HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

vaginal drainage vaginal drainage

Unread 12-23-2010, 06:48 AM
vaginal drainage

I'm two weeks out (LVAH) and have started having drainage (old brown blood, pink blood, and sometimes bright red) come out. The initial drainage stopped about 3 days after surgery. Is this normal to have it suddenly start again?
Unread 12-23-2010, 07:39 AM
Re: vaginal drainage

Hi and Happy Holidays! I am three weeks out (DvH with TVH) and I had the exact same thing. My intial drainage/spotting only lasted about 3 days after surgery. I then had somewhat of a clearish looking discharge for the next week or so. Then, right before my 2 week mark, I started bleeding, started off somewhat brownish, then changed to bright red blood. It was a Saturday so I called the Dr. because I wasn't sure if it was normal. The dr. on call said probably nothing but an internal clot (which is normal) that had released but to be on the safe side, to just lie down and put my feet up for the rest of the weekend and they would see me on Monday (he did mention though if I started soaking a pad every hour I would need to go to hospital). I went in on Monday and saw my doctor that did the surgery and he examined me. He said everything looked fine and felt fine and that he thought what had happened was that one of the incisions on my vaginal cuff had dissolved and there was a small area where some residual blood that was behind it came out. No big deal and he said that is not out of the ordinary. I'm sure you are experiencing somewhat of the same thing, but to be on the safe side and since it is almost the holidays, I would call your dr's office and speak with them. I'm sure everything is fine!! Good luck!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway