HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

Notices

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Why is it hurting to sit? Why is it hurting to sit?

Unread 11-21-2010, 09:22 PM
Why is it hurting to sit?

I keep reading about people saying they are having sitting pain. What is this about? I haven't heard about this. Why is sitting a problem post-op?
Unread 11-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Re: Why is it hurting to sit?

Because a lot of work has been done down there and there is internal swelling and inflammation.
Unread 11-23-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Because a lot of work has been done down there and there is internal swelling and inflammation.
I understand that part of it-- especially in the days and weeks after the surgery.

I have just read several threads where people say that the pain happens around 4-6 weeks post-op... which I took to mean that they didn't have pain while sitting in the beginning and now do. I just didn't understand why it wouldn't be mentioned as a big issue immediately after they surgery and mentioned a lot as an issue several weeks after the surgery.

I ask for two reasons. I work from home and sit a lot at my computer. And I have two very young children (13 months and 3) I know I can't lift them for several months after the surgery but I was hoping to counter that with lots of floor playing... It just makes me nervous/sad if I can't sit without pain.
Unread 11-23-2010, 12:22 PM

kimberely i felt so thrilled that right after surgery i could sit on soft surfaces and i thought i had escaped the painful sitting. The first week i had normal post surgery pain, weeks 2 and 3 terrible nerve pain in my legs and then low and behold weeks 4-5 (i am 5 weeks right now) it got painful to sit. Supposedly everything is very swollen now, part of the healing process. But then i see some folks still have this 3 months out too. I sit on one of those neck pillows (cheaper and softer than a donut pillow). I still cannot sit on hard surfaces.

And as far as lifting your children after surgery, i think you will still be needing them to climb in your lap. I have permanent weight lifting restrictions.
Unread 11-23-2010, 01:20 PM

I have trouble sitting on hard surfaces because it causes me immediate bladder irritation so I have to go NOW.Don't know why yet...
Unread 11-23-2010, 03:59 PM

It hurts to sit if the mesh is too tight or if its eroding into the urethra.
Unread 11-23-2010, 10:11 PM

i do not have mesh, it is the swelling that is hurting me, it is less this week, week 5

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.