HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

1 wk. out and incision just popped open! 1 wk. out and incision just popped open!

Unread 12-28-2010, 09:42 PM
1 wk. out and incision just popped open!

Hi ladies! I'm exactly 1 week post-op today from a total laparoscopic hyst. My surgeon said I could remove my steri-strips after a week. I have 3 small incisions, 2 horizontal and one vertical on my belly button. The one on my belly button never has seemed quite right. After the first day of coming home the steri-strips didn't even look like they were covering all of it.

Anyways, I decided to take them off yesterday, late afternoon, because they were kind of coming off. Just a little while ago I was trying to gently clean out my belly button with a Q-tip when most of the incision just popped back open. I called the on-call doc where I had my procedure and he said to just put a bandaide over it. I was concerned that wasn't enough so I made my own little steri-strips out of bandaides and then put a huge piece of tape over it. I'm worried about it not healing right or getting infected.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? I can't decided if I should call my doc in the morning or not. I feel kind of silly because I already called them due to having trouble with severe nausea and vomiting. They just said I probably got a touch of the flu while I was in the hospital and would be fine. I don't want to call again and look like I'm being over-sensitive on something that isn't a big deal.

Any advice?
Unread 12-28-2010, 10:32 PM
Re: 1 wk. out and incision just popped open!

I had an TAH and 3 weeks post the retention sutures that were on top of the skin went into the skin and opened the incision. I waited a few days which was mistake, the pain was horrid and I had the beginning of a staph infection even though I kept it clean and no pus was evident. Based on my experience I would not delay go to the emergency room and let them at least look at it.
Unread 12-28-2010, 10:34 PM

I had an incision open under my pouch after the steri strip was removed. My dr said get saline and guaze and flush it up to 4x a day and put clean guaze on it. Well I have only flushed it once a day and clean guaze. I go to dr every week and it's not infected. She said keep doing what IM doing. The opening was the size of a nickel at first but 4 weeks today it is now darker and smaller. The size of a pinky nail.

Never think u are being a burden to ur dr. U are paying him! U only get one body and if something doesn't feel or seem right then you call. Afterall the wouldn't have jobs if ppl didn't! (smile)
Unread 12-28-2010, 10:44 PM

Hm...I think I'm going to call my doc ASAP in the morning. Even if I can keep it clean and not infected, I'm worried it won't close right. Mine is about the size of a nickel too. It was smaller at first, but then just continued opening more and more and I could see deeper and deeper into it. Yuck! It hurts a little right now, but not enough to make me take pain meds for it.

Thank you guys for replying!
Unread 12-29-2010, 01:09 AM

please make sure they see you. If they just try to guess what it looks like it could cause you more problems later. and you may have a touch of the flu but since you just had major surgery any illness should be taken seriously. Make sure to make that point. You are in charge not them. You pay them. Hugs girl
Unread 12-29-2010, 10:53 PM

Went back in to my doctor early today. When I called this morning, she wanted to see me right away. She cleaned it out and now I've been told to keep steri-strips on it for as long as I can. She even gave me some to take home so I could put on some clean ones once these get yucky. I'm really glad I went and feel much better about it now.

Thanks again for all your replies!
Unread 12-30-2010, 01:13 AM

I had a similar problem after mine, and it oozed brown stuff. My doc used silver nitrate to close it back up and put fresh dressings on it. I would definitely go to the doc. Better safe than sorry, you don't need an infection to complicate your healing.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.