HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Hysterectomy and PMS Hysterectomy and PMS

Unread 12-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Hysterectomy and PMS

Hi,
I have extremely heavy periods and am considering a hysterectomy. I am bi-polar and my pms is unbearable before and during my period. I'm sure some of the pms is from my being bi-polar, but it's so much worse before and during my period. I do not want to have my Ovaries taken out, but I feel that is what triggers pms. I am 46, have never had children and don't want them. I really would like a hysterectomy (the easiest surgery possible), but am worried that just by removing my uterus it won't allivieate the debilitating pms I have

Can anyone tell me, if I have a hysterectomy where just my uterus is taken out, will my pms subside as well?
thanks in advance,
cyndi
Unread 12-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Re: Hysterectomy and PMS

Hi Cyndi

I had my uterus removed and kept my ovaries. I did experience a lessening of PMS symptoms, but I've read posts from lots of women here who had no change at all.

Have you had a second opinion yet, to determine if the hysterectomy is the best approach for dealing with your bleeding and to talk about how to manage your bipolar symptoms while your body adjusts after the surgery?

There may not be a way to predict how any one woman will be after a hysterectomy, but it can help to anticipate various outcomes so you can have a plan in place ahead of time.

Unread 12-12-2010, 02:59 PM

I had a hysterectomy 4 weeks ago, kept my ovaries, have no children like yourself, and I experienced my monthly PMS this week.

PMS before surgery: "Hi. I want to kill you. I don't know you, but I want to kill you. I want to eat your chocolate, I want to bite your head, and I want to run over your flower pots. Have a nice day." I popped more advil than a kid on skittles........

PMS after surgery: "Hi. Wow is it hot in here? Man I want some french fries. Hey let's go to the movies." Was that PMS? Hmm..HARDLY NOTICED.

These were my experiences
Unread 12-14-2010, 09:06 PM

Thank you Fritzi64, I've heard the same from some women who have kept their ovaries and I've discussed some options with my psychiatrist. I'm still in the "thinking about it stage" with my first consultation on Jan. 5 to talk about options and the likes... and Maydin, you made me laugh
I love your description of your PMS. I recently lost my dog and I haven't laughed in a while. your description of your pre surgery PMS symptoms made me snort, i laughed so hard. I really needed that. thanks to the both of you for sharing your experience, strength and hope

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.