HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

How long until I can go upstairs How long until I can go upstairs

Unread 10-17-2010, 02:30 PM
How long until I can go upstairs

Cleaning my second floor bedroom today. I am a little sad! I am thinking of my recovery where my time will be spent on th main floor. How long will it be after surgery until I can go2 flights of stairs to my own bedroom? When will I be able to sweep hardwood floors? I dread the dust and pet hair that will accumulate when I am recovering. Any advice?
Unread 10-17-2010, 02:48 PM
Re: How long until I can go upstairs

I think it depends on your doctor and your type of surgery. I'm having a laparascopic hysterectomy and my post-op instructions say that I can climb stairs right away. But it's not an issue for me since we have a one story house.

That would be a good question for your pre-op visit.

Unread 10-17-2010, 03:19 PM

I had no stair restrictions and was sleeping comfy in my bed the day after surgery. However, I would definitely check with your doctor because they all seem to have their own "do's" and "dont's".

Best of luck on your surgery and hope you have a very uneventful recovery!
Unread 10-18-2010, 10:48 AM

Stair were quite difficult for me for the first few weeks. I took over my son's bed on the first floor for three weeks. Once I got settled in his room with the TV, laptop, night stand stocked with everything I needed, I was happy in there. I was closer to everyone else so it was easier to yell for someone when I needed something. My biggest concern was needing to use the bathroom which is on the first floor. I didn't want to be up and down a lot. If you can go up and stay up, then it might be fine. Again, like someone else said your doctor will have recommendations about stairs.

Get someone else to sweep for a few weeks. You will need to rest as much as possible for several weeks. Don't be afraid to ask for help.
Unread 10-18-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyedqt View Post
I had no stair restrictions and was sleeping comfy in my bed the day after surgery. However, I would definitely check with your doctor because they all seem to have their own "do's" and "dont's".

Best of luck on your surgery and hope you have a very uneventful recovery!
Same here I slept in my bed the first night, but my Doc didn't want me up and down the stairs for several days by my self, my DH asked me not to use the stairs if he was not home and he would follow me up and walk in front of me down them the first few days, just to make sure I had my balance. I cheated, used them when he was not home, I just took them slow and held the hand rail. Just take it easy
Unread 10-18-2010, 01:43 PM

It seems like 5 to 7 days of not doing the stairs is about normal for what most doctors say. The sweeping you will want to get someone to do for you because you probably will not be able to do them for 6 weeks. You do not want to twist in any way until you are checked & released from your doctor. Best wishes to you.
Unread 10-18-2010, 02:16 PM

Well stairs for me are going to be a problem. We live in a tri-level home and the bedrooms and bathroom are upstairs. Just living area, kitchen and dining area are on the main floor. My plan is when I get home from the hospital is to go upstairs once and stay there for a week. My DH will be with me that first time. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
Unread 10-18-2010, 02:22 PM

It sounds like you should set up & area upstairs then. I have read where people fixed coolers & had someone take them up for them & used that for the day. I hope you can find what will work.
Unread 10-18-2010, 02:22 PM

my house is set up like mygirl19, and i am having a tah - my dr said stairs won't be a problem- i'm thinking -sure not a problem for him!
Unread 10-18-2010, 03:10 PM

I live in a mobile home.....once I get home, I don't anticipate going anywhere for a while!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.