HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Birth Control Pills after surgery Birth Control Pills after surgery

Unread 10-02-2010, 11:34 AM
Birth Control Pills after surgery

So, I posted about this in my recovery week group, but am posting site-wide to see if anyone else is doing this.

Because I had endometriosis (and adenomyosis, but that's irrelevant here) my surgeon said normal procedure is for me to be on the pill for 6-12 months post-op to keep the endometrial tissue from regrowing. I did keep my cervix, so don't know if that has anything to do with it, or just the fact that there was endometrial tissue growing all over inside me when he went in.

I kept my ovaries too.

Thing is, I have had nothing but issues with the pill in the past. Erratic mood swings, weight gain, nausea, headaches. Prior to my Essure procedure 3 years ago, I switched to the NuvaRing to prevent the side effects. It was successful, except that I gained 15 pounds in an instant and couldn't get it off. When I stopped the NuvaRing, the weight just dropped off.

I've been on the pill for over a month now. No break inbetween (the normal week off.) He has me taking the hormones every day. I've gained 5 pounds already and have had two hysterical crying fits that came out of nowhere.

Does anyone have any advice? I understand the need to do this, but I don't know how I'm going to get through the next 6-12 months without going nuts or buying an entire new wardrobe.
Unread 10-02-2010, 04:06 PM
Re: Birth Control Pills after surgery

WOW!

I adenomyosis, my doctor didn't mention if there was any endometriosis.

I am on HRT but am not on BC - I threw mine out.

I hope someone can chime in with needing to take BC post op for the endometriosis.

Are you going to discuss with your doctor?

Let us know what you do!

Elaine
Unread 10-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Re: Birth Control Pills after surgery

By endometrial tissue do you mean endometriosis? If so and your pills are combination birth control pills, my guess would be that your doctor feels that suppressing ovulation will inhibit the growth of any endometriosis he missed and/or prevent new endometriosis from forming.

A hysterectomy is not a cure for endometriosis so any implants that were not removed can continue to be a problem down the road so it sounds like your doctor is trying to prevent that as much as possible. I haven't heard of this exact regime before but can kind of see your doctor's reasoning. Birth control pills are one of the treatment options for endometriosis both before and after a hysterectomy. Will tehy are often called "birth control" pills, they can be used for many different purposes! Hopefully this works out for you!

Don't hesitate to discuss all of your questions and concerns with your doctor as well as share how your body is responding to the treatment.

S

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.