HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Third Degree Uterine Prolapse Third Degree Uterine Prolapse

Unread 09-17-2010, 10:07 PM
Third Degree Uterine Prolapse

I am turning 33 and have 3rd degree Uterine Prolapse with bladder & bowel prolapse as well. My symptoms are frustrating, painful and annoying, but not unbearable. I am re-married for 6 years now and have 4 children and... a happy healthy sex life for the first time ever! My OB/GYN says I don't have to have a hysterectomy now and can wait until my uterus is "outside" so to speak or until my bladder & bowel issues are more extreme. I am thinking it is better to do it while I am young and healthy rather than wait until the symptoms are brutal and I am older and have less energy & stamina. My biggest fear to be honest is that I am going to have no sex drive and go back to being disinterested in sex. This may sound shallow, but being a married woman, my sex drive is very important to me. I am open to all suggestions, stories etc... to let me know what your experience(s) have been and what you recommend. I would be having the uterus & cervix removed and keeping both ovaries. Also, the whole weight gain thing, is that a common occurance? Is it likely that I will gain weight after the surgery regardless of my food intake and activity level? Sorry for all of the questions, I just want to make sure I am making an informed decision. Thank you for your help in making the best decision for me and my family.
Unread 09-18-2010, 12:43 AM
Re: Third Degree Uterine Prolapse

Hi tarannedoyle:

Perhaps you would be a candidate for a pessary until your surgery? Here is a link to the Stories forum: http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Welcome to Hystersisters...
Unread 09-18-2010, 08:54 AM

Hi! My obgyn said I really wasn't a candidate for a pessary as I am young and have an active healthy sex life. He said you can't really have comfortable sex with a pessary and it wasn't a long term solution. I am going to check out the link you sent me. Thank you very much.
Unread 10-19-2010, 07:29 PM

I can't answer your questions, but I'm in a similar situation as you are. I am 37 and just figuring out what I'm going to do about my prolapsed uterus, bladder, and rectum. I'm bummed about the whole surgery thing, and I'm feeling old all of a sudden. It's going to be difficult to take all that time off of work, I don't have much in savings. I'm used to being active. My prolapse is to the point where I can't run or jump, lift anything heavy, and even being on my feet during the day is too much. I just wanted to send a hello, it is comforting to know I'm not the only one going through this.
Unread 10-19-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winsomehill View Post
I can't answer your questions, but I'm in a similar situation as you are. I am 37 and just figuring out what I'm going to do about my prolapsed uterus, bladder, and rectum. I'm bummed about the whole surgery thing, and I'm feeling old all of a sudden. It's going to be difficult to take all that time off of work, I don't have much in savings. I'm used to being active. My prolapse is to the point where I can't run or jump, lift anything heavy, and even being on my feet during the day is too much. I just wanted to send a hello, it is comforting to know I'm not the only one going through this.
Hi! I am totally feeling the same way. I am more nervous about the repairs than the hysterectomy itself. I too can't really afford the time off work and my recovery time runs right through Christmas. As I get closer to my surgery date I become more nervous and yet, I know I need to be fixed.

I don't run or jump, but I don't think my prolapse is as progressed as yours. My bladder & rectum have been affected and I know that has to be fixed soon before it gets even worse.

I would love to keep up with you and see how you are doing. I forgot to read if you have your surgery booked yet. I will look & see.

Hopefully we will both have an amazing experience and quick recovery. That would be wonderful!
Unread 10-24-2010, 11:42 AM

Hi,

For at least the past 7 years, I have suffered with uterine prolapse along with a cystocele and a rectocele. I credit 2 very poor episiotomies with my troubles. I already had to have my rectum repaired 14 years ago to tighten the sphincter since the muscles were cut during childbirth.

I am 48 and just plain tired of not being able to do active things. I am a teacher and have always been out there on the playground with my children. No more without needing to change my clothes! Poise pads only work so well... Sneezing, coughing, laughing, or startling are also dreaded activities.

I have also seen my overall physical fitness suffer as any heavy lifting or exertion brings on days of pain and pressure. I truly think that my self-limitations on physical activity have contributed to my worsening osteoporosis!

I am on a first name basis with my cervix since every time I sit down on the toilet, it pops out to say hello! I cannot imagine that it is healthy for something that is supposed to be inside to always be hanging around in an area where it is exposed to excrement and urine. Cleaning myself after a trip to the bathroom is always a challenge. Wet wipes are a must.

The pressure of having everything bulging into my vagina is most definitely an issue when considering sex with my husband. Sometimes it just is not appealing or comfortable. The added fear of a leaking bladder or bowel is embarrassing and a mood buster indeed.

I have had a pessary for several years now, but believe it is a contributing factor in frequent uti's. I have decided that my only relief for this situation is a total hysterectomy. My surgery is scheduled for November 19. Since my mother has had breast cancer, my doctor thinks it is best to take my ovaries as a preventive measure. Additionally, I have several large fibroids. I am nervous about the surgery and concerned about weight gain, lack of sexual interest or response afterwards, and am determined to not use hrt. My mother's breast cancer was positive for hrt.

I guess I just wanted to share with others who might understand my frustration and embarrassment, but I also want to encourage you younger ladies to not wait to act. I have endured and suffered more than I should have allowed myself. I have high hopes that despite my concerns my life will be better after I recover from my surgery.
Unread 10-26-2010, 02:54 PM

I'm 37 and plan to have a hysterectomy in Jan 2011 due to uterine prolapse and rectocele. Don't have a date scheduled because they only book 2 months out.

I can't exercise anymore. Can't go shopping for long periods at a time. And honestly, sitting at my desk at work even bothers me at times. Sex is infrequent because of the same reasons sandralyn mentioned.

What type of hysterectomy do y'all plan to have? My doctor wants to do a TVH. He's planning on leaving my ovaries.
Unread 10-26-2010, 05:53 PM

I am 44 years old and am 6 weeks post op today from a TVH, returning to work tomorrow with no restrictions.
I too had a 3rd degree prolapsed uterus and bladder. (No rectum issues, thank goodness) I can say it has been a blessing having this fixed. I no longer pee on myself and don't have to worry about the pain of the utrine prolapse.
I had my 6 week post op visit with my OB/GYN yesterday and he said that I had the vagina of a teenager, due to the A/P repair. I'm sure my husband will be loving this, LOL.
My future is bright once again. I will be able to play with my 3 year old grandson for the first time without any restrictions. I also am able to get off the iron due to no more periods, WHOOHOOO!!!
I hope this helps in your dession on your surgery. Look to the Bright side of surgery.....a normal life again.

Good Luck
Unread 10-26-2010, 07:02 PM

Hi Sandralyn & Piglet...

I am having a TVH with both repairs and vaginal reconstruction. My prolapse is not as advanced as both of yours however I am getting the surgery now before it is too bad and does more damage than it already has. Wow, it sounds like it has been rough.

I am keeping my ovaries as well which makes me happy, but if they had to go, I would deal with that. Most stories I have heard about recovery regarding this surgery have been pretty positive. I know it won't be easy, but I plan to follow the Dr.s orders to the letter. I am planning to try to eat really healthy so that I don't gain tons of weight either. We shall see how it goes.

I wish you all well and it will be nice to go through this together!
Unread 10-26-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhperez View Post
I am 44 years old and am 6 weeks post op today from a TVH, returning to work tomorrow with no restrictions.
I too had a 3rd degree prolapsed uterus and bladder. (No rectum issues, thank goodness) I can say it has been a blessing having this fixed. I no longer pee on myself and don't have to worry about the pain of the utrine prolapse.
I had my 6 week post op visit with my OB/GYN yesterday and he said that I had the vagina of a teenager, due to the A/P repair. I'm sure my husband will be loving this, LOL.
My future is bright once again. I will be able to play with my 3 year old grandson for the first time without any restrictions. I also am able to get off the iron due to no more periods, WHOOHOOO!!!
I hope this helps in your dession on your surgery. Look to the Bright side of surgery.....a normal life again.

Good Luck
Thank you so much for posting, I can speak for myself and say it is so nice to hear you are doing well... very encouraging! I hope your recovery continues and you enjoy your new body! that is great!

I hope to have a good story to tell as well, I am 4 weeks pre-op and getting more nervous all the time!

Thanks again!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.