Painful intercourse | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Sexual Dysfunction After Hysterectomy

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Painful intercourse Painful intercourse

Unread 10-17-2010, 08:36 AM
Painful intercourse

Since my total hysterectomy, I find sex disgusting and couldnt care less if I ever "do it" again. From time to time I get a twinge of desire, but then think about the pain and its not worth it. Iam not using slimey vaginal suppositories like my Dr suggests...I asked him:"How would YOU like it if your wife used this?" and he chuckled.....ya..go figure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-18-2010, 06:10 AM
Re: Painful intercourse

Hi!

I'm sorry that you're having pain with intercourse. Personal lubricants really can help make things more comfortable. There are a lot of different products available and of the ones I've tried and liked, Astroglide tops the list. My doctor recommended it to me. It feels very natural.

While the personal lubricants can be helpful, vaginal dryness/atrophy can be bad enough that lubricants alone may not be enough. My doctor ended up prescribing vaginal estrogen for me even though I was already using a systemic estrogen. The vaginal estrogen delivered estrogen right to those tissues and really made a difference! Intercourse was no longer painful and I rarely need to use a lubricant anymore. I also have been prescribed compounded testosterone cream which made all the difference when it came to bringing back my missing libido/sex drive.

If your doctor is dismissive of your concerns, consider finding a doctor with more knowledge about the well-being of women in surgical menopause.

Unread 10-18-2010, 07:49 PM

I have used 4 or 5 different kinds, it just isnt worth it..I struggle..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-18-2010, 07:51 PM

I am more having trouble with my moods...most days I am ok, some days I feel like jumping out of my skin...some days I bawl and feel very old and useless! Work is tough to get thru some days...
I have prescription creams, etc from the Dr..I came home and threw them in the drawer...yuck
Unread 10-23-2010, 07:17 PM

mspack98~i am in the same boat you are in. What use to be wonderful fun sex is now something i would rather do without. I too cringe when my husband "wants sex". It hurts terribly!

I just feel "nothing" now. What use to be the fun loving happy me, is dead and gone.
Unread 11-08-2010, 03:20 PM

I don't know what else my doctor could have done because I could not stand up straight and the pain was unbearable, but darn, I had a great sex life and now it's nonexistent. My husband of 38 years never complains and says he too tired anyway but I still miss the intimacy. If someone had told me it would be this way, I would have had more intimacy with him in the past. It just really makes me mad that women are not more educated on the aftermath of hysterectomy.
Unread 11-09-2010, 05:53 PM

Ms Pack.... Yes, the vaginal estrogen is a pain and messy but you probably need it cause I did. I had atrophy and dryness issues but couldn't stand that stuff. I'm now using an estrogen ring which is wonderful. You put it in and leave it there for 10-12 weeks and then throw it away and put in a new one.

Everything down there is very healthy now but I usually still use astroglide just to be sure because I have torn before and that is very painful. Check into it. You can't feel it once it's in and your partner may feel it but they get used to it and believe me, he won't mind....lol.
Unread 11-14-2010, 11:15 PM

There are vaginal estrogen tablets that are not messy at all, as well. There's really no reason, if you haven't tried this, to give up on intimacy, unless you want to. This has helped many and might be an answer for others who haven't found it yet. :-)
Unread 12-17-2010, 07:31 PM
Unhappy - Painful intercourse Re: Painful intercourse

I wish I would have found this site before! I had my da Vinci on May 4th 2010. I healed quick, was running in 5 weeks and thought everything was great. Then never having back troubles in my life, my lower back started going out all the time. Went the Chiro and he couldn't figure it out so I researched online and found out the number of women who suffer lower back pain after a hyster is insane. So I figured out that stretching more consistently every morning helps my back. Problem solved yay. But wait, I just turned 40, i'm married to the man of steal and am madly in love with him. I begged my doctor to leave the halfway good ovary which she did, but took everything else out. The ovary kicked in and started doing her job, but now 7 months later, I started getting constant yeast infections after intercourse and I couldn't figure it out. I went to the doctor this last time because I thought I had a cut from a pubic hair, the doctor was too busy so I saw a nurse who accused me of having herpes. It was humiliating. I have had two sexual partners in 25 years. My current husband of 12 years and my ex husband. So after I got upset with the nurse and said its a bacteria infection, she gave me an antibiotic and it was gone within two days. So a week later, my husband and I felt it was safe to be intimate again and once again I tore. I swelled up painfully within hours. After researching online I find out it is all of the symptoms of menopause or hysterectomy. The doctor put me on the estrogen tables that you insert but they are making me so sick and I am terrified of the risk of breast cancer. If I would have known that this was an aftermath of removing all of my parts I would have said give me the pill and I will suffer through everything else. I am so afraid to have sex. We use KY and plenty of it, but that doesn't even help. I can't understand or believe why I swell up so much either. I have to look at my husband knowing I am broken and it isn't all him either because I desire him as much. This really stinks and I dont' know what to do.
Thanks for listening and letting me post here.
Julie
Unread 02-04-2011, 06:44 PM

It has been 7 months since my complete hyst. And i to have to get my self really relaxed so intercousre is not painful. If hubby penetrates to far then for sure i will have pain. Before surg. I was not dry at all very moist and did enjoy having sex. Sometimes even then still had to be in the mood but now in the mood is hardly ever and i love my husband dearly and he does understand but reading these posts i wonder will i ever feel normal agian. Like someone on here said the dr.s should tell women and their husbands what this will do to there sexual relations. I had no idea at all i guess it would be like it always was and it is differnt. Mostly i worry when do if he penetrates to deep it hurts. I can relax enought to become moist but it some deep breathing to get that way. Sounds weird i know but i try and do deep breathing relax and it does help. I am on no hormoes and seem okay that way. Feel okay in all ways except for the sexual part. I can not say i would not do it the surgery has made things for me so much better. I feel good and it is great not have pain or worry i am gonna bleed all over the place. So glad i did have it done...... Thanks for listening and it helps to know other women have the same problems. I am not alone.....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register