HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Should I go to the ER for possible abscess? (sort of long, sorry) Should I go to the ER for possible abscess? (sort of long, sorry)

Unread 11-25-2010, 03:55 AM
Should I go to the ER for possible abscess? (sort of long, sorry)

Starting yesterday, 20 days postop, I have had some pain in my right labial area. I took some vicodin and the pain went to a dull level that I could ignore. Now I've woken up 4 am this morning and there is a definite swelling on my right inner labial area.

The symptoms are really similar to when I had a Bartholin gland abscess several years ago. With that first episode it ruptured spontaneously in the middle of the night -- I actually woke up with a popping feeling down there and there was bloody pus drainage coming from my vaginal area. The next day the Dr confirmed it was an infected abscess and said there was still a great deal of pus coming out. It recurred and eventually the doctor did what she called a marsupialization (pouch?) of the gland.

Since yesterday the pain has worsened and the swelling seems worse. It is in pretty much the same area as the abscess I had years ago but I've also got tenderness going down into my buttock area now too. The thing is that my boyfriend and I did some messing around 2 days ago and I'm worried I have an infection and because of the surgery I'm worried that if I wait it out it will become a major thing instead of a minor thing. It's Thanksgiving morning so I can't try to get in to see the GYN. I don't want to look like an idiot and go to the ER for something that could wait a day. Boyfriend is beside himself with worry and I haven't told him it's gotten worse because I feel guilty myself. I don't know what to do.
Unread 11-25-2010, 04:23 AM
Re: Should I go to the ER for possible abscess? (sort of long, sorry)

If it were me, I'd go to the ER. If there's an infection brewing, you don't want it to get worse. Hope it's nothing serious and that you feel better soon.
Unread 11-25-2010, 08:13 AM

I also had bartholin abcesses in the past and they are incredibly painful. I personally would go to the ER because they tell you if you get an infection, get help right away. You don't want that to spread. They can reassure you, or treat you, but don't let it go. I think in your recovery time it has to be 'all about you.' You cannot look like an idiot for taking care of yourself. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!
Unread 11-25-2010, 09:31 AM

Thanks to both of you for your support. I waited until 7 this morning to call the on-call doc. She was concerned but told me to try warm compresses and said as long as the pain did not spread or become more intense I can wait to be seen tomorrow at the office but am to go to the ER otherwise. Let me tell you, it's hard to find a non-awkward way to have a hot water bottle between your legs while making sure it is staying in the right place! That and some pain medication and I'm not in any pain right now. I'm trying to be optimistic that I can make it through the day but I will definitely go to the ER (conveniently located just 4 blocks from where I'll be having dinner today) if things progress.

As always, thanks for the support and I hope everyone has a pain-free (or at least not uncomfortable) Thanksgiving with loved ones.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.