HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Severe Anxiety and Anxiety Attack after surgery. Severe Anxiety and Anxiety Attack after surgery.

Unread 12-29-2010, 01:41 PM
Severe Anxiety and Anxiety Attack after surgery.

I have severe Generalized Anxiety Disorder and OCD and Health Anxiety. Since my surgery it has been so bad to the point where I had a panic attack on Christmas. Just wonderin if anyone with an underlying anxiety disorder has gotten worse since their surgery. I cant stop shaking and have insomnia and muscle twitching.
Unread 12-29-2010, 01:45 PM
Re: Severe Anxiety and Anxiety Attack after surgery.

yes, I still have insomnia 5 weeks out despite taking ativan, and the first few weeks had lots of shaking and twitching....it did settle down but the first weeks were the hardest, had to use coping skills and behvioural stuff to destress...all the best to you
Unread 12-29-2010, 02:51 PM

Oh yes....hang in there...I still have anxiety....some days I have moments when I shake all over...stay warm I have found that helps...I also had the muscle twitching..still do but it is getting better...I am one year out, but it was a very hard road to go down...I am here for you if you need anything..
Unread 12-29-2010, 04:01 PM

I have panic disorder so I can relate. Are you on HRT? I had severe anxiety when my estrogen was too low so that may be what you're dealing with. I hope you feel better soon.
Unread 12-29-2010, 05:07 PM

It could be your hormones contributing to it, & that should settle down a little bit in time also. I had severe anxiety when I took estrogen, & it got better when I took natural progesterone cream. It's not gone, but it's alot better. Maybe get your hormone levels checked?

Good luck & hope you feel better soon.
Unread 01-15-2011, 11:39 AM

Girl I don't have OCD or GAD (my husband has it so I am familiar with it), but I am having anxiety too. I think I just had my first anxiety attack. What's that all about?! When was your surgery? I am a month out and this last week has been rough emotionally.
Unread 01-15-2011, 12:57 PM
Severe Anxiety and Anxiety Attack after surgery.

I've got a long history of anxiety and panic attacks. I take xanax from time to time but hadn't had a full-blown panic attack in years. I had my surgery on 1-10. I came home the next day and have been doing beyond my expectations physically. However, on 1-12 I had a full-blown panic attack in the shower. Since then I've been having free-floating anxiety a lot of the time. I can't figure out if I'm still reacting to the drugs I had during surgery or if having my ovaries removed has kicked in some more menopausal symptoms. I'm 55 and had been mostly symptom-free menopausally for the last year or so. I've been having more hot flashes as well, so I'm guessing those shriveled up ovaries were still putting out a little estrogen that I'm missing now. I've stepped up my Xanax dosage a little until I have my first post op visit with my Gyn Onc next week.
Unread 01-15-2011, 01:15 PM

Hi--I'm 4 mo post op -- was on lexapro about 10 years ago for anxiety -- but I got better and was doing pretty well...since surgery I've had a few anxiety/panic attacks. I sometimes have an entire day where I feel 'off' the whole day and very nervous - for no reason at all. I hate how it feels. I felt like this a few times before my surgery but I attributed it to anemia and also how sick I was before the surgery. I am now on estrace cream (very small amount) because I kept my ovaries but I was having bad dryness issues. My dr told me he suspects I'm low estrogen (I haven't had it tested) due to my age (47) and the surgery. I'm going to track how often I get anxious and what else is going on in my life at the time -work has been stressful for me lately so I think that's a factor also. I figure if it gets really bad I'll go back have my hormones checked. Anxiety -- the panic attacks especially - I can't stand --and then I worry when the next one will hit. UGH! Hugs to everyone -- at least I know I'm not alone feeling like this!
Unread 05-05-2011, 06:25 AM

I suffer from panic attacks. I had my first attack prior to my hysterectomy and have them less often but I still have them. I thought it was because I was anemic and also I was working 13 to 15 hours a day. Now Im down to 8 hours a day. I had my hysterectomy 3/25/11 and I am concerned about my panic attacks. I dont take anything for them and the doctor told me I just needed more rest? Any suggestion on natural remedies for panic attacks?
Unread 05-05-2011, 03:13 PM

I never had a problem w/anxiety before the surgery, but after, I've had several attacks. Its positiviely aweful. I am 8 weeks post op tomorrow and they haven't stopped. My sleep has been affected by these attacks. I talked to my dr about it and he was able to help me. So please - if you are having problems, please talk to your dr.

Good Lluck to everyone!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.