HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

4 months + feels like my insides are falling out when I stand 4 months + feels like my insides are falling out when I stand

Unread 10-16-2010, 09:41 PM
4 months + feels like my insides are falling out when I stand

I still have pain that has never completely gone away, after more than four months. If I stand for too long, I feel like m insides are going to fall out, and then it is harder to walk, too. I have to lay down and rest to make it feel better.
I have a burning feeling in my vagina, and pain that shoots up toward my navel. My abdomen feels 'swollen' behind my belly button and radiating down toward my vagina and genitals. Laying down helps a lot, but I can't lay down all day!
It is worse if I try to carry something, or pull something like the hose or weeds. Pushing the grocery cart still causes pressure and pain.
I am going to a new doctor this week at the urging of friends who think I should not be feeling this way this far out. Everyone I know says they were fine after just a few weeks, and are out jogging, etc, and I can't even have a normal day like I used to have doing house stuff!
What is going on here? Do I need progesterone or more estrogen? Could there be a nerve caught in the vaginal cuff? Do I have a hernia of some kind? I am so regretting that I did this surgery (for cysts, fibroids, adenomyosis). Please give me some advice, and some indications of what these symptoms were to you!
Unread 10-16-2010, 10:08 PM
Re: 4 months + feels like my insides are falling out when I stand

I think it's wise that you are seeing a new doctor. I would ask for a ct scan to see for certain what is going on. Don't let the new doc try out different pain meds or antibiotics to try and guess at what is going on. Get to the bottom of it, asap. You've suffered long enough.

Wishing you the very best!
Unread 10-16-2010, 11:50 PM

Thank you, mythreecats - I am tired of this. It is difficult to tell if I am just a slow healer, or if I have more of a problem. I am anxious to find out!
Unread 10-17-2010, 05:27 AM

Hi Color! I have the same feeling and just went to the ER last night to get checked out. I also feel like something is falling out. Sometime I can also describe it feeling like a tampon is stuck inside sideways. I have pain in my vagina upon standing or walking. I only get relief when I lay down. If I don't lay down and continue trying to act normally the pain gets worse and will feel it when pushing and pulling things too. Even pulling open the bathroom door in the ER hurt me down there. I also noticed last night that I had a burning feeling when I urinated.
The Er Dr wants me to see a urologist. Are you going to see a different Gyno? I was thinking about doing that too.
Please keep me posted what is going on with you sice we have so many of the same symptoms.
Try to have a good day.I know it is frustrating. I am almost 3 months post-op and have spent the last 2 days crying because I am back to laying on the couch.
Unread 10-17-2010, 07:21 AM

I'm sorry you are feeling this way. It can be so frustrating when you just want to move-forward and get on with life, and have these road blocks. I'm glad you are seeing a new doctor. I hope you get some answers! Please keep us posted!
Unread 10-17-2010, 09:03 AM

Thanks for the support, sisters!

Bluewater, I definitely feel the same way you do. I can even feel it when I pick up the coffeepot. I have wondered if there is a hernia in there, and I asked the dr about prolapse, and he said that I was definitely not prolapsed. He said I didn't even look like a woman who had had a baby - everything was tight up there, and he actually had trouble doing the surgery vaginally. I have wondered if that is the reason I have had trouble with the healing - perhaps something was injured? (I am thin and small boned) I did have granulation tissue on the vaginal cuff that got treated three times, but that has all healed now, and I am still having this pain. I don't have the tampon sidewise feeling, but I did read about it somewhere. These symptoms seem to be similar to descriptions I have seen of Pudendal Neuralgia or an Enterocele.
My skin was very dry, and my vagina sometimes felt like I have a hot poker in there, and the external labia felt like I am rubbing sandpaper on there, so the dr switched my estrogen to EvaMist, and I started using VagiFem 10mg every night. Those two things helped those symptoms a lot. I started with two squirts of EvaMist twice a day for two weeks. I just finished the third week, and I am down to one squirt twice a day. I have also tried using the VagiFem for two days and then skipping one, but I think I felt better using it every day. Normal dosage is twice a week for VagiFem, but dr said I can use it every day - everyone is different. My vagina has the painful burning sensation all the time, even when I wake up in the morning. I am also wondering if I need some progesterone. The dr said the hormone thing is something you just have to keep trying. He has thought I have had a lot of pain, but he examined me pretty thoroughly, and he thinks it is just normal healing. But there is nothing normal about not being able to lift anything at four months post op! This dr wants me to have a colonoscopy, and I am making an appt for that.
I am going to see another ob/gyn that a friend of mind recommended and even talked to about me - the dr commented that I was having 'atypical' symptoms. This is definitely not from still healing. At this point, I think I need another opinion.
Going to a urologist does make sense. I have a burning sensation sometimes, but don't have a UTI - we have checked that. And sometimes I have a strong sense of urgency, but then don't have to go much. This is a symptom of low estrogen also, I believe. Ever since the surgery, I have had lots of pain at the vaginal cuff when my bladder is full, particularly first thing in the morning. This pain has lessened over time.
I am most comfortable when I recline and lay down the better part of the day, and the less active I am, the less pain. I used to be a very active person and this has been a lifestyle change. I am kinda getting used to the pain, but I feel best when I take one of my very few remaining pain pills.
I know this is a lot of information - thank you for reading it! Maybe all this info will help others, too!
Unread 10-17-2010, 10:44 AM

My Gyno who did my hysterectomoy checked me out this past Thursday and also said he doesn't see any vaginal prolapse. I didn't think to ask him about bladder, but if it was there I don't even know if he would know from an internal.

I still have my ovaries, so I don't know anything about the creams.
My surgery could not be done vaginally beacuse he said my uterus was too far up?? So I had mine done abdominally. Those seem to be the only differences between us.
Every one of your symptoms are the same as mine. I once even described it to my Mom as though my vagina labia felt raw and 4 times the size of what it should be. As I am typing this I am sitting up and feel as though I am sitting on an egg inside my vagina. Sometimes I feel like if I pushed hard enough it would come out!!
I am going to call my Gyno office tomorrow and ask if I can maybe see one of the other Drs in the practice for a 2nd opinion. And then I am also going to get a urologist appt set up hopefully for this week coming up. I don't really notice that the pain is any worse when my bladder is full. It is the best of all 1st thing in the AM after I have been laying down all night. I keep waking up hoping that this will be the day that it is gone. But by the time my shower is over, I am feeling it already.

Please keep me posted on your situation and I will do the same. If there is anything to be happy about at all is that I have found someone who is feeling the same thing this far after surgery.
Glad that today is football Sunday and I can lay on the couch all day!
Unread 10-17-2010, 11:33 AM

Bluewater, I was thinking that you might also benefit from additional estrogen, but if you still have your ovaries.....Yes, we have to keep each other posted. It is this downward pressure with the feeling that something is in there. Laying flat is the best position, I agree. But I can't even sip on my coffee in that position! And my back even gets sore. I felt like this after my twin boys were born (vaginal birth with forceps), but it went away real soon. The dr had said he had trouble reaching the uterus/cervix through the vagina because it was high up, so maybe this has something to do with it since we both have that. Yes, let's keep each other updated. My new gyn appt is Wednesday.
Football Sunday, but Game Day Saturday is my favorite day of the week! Tonight, college rankings.....that will be fun!
Unread 10-17-2010, 08:44 PM

color, i had all of the same symptoms you described in your original postings except for the vaginal burning. i went back to the doc several times only to be told everything looked normal. so i kept waiting it out. may sound funny but i luckily developed an incisional hernia at belly button (i had a lavh) and then when the general surgeon repaired the hernia the gyno sd he would go in laporascopically (sp?) and would take a look around. The docs found adhesions at 3 diff areas and the adhesions went to my bowels and colon. that surgery was 3 1/2 weeks ago so i can't tell you if all is better yet. only problem with adhesions is they do not show up on any type of x-ray or mri. keep being persistant! please keep us updated on what your doc has to say on wed.
Unread 10-17-2010, 09:00 PM

October1, I am having pain right behind my belly button and it is a burning pain at times and real sensitive to touch. i am 6 wks out. my doctor has mentioned the adhesions but please tell me how you knew you had an umbilical hernia? doctor said if i was still hurting in 6 months they would consider doing a lap and cutting the adhesions.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.