HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Mini Periods? Mini Periods?

Unread 11-14-2010, 04:53 PM
Mini Periods?

Ok, found out today I could have mini periods for a few months to a year or maybe just one of the lucky few who has them until menopause.
I feel so depressed and honkerblonked off.
I almost can't even get my head around it.
I know the reason why it happens and all that, but ****.
I am 10 weeks post op. Have had 2 cycle with bleeding at both.
Unread 11-14-2010, 05:37 PM
Re: Mini Periods?

I've had once since my LSH on September 16th. It was just a smear of blood. The doctor said because I had a supracervical, some of the endometrial cells remain and the body still believes they have to be shed. I was surprised as well, but its not too bad.
Unread 11-14-2010, 05:46 PM

I'm so sorry to hear that. I understand how you must be feeling. I had an LSH and kept my cervix. My doctor told me there is a 10% chance I could have mini periods too. I was so anxious when I was due for my first "unperiod" after surgery. I didn't know if I'd bleed or have any pain or what. I just made it through my first month post op without a spot. I don't know if this will continue or If I might get something in the future, but all I know is I will never again have the pain, heavy bleeding, etc. like I did before surgery and that's worth it to me. I wish you luck and hopefully it won't last long for you.
Unread 11-14-2010, 06:17 PM

Did you keep your cervix? If so, that would be the reason why you are having mini periods.
Unread 11-14-2010, 06:32 PM

I had a LSH on Oct. 26th I am also worried about the mini periods. My Dr. told me it was only a 5% chance that I would have then, but that is too much for me. I understand that they only happen when you are due to have 1 but my problem is I never know when I am going to have a cycle, I use to bleed for 2 months straight stop for a couple days then start again. My Dr. did tell me that if I did get them then he could always remove my cervix at a later date but for the 5% chance it could happen it was worth trying to keep it.
Unread 11-14-2010, 06:49 PM

Thanks ladies for the replies.
LOL I see the site cleaned up my language....sorry about that.
Yes, I still have cervix and plan to keep it. I'm not going through that again and lose another organ; esp one that if taken out could possible cause more problems....ie..sexual function and/or prolapse....
I just feel sucker punched.
Yes, the periods are lighter and less effects but I feel mislead. And the reson to have the surgery was to eliminate the problems not ease them..make sense?
Sorry, I hate complaining. Just a bad day.
Unread 11-14-2010, 06:54 PM

PS
also when i contacted Dr. about bleeding his answer was to go on progesterone...
I was rather upset because my whole reason to proced with surgery was the birth control he had me on to manage the excessive bleeding led to high blood pressure and migranes, so I'm not thrilled about putting more chemical in my body.
Don't get the wrong idea..he had been a great Dr. I've been with him for years. And I'm sure I'm just "lucky" to be in the group of few to still bleed.
It's just so depressing to stillbe dealing with it.
Unread 11-14-2010, 07:01 PM

Just so I know, when you say "mini period" is it just bleeding, or cramps and the whole deal?
Unread 11-15-2010, 05:26 AM

Sorry to say it is the whole thing. I kept my cervix and ovaries. So i still have my normal hormones and every month I still get mood changes, bloating, amd yes bleeding. For me it is heavy enough to need to wear protection.
I say mini period because last month it lasted a few days; where before surgery it could last 10-14 days with 10-14 off and 10-14 on.
Unread 11-15-2010, 09:57 AM

How discouraged you must feel.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.