HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

daVinci surgery ~ any tips? daVinci surgery ~ any tips?

Unread 11-12-2010, 05:19 PM
daVinci surgery ~ any tips?

I am in Orlando and so far scheduled for radical hyst dec. 23rd. We are doing the da vinci also . Any tips ? I have been in bed for 4 moths on vicodin and went through three doctors before finally hearing someone that wanted to help solve my problem and not just try to manage my post ablation tubal ligation syndrome pain which is constant at this point. Any advice or just to hear how well da vinci did for you , how long you stayed in hospital and such would be appreciated
Unread 11-13-2010, 03:10 AM
Re: daVinci surgery ~ any tips?

We have many ((sisters)) who've had daVinci surgery and I hope they'll be along soon to share!

In the meantime, you may wish to check out the daVinci category in Our Hysterectomy Stories forum. The Pre-Op Page is packed with information, too.

Also, please take a moment to add the surgery date to your profile in order to fully participate on the site and in the forums. Many important features are triggered by this and we wouldn't want you to miss out! You can do that by visiting your User Control Panel, or by clicking here. Remember to then scroll down and “save changes”.

Sending all good wishes for your surgery and recovery!

Unread 11-13-2010, 06:59 AM

I'm glad you found a doctor who was able to suggest a solution vs. pain management for you! I'm also scheduled for a Da Vinci radical hysterectomy on 11/30 after dealing with 23 years of endometriosis and chronic pain. My doctor said I should only be in the hospital for 24 hours (23 hours and 59 minutes per insurance). This would be followed up by about 6 weeks for recovery before returning to work. This website is awesome and I recommend you get the free booklet they offer if you haven't already. I paid a little bit for shipping and handling to have it delivered faster so I could reference it before surgery. Good luck to you!
Unread 11-13-2010, 07:35 AM

thank you and good luck .. i ordered the booklet just havent received it yet . let us know how it goes ..
Unread 11-13-2010, 08:16 AM

Take it easy after the surgery, your body has to heal on the inside. You will have a lot of gas after the surgery, the doctor will recommend something for you to help you relieve the gas.

Hope all goes well!

Kenyarda
Unread 11-13-2010, 10:11 AM

I had DaVinci over a year ago and I have to say it was an easy surgery to recover from. Sometimes to easy. I felt like I could go to work after 2 weeks but I was not able too because I have a very labor intensive job. I have to say the worst part for me was the gas pains and I took Gas-X and it really did not help much for me personally.

If I had one suggestion it is to take the full time to recover. I wish I would have taken the 6 weeks and not the 4.

Good luck.
Unread 11-13-2010, 10:53 AM

My davinci was Sept 29, was in the hospital less than 30 hrs; hardly any gas pains at all afterwards, I was up walking about 10 hrs after the surgery, not too steady but I was up & it really didn't hurt. The only pain meds I took at home was 800mg Motrin, I got a scrip for percoset but didn't take it cause I was afraid it would upset my stomach. The worst part was not being able to sleep on my stomach for awhile .. I think you'll be surprised how relatively easy it will go. That's not to say you won't need the full time to recuperate; I went back to work half time after 4.5 weeks and am now full time at a desk job. My surgery was for uterine cancer, it was stage 1 so I got very, very lucky and don't need treatments. Be kind to yourself, be pampered and just have patience once you're home. Keep us posted on how you're doing!
Unread 11-13-2010, 10:59 AM

I had a hysterectomy by daVinci on October 28 2010. I also had a monarch bladder sling. It really was one of the least painful surgeries I have ever had. I stayed over night in hospital and went home with and hour and half drive to get there. That was not so much fun...lol!! But took the percocet for about a day or two and then ibuprofen. It really is hard not to do any work because you feel so good. However if I do to much I start to feel pain and cramping. So just relax and let time do its job!! Good luck and God Bless.
Unread 11-13-2010, 05:55 PM

I had a Davinci total hyst on Jul 29th. I was out of hospital in alittle over 24 hrs, and off of pain meds in less than 24 hrs. I went back to work in 3 weeks, but I have a desk job. I think I had an optimal experience. I think if there is anything that I could recommend is: take all the time that the doc gives you to recover. Walk as soon, and as much as you can. Of course, gradually increasing the walking distance. If you start to feel pain and/or discomfort..stop what you are doing. Rest even when you are bored senseless.
Unread 11-13-2010, 06:35 PM

Hi I had a DiVinci on June 22, 2010 and it was a wonderful experience. I had everything removed. I went to OR 8am and was discharged home 10am the next day. I took 2 doses of a narcotic post-op (1 in recovery room and one that night to assure restful sleep) I rec'd Toradol (which is like IV Motrin) in the hospital every 6 hours. I went home the next day and took nothing but Tylenol or Motrin. Drink plenty of water, use a gentile laxative and don't overdue it! I had 5 small incisions and had a lifting restriction when I went home but that was it. My doctor also gave me a "scope" patch (anti-nausea) that I put on the night before surgery and took off post op day 3 and never was sick to my stomach. I puked for 4 days after knee surgery so I was worried. The bowel prep before surgery was the worst part of the whole experience. Walk as soon as they let you get up, it will help move that C02 (gas) around. It will feel like pain under rib cage and move up and out thru shoulder joint. It might feel like you are having chest pain, don't panic, moving around is the only way to get rid of it. I know some docs forget to mention this (I'm a nurse) You can also take some Mylicon too. Do expect tiredness afterwards, mine lasted a few weeks. Eat light meals but be sure to get enough protein to assure good healing. Good luck! Liz

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.