HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Abdominal Bruising After Surgery Abdominal Bruising After Surgery

Unread 09-18-2010, 09:26 PM
Abdominal Bruising After Surgery

I am 3 days post op and have been experiencing horrible gas pains and gas-ex is not helping. One side of my stomach is almost flat but the other is so swollen and bloated that it jiggles and feels like jello when I walk. Is this normal? Not only is the one sided hanging belly annoying but I also have a palm sized bruise on that side of my lower stomach. My surgery was a TLH but the left side is the only side showing this. Has anyone else experienced this amount of bruising? During surgery, the doctor nicked my bladder. She said it was repaired with no problem but now I'm wondering if that's where the bruising is coming from, especially since I am on lovenox (blood-thinner) for the next few days due to a history of pulmonary embolisms from birth control pills.

I know I'm throwing alot out there but I'm hoping to get as much input as possible before my 1 week follow-up appointment in 4 days.
Unread 09-19-2010, 01:01 AM
Re: Abdminal Bruising After Surgery

Hello Tmitch,

I had da vinci laproscopic hysterectomy on Monday and my larger incision has a pretty good sized bruise around it too. Probably not as big as a palm but definitely a largish bruise.

I think this is where they were manipulating the instruments inside the most. Your bruise is probably larger because of the blood thinners, they would make you have larger bruises.

My swelly belly is not uniformly swollen either. It's sort of lumpy. I think this is totally normal. Be glad at least half of your belly is flat!!!

Good luck with your recovery and hopefully the doctor can answer all your questions. I don't go until 3 weeks post op so I'm keeping a list!
Unread 09-19-2010, 03:12 AM
Re: Abdminal Bruising After Surgery

Hi kat42.

Thank you so much for the response. I hadn't considered that the bruising may seem worse due to th blood thinner! I think I'm probably being ultra sensitive since Im not feeling so great at the moment.
Unread 09-19-2010, 08:00 AM
Re: Abdominal Bruising After Surgery

Tmitch,

After I replied I went and looked in the mirror at my bruise. It's larger than I thought and quite a spectacular shade of yellow. It's the size of my palm at least. One of the other incisions also has a bruise, not quite as large, on the opposite side. I think they are probably normal.

Kat
Unread 09-19-2010, 10:50 AM

I had really bad bruising too, even though I had the other kind of surgery. It took weeks to go away. One side was more sore than the other because that is the side they moved the instruments on. It is normal. When you are not feeling well it is easy to worry. Just rest up & you should be fine. Best wishes.
Unread 09-22-2010, 12:19 AM

Im so sorry you are having problems... I had zero bruising, I was like what? Dr told me I didnt bleed.. trippy!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.