HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Natural Meno Post Hysterectomy - Kept Ovaries

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Only one ovary after hysterectomy. Only one ovary after hysterectomy.

Unread 10-31-2010, 11:17 AM
Only one ovary after hysterectomy.

Hi, I had a hysterectomy 11 days ago. I had to lose the uterus, cervix, and my left ovary. I knew I was perimenopausal before this all started. but now, I am wondering where my hormones will really land. Doc said that eventually my right ovary will increase production of estrogen and compensate for the loss of the left one. But curious of anyone else has had this done and how their experience was?? How long does it take for the hormones to level out?

Last week was my cycle, and I went through a day or two of craving chocolate and crying for no reason. All at the same time! LOL! I have a strong sense of humor, so taht is helping me. I tend to laugh at myself for being so off kelter. But at the same time, I know I am healing and so many feelings and emotions are hitting me over the loss of my body parts. the added stress of going back and forth is starting to push me!

Thanks for listening.

Lucy goosy
Unread 10-31-2010, 11:24 AM
Re: Only one ovary after hysterectomy.

I am in the same boat. Lost everything but the right ovary. I was also in perimenopause before the surgery. I am anxious to see where I stand too. I am not quite 3 weeks out so too soon to tell!
Unread 10-31-2010, 11:34 AM

i had everything removed except for my right ovary. and was definitely pre-menopausal at surgery time. i am currently 9 months out from surgery, and i would say the first 6 months was a little back and forth. days were i felt fine. days were i had anger flare ups and weepiness. but now, i feel totally like myself again. my moods have evened out and i feel good over all.
i wish both of you the same success that i had after surgery.
Unread 10-31-2010, 12:00 PM

My ovaries went to sleep from the shock of the surgery. They woke up in the 2nd month & then were fine. I have heard that you can do well with just one ovary. Your sense of humor will get you through it. I hope you are feeling better soon.
Unread 11-04-2010, 06:27 PM

Only one ovary left for me as well after my surgery. It kept me going for years after my hyst. Started to go into menopause almost two years ago, still have the hot flashes and the normal symptoms, but overall one ovary did the work of both for me. I'm sure you should find the same for you.

Unread 11-12-2010, 12:00 PM

Thanks all for your responses. Something happened this week. I think my hormones came to an abrupt halt and I could not stop crying this morning. My gyno put me on low dose prozac to get me through until I see him Thursday. feel better, at least I am not crying! Having issues sleeping, very fatigued, and low self esteem right now.

Hope this helps out.

Rena
Unread 11-20-2010, 11:13 PM

Hi there,

I am 10 days post op from TLH/RSO (including left tube). I had adenomyosis, cysts on right ovary, recent pre-cancerous cells removed from cervix and fluid build up in right tube.

I have only the left ovary remaining...I named her Patricia (smiles). She is still asleep/in shock from surgery. I understand where you are....I have had my fair share of crying spells that last for hours and my mood is very low. I have all of the symptoms of depression. I don't sleep, I have a very small appetite etc., etc, etc.

I have post-op appt on Monday and I am very anxious about it, because I don't know if my healing is progressing and if I will need a boost until or if my ovary will work again. Sigh.....Ughhh
Unread 02-27-2012, 09:22 AM

I also only have one ovary... after a LAVH they determined that my right ovary was the same size as my uterus... so it had to be removed too... As of now only being 4 days post-op I am having hot flashes- and cold spells... thats it, so far no cryin, no moods, just living life... it feels like I might pass out with the hot flashes...Hope this is all the side effects I have with the removal of one ovary until my body regulates the hormones.
Unread 02-27-2012, 10:32 AM

Hi ladies - I am at my 6 year Hysterversary today I had TAH/SAH. At about the 5/6 weeks my left ovary went into shock, must have stopped working and my body ran out of hormones. I woke up with the worst nights sweats - I was drenched, it felt like bugs crawling on me.. I called my Dr. in the morning and we discussed hormones and what it might do to the endo - he had removed everything that he could see but I was still worried about it coming back. I took a big chance and went on compounded estrogen and progesterone. I only needed it for a few months until my left ovary woke back up from the shock of surgery. I was 46 when I had the TAH. I then went a few years - I think it was not until I was 50 that I think I felt my ovary was starting to slow down for good and had the Dr test me... Then he also added some Testosterone to it too. He also was constantly checking my thyroid too. I love the compounded hormones because they are really easy to tweak if needed. I pray that you all find a solution that works - If you can get some hormones for the short period that the ovary is in shock that is great.. I had read after my hysterectomy that some Drs. put the patch type on their patients in the OR. I find that if i drink ice water right away when a night sweat starts I can head it off it cools my body off. So I go to bed with an insulated cup of ice water.. I don't need it most nights but it's there just in case.. Oh and I learned that ceiling fans with remotes are the best thing since sliced bread, we had to replace ours and my husband saw the remote and added it to the fan - what a sweet heart.. I love him..
Just don't be afraid to call your Dr. and ask him/her. You DO NOT need to suffer with those hot flashes and night sweats. Well unless you have a medical reason to not be on hormones. I wish all of you and take the time to really rest up in your healing time... it will be gone in a flash..
Blessings,
Bev
Unread 03-04-2012, 11:44 AM

Hello Ladies,
I am 44yrs old and had a hysterectomy on March 8, 2011. My uterus, cervix and left ovary were removed. I feel so much better now. My heart was in trouble. I first had a myomectomy when I was about 28 years old. My doctor at that time didn't recommend a hysterectomy because I was so young. My fibroids returned and were bigger than before. The one on my uterus felt like I was nine months pregnant again. I tried all the natural treatments for shrinking the fibroids and that didn't help enough. I kept loosing large amounts of blood during my menstrual. The year before I decided to have the operation I had to go to the emergency because I felt like I was about to stop breathing and when I got there my blood count was 5. I had to get (three bags) blood transfusions before leaving the hospital. After that I started getting iron infusions. I kept praying and looking (1 year search) for a good hospital, because my gynecologist returned to her home in Trinidad. I trusted her and probably would have had the operation sooner. My new hospital is excellent I feel very comfortable with them.

My cervix and left ovary had polyps and my left ovary had a cyst. My uterus looked like the size of a basketball.
So far I have experienced hot flashes, body odor, itching crawly skin, and joint pains. These have seemed to pass and now I am experiencing breathing problems, anxiety issues and an increase in blood pressure. Exercise is helping tremendously. I recently joined the gym and feel so much better.

The hardest thing I dealt with was the body odor. I was washing with all kinds of perfumed body wash and soap. I started researching and found out that this was a symptom of menopause. Had no idea it was, but that has passed. I didn’t know breathing problems was a symptom either.

SO NOW IF I EXPERIENCE ANY THING that is something I never experienced before I start looking for answers. But I know I can’t blame all abnormalities on menopause, my age and lifestyle are also factors.

Hot flashes return maybe a couple times a month usually if I have a drink or become frustrated (usually with my kids). But life is good. Diet change (eating healthy), exercise, and prayer would be my advice in helping with any post hysterectomy symptoms and just life in general.

And most important knowing that I had the procedure because I needed it to better my health has helped me deal with any changes in my body that I am experiencing.

God bless!!!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.