HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

weight gain after surgery weight gain after surgery

Unread 09-30-2010, 01:13 AM
weight gain after surgery

I am 6 weeks post op TVH rectocele/cystocele repair and bladder sling. They did leave my ovaries in. Now I know in hospital with IV's you get swelling from that and surgery but I am up 15 lbs in 6 weeks!!?? Whats up with that anyone having the same problems? I have to admit I am more hungrier and ofcourse I am not moving around much. But I sure am concerned about the weight. ANy responses would be great.
Unread 09-30-2010, 06:46 AM
Re: weight gain after surgery

I am concerned about the weight gain too. I feel your concern. I had LSH kept ovaries almost 2 wks ago and I already feel like a cow. My appetite is the same or less. I am not eating a lot. For me it is the lack of activity. I'm the kind of person that can't lose weight or even maintain weight without exercise despite whether or not I starve myself or diet.

Just keep thinking ahead and ahead and ahead, that is all I keep doing. I envision, when I am cleared, the kinds of exercises I am going to do CONSISTENTLY now that I won't be in pain every two weeks. If we do this, we can have an even better body than we did preop.

I'm going to try and be patient and no matter how much weight I gain over this I know that the time is going to come that they are going to clear me to exercise again. Also, pilates does wonders, fast results, for midsection, back fat ... I can't wait to get back to it! Good Luck.
Unread 09-30-2010, 06:54 AM

I'm not bragging here, just trying to be motivational....but honestly, I've lost some weight! My appetite has been down a bit since the operation and I actually have more energy, because even though I'm sore from the surgery, it's not as bad as the pain from the adenomyosis, so I feel renewed, like I have a new body. I walk the kids to the bus stop now, whereas before, I drove them. Just little things like that help I think. I was so crippled before I did gain weight, so I think it depends a lot on a person's individual body too. Mine may just be returning back to normal. But I know when you're in so much pain, you don't want to move off the couch, it's tough. That's what happened to me over the past year, and as a result I gained weight. So don't worry, when your body is ready to be up and about again, the weight will come off!
Unread 09-30-2010, 07:11 AM

Here, here, Cremebrulee, good for you!! Same thing happened to me, I've always been active and fit, but this adenomyosis thing this past year, as it progressed over the years just made me STOP being active and I spent many a week or two on the sofa. Standing on my feet too long, or walking, just made the pain so much worse, didn't it? Amazing, so I put about 20lbs on this past year when I heard that there is a reason for all my pain and I started to take it easy.

I am very excited to get where you are. I have been walking. Yesterday was the first day I actually really ventured out. I went shopping with a friend and was on my feet for a long time yesterday and there was NO PAIN, YAY. I was tired by 7 p.m., though, haha. I am so happy for you.
Unread 09-30-2010, 07:26 AM

Awesome, good for you too, rhncasi!!

It helps us know we made the right decision, huh!?

That's exactly the response I had too....not that it didn't hurt and I really did have to take it easy, but once I knew something was "wrong" with me, I did rest more. I would have bursts where I would say I was going to push through the pain and go to the gym or jogging in the neighborhood, but it was to no avail and I would end up in so much pain afterwards, I eventually just stopped even trying. By the end, I couldn't even go to the mall and walk around for an hour....and just a few years ago I was going to the gym for 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours at night 5 days a week!

So nice to know we are getting back to our old selves!! Kudos to you!!

Unread 09-30-2010, 07:42 AM

I am 5 weeks and 2 days post op and up to 4 months prior to surgery I had been going to the gym faithfully for the past year, losing weight so I too was concerned about weight gain that I have heard of post hysterectomy. Happily, though still with alot of work, I have been able to maintain my weight with watching my diet.....remembering that you can not "starve" your body, you wont lose weight that way. Anyways,,,what I have learned since surgery is this is an extremely emotional journey, couple that with how sedentary we must become in the few weeks post op and all the swelling,,,,I am beginning to believe that it is not the hysterectomy that causes the weight gain....but the emotional, mental, physical, and psychological stresses that continue to wreek havoc on our bodies. STRESS IS AN AWEFUL THING. I have however so looked forward to working out for more than 2 weeks per month and am anxious to see the results. The best advice I think we should all concentrate on is our recovery, then how to fix the rest of us,,,our bodies will not recover properly if we are stressing over that which we can not deal with yet. Good luck to all of you, and perhaps we will see each other again in the '"20 POUND CLUB" here on the hystersisters site.
Unread 09-30-2010, 07:52 AM
Re: Gaining weight after hysterectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoscanu View Post
I am 6 weeks post op TVH rectocele/cystocele repair and bladder sling. They did leave my ovaries in. Now I know in hospital with IV's you get swelling from that and surgery but I am up 15 lbs in 6 weeks!!?? Whats up with that anyone having the same problems? I have to admit I am more hungrier and ofcourse I am not moving around much. But I sure am concerned about the weight. ANy responses would be great..
I haven't had my hysterectomy yet & I am having the bladder & bowel repair (with the episiotomy) as well. I have heard of a lot of women gaining weight so I don't think it is abnormal; however I am sure if you are like me it is the last thing you want to have happen. Probably once you are feeling better and you can start to exercise a bit the weight will come off quickly. Is your episiotomy still sore six weeks later? I have had four children delivered vaginally and never tore or had an episiotomy so I am not looking forward to that at all. Also, having a BM after all of that repair must be excruciating. My Dr. acts as if it is no big deal, but I must admit I am still fretting. Good luck with your continued healing.
Unread 09-30-2010, 08:35 AM
Re: TVH+ repair to bladder and bowel and ?

As to the weight gain: I am about 10 weeks out. Had all the repairs scheduled and then he found another one while in there. I only kept one ovary. I did gain weight for the first few weeks. Because I have had such difficult bms for so long, I was on a specific diet before trying to ease that. When it was my dh turn to cook, clean, etc I gained weight. I think alot of it is that when we are healthy we either cook for ourselfs and/or make our own choices at the restaurant. Then when we cannot do as much for ourselves, others make those choices for us. Also, I think about when I was 13 - 25, every month during my period I gained weight because my emotions took hold of my eating, then lost it the next week or so then started all over.
Figure that just as our monthly messed with our bodies, this surgery does ten fold. I ended up gaining about 18lbs from day of surg to about 7 weeks. Then in the last 3 weeks, it I am losing quickly. Lost those 18 and 2 more. Not sure why. I am cooking for my family again and have regained the reins on laundry and cleaning (except dishes, he is still doing the sometimes, how wonderful). I did take everyone heres advice about walking, and have tried to increase how much I walk some each week. Allow your body to gain the few lbs without obsessing about them, you have enough to worry about. Then use it as your motivation to make one specific life change. For me it was the walking. I always figured I walked so much for work, I didnt need the extra. I feel better all the way around. Repairs are okay, still some discomfort, but better than before. My dh and I have had "fun" a few times, since 6 weeks. Some positions still hurt, but others feel better than before. Good luck and take care of yourself
Unread 10-04-2010, 05:25 PM

Thanks everyone for your comments on weight gain. SOme of it is from surgery.I know the rest is from being sedentary and not moving around. I guess I have to say being emotional because of the long recovery and pain. I had forgot to mention one month prior to hysterectomy I had a D&C, endometrial ablation I was in hospital for 3 days while they were controlling the bleeding and blood pressure. And 2 months before that I delivered twins via c-section with tubal ligation. So I sure have been throuh the works in the past 4-5 months. Let alone a long painful high risk pregnancy. Though after i delivered the babies I lost 30 lbs. And now sadly its all back on. So I am depressed about that, makes me want to go eat a brownie..LOL. Well hoping I can get motivated here shortly and get back to a diet. Thanks again...Maria
Unread 10-04-2010, 05:37 PM

Yes,12 pounds I have gained! Last week I was depressed about it. Today I went and got my haircut and colored and that made me feel better. I bought a Wii-fit last spring but have not used it yet. I too had adenomyosis and exercising has been not possible the last couple years. Too much pain and when my period started I just didn't feel like it. The last few days I have been trying to watch what I eat. I kept my ovaries so I wasn't expecting the weight gain. I will loose this weight though. My bra is even tight.
Your not alone. Sending you best wishes.
Hugs,
Jeanie

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.