HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Pain in groin, hip, leg, low back?? Pain in groin, hip, leg, low back??

Unread 12-13-2010, 07:45 AM
Pain in groin, hip, leg, low back??

I've been having pain in my right side--groin/inside and front of right thigh/right hip--pretty much constant but worse with the onset of my period (but not really worse during the actual duration of my period) and with walking and sitting. Lifting doesn't seem to impact it much.

The pain in the groin is the worst and it radiates to the other areas. Sometimes it feels like a knife stabs me there when I move; other times it's just an ache that just won't go away. I limp all the time and I can't even walk a couple hundred yards without having the pain increase to the point where I worry if I'm going to be able to walk back to my house without lying down on the ground to take a break. It's been there for at least 6 months--seems to lessen a bit occasionally and then it flares again.

I've had physical therapy and acupuncture, thinking it could be a back, since I do have a mild back problem, but it never really gets better.

I recently discovered that a fibroid I have had for at least 10 years has grown to the size of a plump naval orange and my uterus is the size of a 12 week pregnancy. Prior to that the fibroid was the size of a grape for years. The fibroid is located on the right side--same side as the pain.

I'm scheduled to have a hysterectomy January 5th. The GYN surgeon thinks my problems are partially due to the fibroid and partially due to a musculoskeletal problem of some sort, although no one seems to be able to identify what that might be that just doesn't get better. I've been checked out for back problems and I do have a mild disc problem, but the ortho MD doesn't think it has anything to do with the groin, hip, and right leg pain, since the disc prob I have wouldn't normally cause pain in the groin/front of the thigh/hip like I'm experiencing.

I'm hoping like crazy that the hysterectomy improves the pain. The only thing that seems to help is 800 mg of ibuprofen every 8 hours, which I've been taking pretty much non-stop since July. Taking that much for that long of a period of time worries me because it can damage the kidneys and stomach. Without the ibuprofen, I am in so much pain that even moving my leg in bed feels like I'm being stabbed with a knife in my groin. With the ibuprofen I can at least do the basics of what I need to do, although I'm still in pain constantly. I'm a little nervous because I'm not supposed to take any ibuprofen or drugs in that family during the week before my surgery. I hope I can even walk by my sugery date! I'll give Tylenol a try, but that's really never been effective for any pain. Ibuprofen has always been my most effective pain reliever.

I'm usually not a wuss about pain, but this really has got me backed into a corner. I'm really hoping that the hysterectomy makes things better.

I'd love to hear from any of you who have currently or who have had pain like I'm describing, if your GYN thinks it is due to your GYN probs, and, for those of you who have had a hysterectomy, if you felt better after your hysterectomy.

Thanks!
Unread 12-13-2010, 08:42 AM
Re: Pain in groin, hip, leg, low back??

hiya i've had pains like what you have discribed for a year. i don't have, fibroids, or so they say, but i have had polyps in my uterus and cervix. I started getting the horrible pains after the last polyp was removed from my uterus. i get it in my thighs and groin its like constant period pains. the only thing to easy it was zoladex injections in my stomach which i have every month. this puts my uterus, ovaries, cervix everything down there asleep, but its not long term. i'm having my hysterctomy 10.1.11 and i'm sure it will get rid of the pain. keep in touch with me and let me know how you get on
Unread 12-13-2010, 12:03 PM

For years I had that type of pain and was treated by several doctors for my back which does have it's own issues. But after my surgery all that pain went away. My doctor told me that the pressure from cysts, fibroids can make the back hurt which then presses on the nerves down your legs. It's been 9 months now without any back or leg pain.

So in my case the back pain was from all the cysts on both ovaries and the fibroids.

Wishing you an quick and easy recovery.
Unread 12-13-2010, 02:53 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. It's comforting to know that at least a couple of you have found relief.

It feels like a searing pain in my groin that spreads. Not really like menstrual cramps; just plain pain--like something is jabbing me. After 6 months of this every day, it's getting very old ...
Unread 12-13-2010, 03:05 PM

Make sure to rule out Hernia and possible colon problems before you decide on treatment. I have a friend who had a hyst but her same pain returned. She then found out she never needed a hyst. She just needed a hernia operation. She is furious about what happened to her.
Unread 12-13-2010, 09:46 PM

I have very similar pains at times. I've been told that my endometriosis, adhesions, and fibroids can all contribute. I also second getting the hernia possibility checked out, but these are other ideas to ask your doctor about, too.

Best wishes!
Unread 12-14-2010, 04:44 AM

I have exactly the same kind of pain - it feels like someone is stabbing me with a hot poker in the sides and across my lower abdomen, and the pain shoots down my legs and into my lower back.

I am scheduled for a TAH in less than a week, and have been off on sick leave for the two weeks since the pain has intensified to the point where I couldn't even sit comfortably and focus at work. The heating pad and painkillers have been critical to give even a bit of comfort.

My surgeon thinks the problem is either adenomyosis or endometriosis (a laparoscopy almost two years ago didn't show any endo though). I will just be happy to find out what is causing the pain and have it over with! Best of luck to you with your surgery next month and I hope you get some answers too.
Unread 12-14-2010, 09:48 AM

I was just going to post almost the same exact thing. I've done a lot of searches on this sight and found it to be common. I'm one week away from TVH and I can't wait!! My belly is enormous, I'm in so much pain and I'm miserable!!! Closer to the period the worse the pain gets. It's day 17 of my cycle and I'm starting to spot. Not being able to take anything by tylenol is hard but I keep dreaming of next week at this time coming out of surgery! The hip pain is INSANE!!

Hang in there!!! We can get through it!!!!
Unread 12-14-2010, 11:16 AM

ohsothrilled: You mentioned you can take only Tylenol--is that because of the surgery being so soon and increased bleeding risks with aspirin, ibuprofen, and that family of drugs? I had my pre-op last week and they told me no ibuprofen for 7 days before--I told them I was worried that I wouldn't be able to walk by the time of surgery!! They said it would be OK to take some very sparingly. But, luckily I found that I can get by with Tylenol--the max dose. It doesn't take care of the pain as well as ibuprofen, but it dulls it to the point where I can keep working and doing the basics at home.

I sit at work sometimes, though, feeling like I just want to scream "I WANT THIS TO BE OVER!!!" My surgeon thinks that a good part of my pain is due to the size and positioning of the fibroid and that I'll feel a lot better afterwards. I'm really counting on that.

I had been nervous about having the hysterectomy, but over the past week as my pain has increased even more, I'm actually looking forward to it. I was joking around with co-workers yesterday that I'm ready to grab a steak knife and a pint of whiskey and do it myself!

I've been wondering about endometriosis or adenomyosis, but I don't have textbook symptoms. I don't bleed super heavy like I read about most women having, but I do expell pretty much straight clots (not much of an actual "flow") for several days for my period. Some are kind of large, but most aren't larger than a quarter. I have some intense cramps the first day or two, but after that it's sporadic--I'm talking about cramps that are different from the pain I have every day.

I really appreciate everyone writing in and giving suggestions or describing what's going on with them. It makes me feel like I'm not so alone.
Unread 12-14-2010, 12:53 PM

Yeah, only tylenol pre-op. I'm like you, ready for whisky and a steak knife!!

I had ablasion done 3 years ago. It didn't totally eliminate my periods. My gyn said that if it doesn't, within 3-5 years it generally comes back and then a hysterectomy is he only way to get rid of it. If we do an ablasion again it would do the same thing. And if you do still bleed it's probably adeno in the muscle tissue. I've read about women who've had serious adeno with no periods at all because the had ablasion. It was still there.

I've had the back pain off and on for a while. The bleeding just started to get worse and now it seems like since I talked about it with by gyn and scheduled surgery it's all falling apart. The more I read about the experiences of other women the more things fall into place. I've ignored things for so long. I look so pregnant! I've moved into sweats and leggings.

From what I can gather, until the doctor get's in there to do the surgery they don't really know what's going on. A woman will go in for a TVH and it will become a TAH. My doctor said that can happen. He'll take the ovaries if he needs to but would rather not. It's a wait and see. I'm not terribly attached to any of it so if he has to take the ovaries I'm OK with it. I'd rather not have a abdominal cut and I'm sure he'd rather not make one but you do what you need to do. I trust my gyn very much.

One more week and it'll be over!!! I'm thinking one week from now I'll be post op with no back pain!!!!!

When are you scheduled? oops - edit. there it is January 5. Just a few more weeks too! I'm having it before Christmas so the kids won't have to be anywhere for 2 weeks.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.