpatient radiology dept. Nothing was said about a biopsy. I was told by gyn's nurse that it was purely for more information that was needed to know what to do next. I had a polyp before (that was removed during my Novasure Ablation a couple years ago). I also had two pre-cancer polyps in my colon removed about 6 months ago...i guess Im a polyp kind of girl. (age 37). Anyway, I don't know why the fuss of this hysterosonogram this time (last time, I had no further testing...just had the ablation) But I don't have "periods" anymore now, since my ablation. What I do have is a frequent clear mixed with old/black blood discharge almost every day for the last several months and a lot of pelvic pain and pressure. I wouldn't describe it as a "period" but more of a discharge and no pattern to it or cycle...ugh.

Well thank you for responding.
Unread 09-12-2010, 10:48 AM

If they are not doing the biopsy you may not need the narcotics for pain, but maybe just the ibuprofen or aleve for the discomfort of the saline going through your cervix and into the uterus.

Dont' sweat it if there's no biopsy.
Unread 09-12-2010, 12:43 PM

You'll want to take the ibuprofen at least an hour before hand. You can also take tylenol with the ibuprofen as they are 2 different types of pain relief. I get the best results if I take this 2 hours before procedures. (it also works wonders before tattoos!)
Unread 09-13-2010, 06:26 PM

Well, I had the test earlier this afternoon. Not too bad, although I was super nervous. There were uncomfortable parts with pain (but quick and short). The doctor was very gentle, and careful to not hurry...he would take a break anytime I had pain. There were two of those growth/polyp things, and they could only get part of the uterus to expand. The other part wouldn't "open"...he said it was stuck shut (probably adhesions/scarring). He said he would get a report to my doc and I go back to meet with the gyn on Friday. The radiologist felt a hysteroscopy would be a better way to really assess the growths. (and remove them). Anyway..the cramping since the procedure has been worse than the pain during the HSG. The shooting down my legs kind of cramping..ugh. All in all, it wasn't nearly as bad as I feared. I took both Motrin and Tylenol an hour before.
Unread 09-13-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJS777 View Post
Well, I had the test earlier this afternoon. Not too bad, although I was super nervous. There were uncomfortable parts with pain (but quick and short). The doctor was very gentle, and careful to not hurry...he would take a break anytime I had pain. There were two of those growth/polyp things, and they could only get part of the uterus to expand. The other part wouldn't "open"...he said it was stuck shut (probably adhesions/scarring). He said he would get a report to my doc and I go back to meet with the gyn on Friday. The radiologist felt a hysteroscopy would be a better way to really assess the growths. (and remove them). Anyway..the cramping since the procedure has been worse than the pain during the HSG. The shooting down my legs kind of cramping..ugh. All in all, it wasn't nearly as bad as I feared. I took both Motrin and Tylenol an hour before.
Dear RJS:

Thanks for the update. I hope that your symptoms subside quickly and that your gyn will have some good results for you on Friday.

I am sending huge cyberhugs

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.