HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Laparoscopic VERSES da Vinci Laparoscopic VERSES da Vinci

Unread 11-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Laparoscopic VERSES da Vinci

My Dr is in the process of getting my planned hysterectomy approved through insurance. I was given the option of having either a 1. Laparoscopic Hysterectomy OR a 2. da Vinci Hysterectomy. From what I have read and what the Drs. tell me, they are both minimally invasive options and the recovery time is the same.

My preferred Dr. only does Laparoscopic. But my very close 2nd choice Dr. offers the da Vinci option.

Do any of you have an opinion either way? IMO, there really doesn't seem to be much of a difference between the 2 options. Am I missing something?
Unread 11-18-2010, 07:55 PM
Re: Laparoscopic VERSES da Vinci

There are differences between the two types of surgeries and each has its own pros and cons. If you have the option of choosing which type of surgery, carefully weigh each pro and con for you.

Quickly, there are a few differences that I have seen sway women's decisions. The da Vinci system can offer more visability and flexibility enabling a doctor to do more precise work. On the other hand, longer anesthesia is required for surgery with the da Vinci robot as well as more incision sites.

Hopefully, ladies will drop by and share why they chose one type over the other and how things worked out for them. You will find doctors and patients who will be strong advocates of both procedures, and doctors and patients who will be opponents of both.

For what it is worth, I had a lap assisted vaginal hysterectomy as the da Vinci was not available a decade ago when I had my surgery!

You can also click on Hysterectomy Options in the blue bar across the top of your screen. There you can read about the details regarding the various types of surgery.

s
Unread 11-18-2010, 08:27 PM

Thanks for the message. There are only 4 Drs in my area that do the DaVinci & 2 of the 4 work for the same clinic. It has been hard to get into the DaVinci Drs for a consult - but I was able to get the triage nurse on the phone. She has really pushed the DaVinci. But I don't see a huge enough difference to completely switch practices and Drs. ... Of Course I am totally willing to switch if I could just find out why the DaVinci is "so much better" then the lap. (I will be having a partial - leaving ovaries & cervix.)
Unread 11-18-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourSeasons View Post
Thanks for the message. There are only 4 Drs in my area that do the DaVinci & 2 of the 4 work for the same clinic. It has been hard to get into the DaVinci Drs for a consult - but I was able to get the triage nurse on the phone. She has really pushed the DaVinci. But I don't see a huge enough difference to completely switch practices and Drs. ... Of Course I am totally willing to switch if I could just find out why the DaVinci is "so much better" then the lap. (I will be having a partial - leaving ovaries & cervix.)
I had LAVH (cervix removed) and had a 2-inch incision in my belly button and one small (less than 1 inch) in my bikini line. Recovery was a breeze compared to what I have been reading in other threads from DaVinci patients. Personally, I would have chosen the surgery I had rather than go to a surgeon I didn't know for the DaVinci. Just my opinion.
Unread 11-19-2010, 07:36 AM

Based on what Weiser said about the da vinci surgery allowing the surgeon to do more precise work, I'm wondering if that may be a good choice for a hysterectomy that is likely to involve more "cleanup work", or more than a straightforward removal of the uterus? Anyone know?

(I had a pretty straightforward situation, had LAVH on Monday, and today I'm not even feeling a twinge of pain)
Unread 11-19-2010, 08:29 AM

I had a da Vinci hysterectomy on Sept. 13. The doctor removed everything, uterus, ovaries, cervix and fallopian tubes. I was in the pre-cancer stage and luckily, NO CANCER was found. It really was no big deal. Went home the next day. The worst pain was the gas pains after the surgery that lasted for about 1 week. Do yourself a favor and get Xtra-strength Tums. Doctor recommended Gas-X but the Tums worked way better for me. Get copies of all of your surgical reports. I had a burning pain in my vagina every time I urinated after surgery and was being treated for a uti. Upon requesting my reports, I found that an abrasion on the right side of my vagina happened during my surgery and the doctor treated it with silver nitrate and that was causing my pain. The remedy--apply vaseline every time I urinated! I still have a little discomfort in that area but nothing major. I was off of work for 7 weeks and am in my second week back to work. Tire around 1:30 in the afternoon because I used to nap at that time. It really takes a full year to fully recover.
Unread 11-19-2010, 08:55 AM

Hi Four Seasons! If you haven't already asked, you could find out how much experience each surgeon has in their own specialization...how many times has your surgeone performed an LSH? How many times has the other surgeon performed a DaVinci procedure? It might seem confrontational but it really isn't...it's no different than asking a potential client what their work experience is, except in this case it is even more important! My husband asked my surgeon this question and he was very open in explaining the various stages of his experience, he took no offence and understood why it was important for us to know that. If they don't like the question, that in itself might be a consideration for you? If you don't have a strong opinion on which procedure you go with, it may be best to go with the surgeon who is most experienced in their specialization?

Wishing you the very best with your decision, and your surgery/recovery!

Unread 11-19-2010, 09:17 AM

So I called and asked the triage nurse of the DR that does the Da Vinci if there is a huge difference with the DaVinci instead of the Lap. But she said she couldn't answer that for me because "I wasn't a patient of record". Whatever. So I have to be a patient before they will tell me the difference? I told her I needed to know if there was a big enough difference to even warrant going in for a consult. No answer. So now I'm hunting around trying to find the answer from ladies who have BTDT.
Unread 11-19-2010, 09:20 AM

Hi Fire - That is what I am thinking. I did ask both Drs - and they both have been doing LSH for the same length of time. But the DaVinci Dr started offering DaVinci about 4 years ago and has been doing those almost exclusively since. Her nurse said she does about 3 a week. ... So I'm thinking of just sticking with the LSH Dr. since that is who I know. Unless I can find a better reason to go in for a consult with the Davinci Dr - which I haven't found yet ...
Unread 11-19-2010, 09:26 AM

FourSeasons, one difficulty in answering your questions is that nobody has first-hand experience to compare the two methods We pick one or the other, it goes well or not so well, and if it doesn't go well that may have nothing to do with the method we've chosen. Da Vinci and conventional laparoscopic are just two different tools to accomplish the same thing -- it seems to me that the bigger factor is how skilled a given surgeon is with the tool that she/he uses.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.