HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

How long after surgery did you continue to take your pain meds? How long after surgery did you continue to take your pain meds?

Unread 09-18-2010, 10:44 PM
How long after surgery did you continue to take your pain meds?

Hi all,

I'm 7 days post-op and am curious to know your duration on pain meds.

I know it's different with everyone, depending on type of surgery and individual healing time, but it seems to me there's a point where you want to start weening yourself off.

I was prescribed Oxycontin (12hr slow release) and Oxycondone (for in between).

For the 1st few days after sugery I was taking contin every 12 hrs and 1-3 condone every 6hrs.

I've tried to nix the condone all together-if the pain is manageable- and just do the contin every 12hrs.

Bottom line if I'm in pain that's hard to ignore, I'll take a pill, so as to not prolong my over all healing time, but I don't want to over do it.

Thoughts?
Unread 09-18-2010, 10:58 PM
Re: How long after surgery did you continue to take your pain meds?

I took hydromorphone for 3 wks, I think it helped me heal. I needed to be quiet, sleep and not move about much. I did my daily walks and all.

Week 4 I switched to celebrex. Tried tramadol but it did nothing. Last week my 9th I switched to one aleve per day.

I also did a lot of ice, and even now I still ice before bed, also at work I usually do one ice pack a shift, I just stuff it in my binder
Unread 09-18-2010, 11:07 PM

I'm on Percocet and Motrin. The Percocet is precribed for every 4 hours which means that I really take it every 3 1/2 hours. I take the Motrin with the Percocet whenebver I remember. The pain first thing in the morning and towards the end of the day help me remember.
Unread 09-18-2010, 11:38 PM

I take percocet and Motrin 2 percocet every 4 hrs and 1 motrin in between, I'm down to taking 2-4 percocet a day vs taking it every 4 hours like I did in the beginning. I'm 10 days post op was prescribed 45 percocet in the beginning. I only have 4 left I think i'm going to have to call my dr office for more this week, not that i'll take them alot but I dont wanna be in pain either.
Unread 09-19-2010, 12:04 AM

I was on morphine drip in the hospital and prescribed 40 T3's for home. I was taking them every 4 hours (6 per day). I have one left. So I guess 2 days in hospital, 6 1/2 days on meds. Have had to take an occassional Advil here and there but nothing else.
Unread 09-19-2010, 02:55 AM

I was given 800mg. Motrin to take 3X a day for 10 days, and was told to finish all of them for inflammation. And, percocet every 4-6 hours as needed. I tried to stop the percocet after the first couple of days, and then decided I was just going to take it, rather than wait for the pain to get TOO bad. So, I took it for about 1 wk, and then just took it before bed. I am just over 2 wks post op, and haven't taken any in a few days. But, will still take it at night if I feel I need it.

I tried Motrin PM the night before last - and slept like a baby! Best nights sleep since the surgery!
Unread 09-19-2010, 11:33 AM

Percocet (oxycodone) every 4 hours plus 600 mg ibuprofen every 6 hours. While continuing the ibuprofen, after 1 week was down to one percocet every 6 hrs or so, after 2 weeks was biting them in half and taking just 1/2 a percocet every now and then. I didn't need them for the incision anymore but I had a burning pain off to the side that I figured out was where they had clamped my open during TAH and crushed nerves and tissues. It took me over 3 weeks to stop the percocet altogether. I often needed a little bit of pain med at the end of the day until after 3 weeks.
Unread 09-19-2010, 12:39 PM

Hi Mei Mei,
I wonder if that's what they did to me as well? I have more pain in my right pelvic are than the left side where they took my ovary.
However I did notice a bruise on my upper left inner thigh, that wasn't there yesterday. Yet one more thing to add to my question list.

All, thanks for sharing! This is very helpful.
Unread 09-19-2010, 01:02 PM

I was on pain meds around the clock the first 2 weeks, every 4 hours hydorcodone, and advil every 6....after 2 weeks I started to go every 6 hours....and then kind of worked from there...by week 5 I was only taking advil...now at 12 weeks I still have to pop half a pain pill now and again...but very rarely
Unread 09-19-2010, 03:17 PM

I am so glad I read this post!!! I am 3 days post op and only taking Advil (2 every 6 hours)....I thought that was what I should be down to. When I left the hospital yesterday, they told me to fill a presciption for tylenol #3. They warned me that they might cause me to be dopey, and if that was the case to just take Advil. I was quite dopey on the tylenol, so I switched to Advil. Starting to get down on myself for feeling like a wimp because the pain is too much!...I'm going back on my Tylenol #3 for a while longer!!!! Pain isn't bruital, but draining.

Thanks everyone!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.