HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville General Discussions > Eating Right for Wellness

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

How to lose weight after a Hysterectomy! How to lose weight after a Hysterectomy!

Unread 10-10-2010, 06:23 AM
How to lose weight after a Hysterectomy!

I have struggled trying to lose weight after my hysterectomy since 1990. I think I have finally figured it out. Anyone who is interested in talking about it and learning what to do , let me know.

We can not take in the same calories as the average person. None of the diets apply to us. We are separate than all other dieters. I have a plan and it is working for me it will help you too.

I don't want to type the whole thing is none is interested , so let me know.

Liz
Unread 10-10-2010, 08:51 AM
Re: How to lose weight after a Hysterectomy!

Would love to know liz please! I have struggling with my weight after my hyster for 14 years. Still not happy so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks liz
Unread 10-10-2010, 11:20 AM

Our bodies have stopped metabolizing food at any type of productive rate. Our homeostasis clock is set at the wrong weight and needs to be reset. Mine personally is set at 180 pounds, as you have read I have dieted and exercised myself to death. I just recently completed a yearlong workout plan that offered zero results. I can bench press my husband, but I’m still a size 12 ! What I did know, was I only lost weight over that past years after my Hysterectomy when I was either in love or divorcing a husband! Common denominator here, I stopped eating so much. I don’t think we realize the calories we consume out of boredom. When you’re in love, food is the last thing on your mind. So we need to duplicate that feeling in our minds.

My doctor, one that I paid a lot of money to for nothing said to me “you know if we stopped feeding you, you would lose weight, your body would be forced to”. That was a light bulb moment. Since I know, three meals day, low calorie foods, excessive exercise don’t work, I needed to add a component. Like a surgery free gastric bypass.

To reset my metabolic clock I would need to reduce my calories and shrink my stomach. I also knew that I needed to make this a lifelong affair. I also knew that my body would hang on to the fat forever and I would have to outlast it! So how would I do this with the least amount of discomfort and denial? I needed to find out the time of day I’m least hungry. This was in the morning for me. So what I need to do was stave off my first meal of the day.

I enjoy my coffee with toffee nut for breakfast and that is my morning calories, period. At 11:30 or 12:00pm I have a light healthy lunch, tuna (light mayo) and whole wheat crackers, about a half cup and a diet coke. Dinner is a healthy meal of any kind or if I have been very good at lunch a dinner of my choice that I only eat half of. I fill in during the day with a diet coke, water and a Starbucks with toffee nut late in the day to stave off hunger pains. There is absolutely no food after dinner. I only have ice cream on Friday and Saturday nights.

I’m hungry but not dying, my stomach has shrunk so I eat less. I can go out to eat and still not cheat because I have been good all day. We can probably only take in about 900 calories a day to lose weight so we have to take drastic measures. I’m losing for the first time and it is a life choice too. I workout five days a week for 30 minutes, using interval training tapes, like the Firm. Make it something you can live with and keep up with.

Remember your body will hold on to this weight forever so you have to wait it out. Stay off the scale it is the enemy!!!! Find the time of day you are least hungry and go without have a coffee or a diet coke. Go by how your clothes feel. Let me know your progress.

Liz
Unread 10-10-2010, 01:28 PM

900 calories a day is not a healthy way to eat. That is not enough to keep our bodies healthy and going. It may work for you, but is not something that I would recommend. Please check with your doctor before undergoing such a drastic weight loss program.
Unread 10-10-2010, 03:58 PM

I would find it interesting to find out how many women after having a hysterectomy find it difficult to maintain weight, or if they gain weight. I have read a lot on other sites that seem to suggest that people have gained significant amounts, while my doctor says it is more of a concern if ovaries are taken out...that menopause is a culprit--women need less calories.
I am having a hysterectomy in a couple months. I watch what I eat and work out a LOT! Don't want to gain any lbs...
Unread 10-10-2010, 04:12 PM

He is right ! Removal of the ovaries is a huge problem. I began my search many years ago and had found millions of women just like me. Maybe you will be a lucky one and not gain. I hope so.. :}
Unread 10-10-2010, 04:24 PM

I have to eat so little to loose weight that it is crazy. I am interested to see what others have to do.
Unread 10-10-2010, 04:34 PM

I know it is, but I have tried the 3 meals a day and a 30 minute walk..I'll gain!!! It sucks.. :}
Unread 10-10-2010, 05:25 PM

The only other thing I would mention is that it would be best if you could change your diet coke to tea. You would still get caffein if that is what you want. When you drink a diet soda your body thinks it is going to get something sweet & then it gets empty calories & you become more hungry. It really can make it worse. Tea however gives more & is much better for you. You may want to try that also.
Unread 10-10-2010, 05:34 PM

Thank you Sea Butterfly. I drank tea forever, without sweetener. Actually, I'm quite an expert on tea. I just don't care for it anymore. I quit drinking 8 years ago and tea became my drug of choice for years..lol. I have one diet coke a day and then water...I know boring....lol.

Liz

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.