HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Complications after ablation and tubal ligation Complications after ablation and tubal ligation

Unread 10-26-2010, 10:39 PM
Complications after ablation and tubal ligation

I had both procedures done in Feb of this year. I experienced several weeks of bleeding and extreme swelling of the abdonminal area from February until current. I also experience the shooting pains that almost paralize me and tne spotting and discharge 3/4 of the month. I have been told that I have a cyst on my right ovary and that it continues to rupture, causing constant cervical infections. Having an ultrasound on Nov 3rd to see whats going on. In the morning I wake up and am not swollen at all. By 6 pm every night I look as though I am 6 months pregnant. Looking at possible hysterectomy depending on the findings of the ultrasound in a few weeks. Has anyone else experienced the swelling in the abdomen along with the pain in the back and legs?
Unread 10-26-2010, 10:48 PM
Re: Complications after ablation and tubal ligation

I am glad you have found our site and I hope we can offer you some helpful information and support!

I did not have an ablation for tubal ligation so I can't share personal experience there.

But, I do have frequent swelling! In the mornings, I can have an almost flat stomach. By evening, I look pregnant enough my boys notice it! And I am 10 years post hysterectomy!

Thus, I recommend making sure the swelling is a gynecological issue before you have surgery for it since obviously mine does not require a uterus! There are gynecological issues that cause swelling, but there are also other health issues that can as well such as IBS.

Pain going down the back of the legs can be related to several different gynecological issues. Ladies with adenomyosis, fibroids, and endometriosis definitely seem to experience this. Any condition that could be putting pressure on a nerve could also be creating the pain.

If you are not keeping a symptom diary, I would encourage you to do so. This can help you and your doctor have a better idea of what is going on and how your symptoms could be affecting your every day life.

I also strongly recommend a second gynecological opinion before scheduling a hysterectomy.

Unread 10-27-2010, 01:43 AM

There are lots of ablation tales here... What Weiser said: Do get 2nd opinion. Good luck to you!
Unread 10-27-2010, 04:43 PM

I too had an ablation. It worked for about a year. Then I started having very painful periods, and leg pains for about two days prior to my period starting. Very painful. I had a MRI that only showed an enlarged uterus, but the doc suspected adenomyosis which does not always show on MRI. Adenomyosis was confirmed in the surgery path report, and it was stated that the lesions were consistent with those from an ablation. It appears that ablations help some. Others appear to be helped for a small period of time then other options need to be tried. I am happy with the surgery results.
Unread 10-28-2010, 08:21 AM

I had an ablation and tubal ligation on March 1st. My recovery was 8 weeks of terrible pain and heavy drainage. It did little to help the severe bleeding and cramping I was experiencing before the surgery. In fact, my dr. prescribed narcotic pain relievers to help with the cramps during my 1st period after surgery. I have also been dealing with reoccuring ovarian cysts since January that were very painful! The good news for me is that I am 3 weeks post-hysterectomy (both ovaries, too!) and feel very good - just a little soreness and bruising on my abdomen and some fatigue. I empathize with you because it was a long journey for me. I hope you find the solution that helps you!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.