HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Stomach a mess 2 months post op?? Stomach a mess 2 months post op??

Unread 11-30-2010, 09:49 AM
Stomach a mess 2 months post op??

Its been a while since I've really posted anything. I'm actually going on 3 months in December post op from LSH kept ovaries - since week 5 post op my stomach and bowel movements haven't been like myself. I don't feel like myself in general.

At around week 5 I thought I was feeling better and emailed my surgeon asking about whether or not I could start an exercise program. He replied yes, my stitches have healed back in week 1 - this was laproscopic supracervical hysterectomy for adenomyosis - the surgeon acted as if I just had a tooth pulled throughout the whole thing - okay ... so with his reply I started gradually getting back into things, walking a lot at first, then by week 7 post op I started on the eliptical machine 30 mins at a low level gradually working my levels up - also started pilates at about week 7 post op. All with the surgeon's approval.

I feel great after a workout - but extremely tired - and my stomach also is still swelling - I notice, if I do too much, like get a work out in and then come home and house clean for a bulk of the day. I am spent and sick to my stomach and even weird bowel movements - I just feel a mess.

I'm afraid something is wrong. Anybody out here in hysterland know about something I don't? I hope things didn't get messed up in there. My butt is sore too (TMI again, I know).

I'm not in the pain I used to be in - although, I do feel slight pulling in the lap incision areas (especially where they pulled the uterus from) when I do too much. But, the Dr. says exercise is ok. Even pilates ...

Help ...
Unread 11-30-2010, 10:43 AM
Re: Stomach a mess 2 months post op??

Listen to your body... remember, everyone recovers at a different rate. Just because your Dr. says it's ok, it may not be ok with your body. Take care & rest when you need to. I've had several friends tell me it takes 6mths, to 1 year to all of your organs to get back to "normal". I know it's hard, but be patient & it will all settle down.
Unread 11-30-2010, 12:08 PM

Thank you, I love xmas too. But I'm not feeling too christmas-sy lately. No energy, yucky stomach, swelling stomach.

I'm afraid of gall bladder issues, irritable bowel syndrome, colitis ... someone else was telling me this morning the same thing you have told me and it is a little bit comforting, just to know that maybe I'm not settled in there altogether yet ... that is what it kind of feels like. Like I'm SUPPOSED to be all set because 6 wks post op has been long ago now and the fact that the surgeon keeps treating me like my surgery was nothing (compared to other types) makes me feel like I'M SUPPOSED TO BE FEELING FINE BY NOW but I'm just not 100% - and this stomach is not the same.

I'm taking it easy(ier) from now on.
Unread 11-30-2010, 01:07 PM

I am 5 weeks post op today and I still have the pulling and tugging and as for the swelly belly I still can't wear my pants I have been back at work for 3 weeks now. I mainly sit around but still don't feel like myself I also thought I should be a lot better by now but I am starting to think this is how I am going to feel forever I am glad that I won't be bleeding like I did but I thought I would have more energy than this seeing as I am not looseing all the blood I was before.
I hope you are feeling better soon.
Unread 11-30-2010, 02:01 PM

Doctors kill me with generalizing everything, including the rate at which every patient should heal. Every person is different and has different issues, and therefore will respond to surgeries and meds different from other patients. And acting like you had a tooth pulled? Minor surgery is surgery performed on someone else! I agree with ilovexmas. You need to listen to your body. It knows what you need and what your limitations are much better than your doctor does. If you are going to do a lot of housework, cut your workout in half, or consider your housework your workout. God knows cleaning house uses every muscle we've got!
As for being afraid of gall bladder issues or IBS, I've had both. Had the gall bladder removed several years ago. I've had IBS and a spastic colon for many years. I'd be happy to tell you what symptoms are for any of the above if you don't already know.
I had robotic-assisted total hysterectomy a week ago today. I'm pretty sore, and still have some swelling. The gas pain was unreal. I took milk of magnesia and it helped. I had lost 95 lbs before surgery, so I really hope the swelling goes away soon so I can get in my regular clothes again. And I'll be glad to get back to my workout routine as well.
Hang in there and remember that you're the one dealing with this, not your doctor, so make him listen to your issues.
Unread 11-30-2010, 03:20 PM

I can tell a difference in my bowel movements since surgery too. My stomach is more sensitive to food and tends to get upset easier. I am having a scope done Dec. 6th because I had bleeding in my stomach and intestines immediately after my surgery. I hope I will get some answers from that. I feel so bad after some bowel movements that I have to lay down for a few minutes. I am regular, just different. I am 2 months post op.
Unread 11-30-2010, 04:05 PM

Hi -- I also have stomach issues off and on -- discouraging. I have been wondering if its hormone issues too..just not sure. Overall I feel sooooo much better, but still can't walk fast w/o feeling it later - esp where a drain was placed for my 2nd surgery - whenever I overdo it man do I feel it there. UGH! But I'm most worried about stomach/colon/bowel issues..my son had an appendectomy when he was 13 - he is 16 and has never been the same - I just worry that any kind of abdominal surgery really messes with bowels etc. HOpefully this is all just part of recovery!!!Take Care!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway