HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Hysterectomy and Insurance Hysterectomy and Insurance

Unread 09-28-2010, 11:10 AM
Hysterectomy and Insurance

I know this seems like a stupid question, but how far ahead of the surgery did you contact your insurance company? I have never had any kind of proceedure or surgery, and just am not sure where to start with all the preparations and when...my surgery is scheduled for Nov. 8th.
Unread 09-28-2010, 11:20 AM
Re: Hysterectomy and Insurance

I didn't contact my insurance company. In fact, I haven't for any surgery for myself or family members with any insurance company. Generally, the doctor's office contacts the insurance company for you regarding a surgical procedure as they want to be sure they are going to be paid before going forward!

I would suggest calling your surgeon's office and asking if they will be handling all of the insurance issues for you. If not, then contact your insurance company right away so you have time to make sure all the paperwork is in place at the right time.

s
Unread 09-28-2010, 11:27 AM

Originally I contacted mine as soon as I knew I was going to have surgery. But when I changed surgeons, the second surgeon's office contacted them.
Unread 09-29-2010, 01:31 AM

Yes, I agree, I think my Dr office checked with the INS company, I never heard from them until they sent me the PAID IN FULL BILL! WOW, would be paying that off forever it I didnt have INS!
Unread 09-29-2010, 08:18 AM

I'm scheduled for surgery in 2 weeks and my doctor's office sought approval from <> about 8 weeks ago. I got my pre-authorization letter in the mail about a week later.

Your doctor's office should have a scheduler that handles all of this for their patients. Give them a call now and make sure you're covered. Yoou don't want to be caught off guard with co-pays and deductible you weren't expecting to pay beforehand.
Unread 09-29-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarBow View Post
I know this seems like a stupid question, but how far ahead of the surgery did you contact your insurance company? I have never had any kind of proceedure or surgery, and just am not sure where to start with all the preparations and when...my surgery is scheduled for Nov. 8th.
My physician's office took care of everything in order to get the surgery approved by my insurance. I confirmed with my dr that i did not have to do anything.

I recommend confirming with your physician's ofc to see if you need to do anything but I am pretty sure they would have told you if it was necessary.

I only thing I did do was go to my insurance website to find out my out of pocket costs. The website also had a treatment cost estimator. I also check to see if the hospital have submitted their claims to see the actual charges.

Best wishes and a speedy recovery!!!
Unread 09-29-2010, 01:48 PM

My doc's office called my insurance and got the approvale. It needs to come from your doc because INS will want to know why and all that. About 2 weeks after surgery was scheduled I got a letter from doc's office saying it was insurance approved and I needed to pay a deposit of little over $1000 at my preop appt.
Unread 09-29-2010, 06:22 PM

I met with my OB-GYN for the first time on September 16th. I got approval from my insurance for the procedure plus two days of inpatient hospital time THE SAME DAY. And I just got home from the hospital from my procedure, which took place on Monday.

It just depends on how good your insurance company/plan is, and how much your doctor is willing to push your insurance company on your behalf. My doctor went to bat for me, and I got the approval same day, and she scheduled me for the first available surgery slot she had.

So... you might get same-day approval. Or, it might take a fight with the insurance company. Your doctor might do the leg-work for you, or you might need to call the insurance company yourself. Call around, ask questions. And always look out for yourself!
Unread 09-29-2010, 09:17 PM

My doctors office took care of it for me, once we decided on the surgery and the date.
Unread 09-30-2010, 08:50 AM

Thanks everyone! I will call the Dr office and get some clarification. Better to be safe than sorry.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.