HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Why is Vacuuming Off Limits? Why is Vacuuming Off Limits?

Unread 09-24-2010, 06:59 PM
Why is Vacuuming Off Limits?

I've got an Orek that only weighs 9 pounds. Can't I vacuum? If I don't move anything, try to haul it upstairs and just go slow it should be ok, right? I'm not really asking anyone for permission, I'm just trying to figure out why it is on the taboo list. Three weeks post op, I'm back to work at my desk job, and I've been cooking and washing dishes for more than a week now.
Unread 09-24-2010, 07:04 PM
Re: Why is Vacuuming Off Limits?

I believe it's because it uses a ton of abdominal muscles. I realized that the hard way. It takes a lot of muscles to push a shopping cart also.
Unread 09-24-2010, 09:40 PM

At some point that vacuum ban has to lift, I think earlier with a light vacum. I think when you can lift you can vacuum. But when that is depends on your Dr. I wouldn't guess it would be much longer. My vacuum weighs a lot and I could really tell but a light vacum should be better. Never thought I'd want to vacuum but after a while I just could hardly wait.
Unread 09-24-2010, 11:10 PM

heh heh, isnt that funny, cuz Im the opposite.. I wonder why anyone would even want to do anything while they have a six weeks or more to take it easy!!! Yours is not to question why! heh heh.. BELIEVE ME, if I can take it easy anyone can.. Im so hyper and I actually enjoyed my down time. For the first time I didnt feel guilty doing nada!! HEH ENJOY!! THE ban is there for a reason, and I have read on here WAY TOO MANY ladies regret doing something they were told not to do. ONE CHANGE To heal right.. so I say take it!! GOOD LUCK HAPPY HEALING!
Unread 09-25-2010, 03:50 AM

WAIT! I have an Oreck as well. I can lift it with one finger. I was a very good patient and waited until the all-clear at 6 weeks to vacuum. Whoa!

I only did one room and then had to rest. My whole torso was sore! You won't ever regret waiting but you just might regret jumping the gun.
Unread 09-25-2010, 07:10 AM

The only vacuuming that should be done is by someone else or a robot vacuum. You can hurt yourself if you drop something and just try to pick it up from the ground. DR says no bending, twisting, lifting of anything. If you feel good--keep it that way until the DR says OK you can vacuum now.
Unread 09-25-2010, 07:33 AM

mahodgman,
I to could not wait till I could vaccum again.... I know we sound crazy HAHA I think we need to have a little bit of control back in our homes and I know I felt very guilty for just laying there.. HAHa seems crazy now... I tried to vaccuum and I sooo regretted it. If you think about how you push the vac back and forth even small sweeps you use alot of muscles down your arm and in your stomach.. Doesnt seem like it i guess because we are so used to it.. Try pushing your arm like you are vaccumming and hold your hand on your abs. or on your obliques. You can feel them move. This of course is just my story and my advice. I know its hard ...very very hard... But please wait it out... Your recovery time will be shorter and you will start to feel better soon... It helped me.. I hope It helps you even a little....
Unread 09-25-2010, 07:40 AM

I'm right there with you guys..Doc gave me the ok to ease back in to my daily routine , just minus intercourse and lifting heavy things..My vacuum is heavy but not to bad , I vacuumed my bedroom , closet , living and dining room and feel like I have done 6,795 crunches...LOL!!!! I am almost to my 6 week point , I did it day before yesterday so that put me at 5 weeks 2 days...I'd say unless you want to eat Advil for 2 days " LIKE THIS CHICK" then wait it out for a bit..I WILL NOT be doing that again for a couple more weeks..LOL! Not to mention I swiffer Mopped my floors the same day , Never mind the fact they were so dirty I had to change the little pad thing 3 times..YUCK! so I totally over did it and am crampy and paying for it! I am also having some weird muscle spasms all over the place , I'm guessing because they are like "WHAT IS THIS" we have been sleeping for almost 6 weeks! they are protesting..HAHAHA!
Unread 09-25-2010, 07:58 AM

I vacuumed a bit too early as well. And while my vacuum is fancy and lightweight ... I hated myself afterward. I assure you those dustbunnies can wait a few more weeks.
Unread 09-25-2010, 08:44 AM

Ok, ok, you all have convinced me not to try vacuuming too early! I've got people coming over next weekend, and my house is dirty! Unfortunatley, dh is disabled and often can't do much housework. My company will just have to deal with the pet dander and dustbunnies I guess. The sad thing is that I feel really good, and my doc doesn't even want to see me again unless I've got problems, so I'm not really sure when I can do what other than the general guidlines they give everyone for post op. I assume sex needs to wait until 6 weeks, and I assume lifting will be ok after 6 weeks, but I don't know for sure.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway