HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

rash after surgery? rash after surgery?

Unread 10-01-2010, 04:42 PM
rash after surgery?

Okay quick question? Please
I am 2 weeks from TAH and I spent 3 days in hospital. On day 2 I woke up with a small rash, that I thought was heat rash on my elbow. I did not point it out to doctor didn't think anything about it but now it is not going away or getting better I have tried everything antibotic ointments, steriods, cortizones, tea tree oil, vinager, etc everything. I even call the doctor but she is out of her office and since a rash is not an emergency they won't call her I see her on tues for follow up. the rash is spreading on my arm, it itches like mad now and it is clearing not heat rash or anything familar to me. Will try anything at this point to keep it from spreading before I see her tuesday. I also am undone with the dry chapped lips that appeared and the eyelids that are red dry and itchy think it is from the tape and its an allergic reaction. HELP please tell me anything to keep me sane the next few days!

Other than the skin stuff I am feeling great! Tired slow moving but better than I did before having the 3 month uterus removed!
Unread 10-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Re: rash after surgery?

Have you tried calling your primary care physician? If you can't get in touch with that doctor either, I would suggest going to an Urgent Care facility. They could then determine what the rash is and how to treat it.

I broke out in hives from head to toe while in the hospital and it was quite miserable. We believe my reaction was to the hospital soap. I also had an extra rash from the tape for my IV and they finally had to switch to paper tape. But my eyes were not involved.

Your rash could be because of such a wide range of issues that I suggest getting it checked out, especially since you also have an issue around your eyes. Are you able to take Benadryl? That could help with the itching. You might also try cold compresses, Calamine lotion, Benadryl spray, or other anti-itch creams.

in there!
Unread 10-01-2010, 07:19 PM

i have a rash too, mine started at my belly button and went to my sides and under my breast , now on my back . i called my doctor well the nurse said to me , just take Benadryl and call back Mon. if it doesn't go away. she didnt even get doctor to call me , she took it apon herself to tell me what she thought..mine started 8 days post opt. i tought it was my cuts getting better but it came out to be a itchy rash all over me. i hope yours and anyone else that is having the same problem to get better soon , this itching is driving me crazy !!! let us know what the doctor says and if i find out anything i will let you all know what my doctor says too.
Unread 10-01-2010, 09:21 PM

First off I too was allergic to tape they used day before surgery for blood sample so by day of surgery they knew and used something else. Second, I had a rash around the incision of my TAH. It too looked like a heat rash. I didn't see it until one week mark after steri strips were removed. I would lay on my back a few times a day with area totally uncovered. It's gone now. Never told doc.
Unread 10-02-2010, 12:35 PM

Thanks for response I will be with family in a few and it's house full of nurses and a doc let you know

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.