HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Was it worth it? Was it worth it?

Unread 10-15-2010, 09:11 PM
Was it worth it?

Ok I am 7 weeks post op TAH today. And I am not sure it was all worth it. I didn't have any major complications and have already been released from the doc. Have started back into aerobics and cleaning house. Just about everything. Already had sex a couple times, which has gotten better each time - at least for my hubby - but we are still not normal. The only great thing from my surgery is sex no longer hurts. Everything else - don't really know if it was worth the physcial pain, the emotional roller coaster, or the burden on my family and friends. I havn't beable to reach the Big O, came close once but then my stomach muscles gave out and I couldn't continue.
I guess I should be happy that it has been 7 weeks and I have not had my period 3 times like I was this summer. But even with that - was I just being a wimp? Did I really have to do this? Ugh.....just having doubts lately. I think if I could reach the Big O it would probably help my mood.
Unread 10-15-2010, 09:30 PM
Re: Was it worth it?

You're only 7 weeks out- things will get better!

I know for me- it wasn't an option. I had to do it (uterine cancer). But I also had huge fibroids that were destroying my life slowly- and I didn't know it. I can pee now! I won't be in bed for 3 days a month because my cramps are so bad and my bleeding is so heavy I can't physically get up.

Just look back at why you did the surgery. In a couple years- when things have totally returned to normal, you can ask if you made the right choice.
Unread 10-15-2010, 09:43 PM

I am now almost 4 months post op, and I am still having some pain issues with my belly and my incision, my belly is still swollen, and my energy is not back yet, and I am having some bouts with minor depression..BUT...was it worth it???

YES, YES, YES!!!!!

I am no longer curled up in my recliner during my cycle drugged up and praying to make it through the cramps and burning and pain....I am not longer flooding pads...my migraines have decreased significantly and I can have sex with my husband without pain.

I truely believe that by the time I am one year out I will be back to better than normal. I am coming to grips with the fact that I am just a little slow on the healing side of things.

But was it worth it? Yes, a thousand times yes!
Unread 10-15-2010, 11:33 PM

Stress can make it harder to reach the Big "O". You need to relax and not worry so much about trying to achieve it. It will take time for your body to get back to normal. Relax..u have plenty of time to reach the Big "O" and once u have the first one it will be easier after that.
Unread 10-16-2010, 10:03 AM

Was it worth it....Yes for me. My back, hip, and leg pain is gone. Also, in my case apparently the fibroids affected my liver function so my diabetes is under better control. The blasted things were compromising my vascular system and my blood pressure has improved as well. They probably were causing a whole lotta other problems or would have as they continued to grow.
Unread 10-16-2010, 10:54 AM

Thank you ladies. I had Andro very bad. When i went back in for checkup he said how supprised he was that it had not turned into endo and made me sick. So yes in that way I know it was worth it. Bought some Tingling Ky yesterday. Maybe that will help - just frustrated. In 11 years of marriage I have never had to try so hard to get there.
Unread 10-16-2010, 11:20 AM

Sweetie, You just said a lot:
"In 11 years of marriage I have never had to try so hard to get there."
So much of this is mental too! I had a hard time with an orgasm as well. Not having one but "getting" there. The rollercoaster ride we are on from this surgery is physical, emotional and mental. Don't be surprised or dissapointed if it does not feel the same the first few times either. That kindof freaked me out but I can say now that all is the same if not better. My hyst was a year ago and for the last year I have had problems and just had surgery again 3 weeks ago related to the hyst. I found myself in this recovery crying to my DH that I wish I had never had the hyst. Now 3 weeks later I am feeling better. I remember back to the period days of PAIN and exhaustion 2 weeks out of the month and how every aspect of my life revolved around my period i.e going out, vacations, daily life. Last week my sister went in for a pre appt for an ablation and she was describing her pain and gushing flow of blood and then it all came back to me and now I am grateful that I had the hyst. It is kindof like childbirth, how easy we forget the pain. Don't try so hard, it will come easier and be kind to yourself. There is no second guessing yourself. You are really early in recovery and things will seem more normal soon! Best wishes.
Unread 10-16-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by october1 View Post
It is kindof like childbirth, how easy we forget the pain. Don't try so hard, it will come easier and be kind to yourself. There is no second guessing yourself. You are really early in recovery and things will seem more normal soon! Best wishes.
We must forget the pain of childbirth or there would be no 2nd borns. LOL I am sorry you had to go through it again. Glad you are doing better now.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.