HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

endometrium mass endometrium mass

Unread 11-10-2010, 03:29 PM
endometrium mass

I am worried about what this means:

the endometrium is 14 mm. Uterus is 11.2 x 7.4 x 8.9 cm. There is a 6.3 x 5.5cm hypoechoic region to the left extending from the left aspect of the uterus which has the appearanc of an exophytic fibroid, although it is exophytic, it does have a mass effect upon the endometrium.

Ovaries are difficult to visualize transvaginally and are better visualized transabdominally. No cysts or mass is demonstrated on the ovaries.

Impression:
1. 6.3 cm region extending from the uterus which has the appearance of a large fibroid.
2. Endometrium is 14 mm.

Any input to explain this to me please????
Unread 11-10-2010, 09:02 PM
Re: endometrium mass

Cindy -

From what I can find it sounds like you have a fibroid growing from your uterus. Sounds like it is having some effect on your endometrium even though it is growing from it. However since I'm not a Dr and specifically not your Dr. this is all speculation.

I'm guessing you are asking us if we can tell you if this is cancerous or not? We can't from what you've told us it sounds like fibroids and a thickened endometrium.

Please call your Dr. and have them explain the information in lay person's terms so you can feel more informed about this report.

G.
Unread 11-11-2010, 05:00 AM

Ty, yes I was wondering more about the mass. I knew I had fibroids. That is why I went to GYN. I guess the reason I am concerned is because my paperwork from the Doc says I will need a total hysterectomy. We had talked about leaving my ovaries and my cervix. Now it looks as though they are taking everything .... I am calling her today to ask a few questions. because my surgery is a little over a week away.
Unread 11-12-2010, 01:21 PM

A total hysterectomy does not mean you are losing your ovaries.

A total hysterectomy refers to the uterus and the cervix (which is a part of the uterus).

The tubes and ovaries is a separate procedure. If both tubes and ovaries are removed it is called a BSO or bi-lateral salpingo oopherectomy (both sides tubes and ovaries).

As for the "mass" from what I'm reading it sounds like the fibroid is having some total (aka mass) affect on the uterine lining. Not that there is a separate mass.

Best to call the Dr. on this one.

G.
Unread 11-14-2010, 06:35 PM

yes I know that a total doesn't always mean taking the ovaries but this is what my paperwork says:
total hysterectomy with bilaterial salping oophorectomy. but no worries what ever it may be I have faith in my doctor and the Good Lord.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.