HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

rectocele repaired and OUCH rectocele repaired and OUCH

Unread 12-30-2010, 04:23 PM
rectocele repaired and OUCH

after watching videos of how it was done I almost backed out. But I decided to go ahead. I wish I hadn't. The anesthesiologist was as ***. ended up in ICU for a few hours for no reason. I then got moved to a reg floor where I saw the nurses rarely.( That is not Like this hospital, and I have complained)
But here is my discharge orders from doc at 7am
"Oh you couldn't pee?"
"no I wasn't ask to & i have a catheter"
How come he says,
I said it was put in B4 surgery
he said no it wasn't
I said yes it was, I was awake when they did it"
he shook his head & said well lets take it, and IV out so you can go home. I said OK
He says just do what you want, you won't need any pain pills, don't lift anything heavy, I said how heavy, is firewood OK he says yes that's fine.
fast forward to 1 pm Paul arrives, I said I can't pee, would like to try in shower need towels & need pain pillls( I had asked at 4am, 8 am, 12noon....never got for pain meds.
so he goes out asks again........2:00 no towels no meds. luckily I had him bring some of my vicodin from home.
so he goes out again asks for towels, she said oh, I forgot your pain meds. and towels are locked up. OK he said But you don't need to bring pain pills I brought some from home.
2:30 still no towels housekeeping comes in to clean room, told her I was discharged. she said OK then we'll wait, is there anything else I can get you? Towels Paul said for a shower, 2 mins later we had towels. So I take a shower no pee. 3pm nurse comes in said I hear you are ready to go?(dunno from who) I said I can't pee. she said you haven't drank enough. I said I have drank every time I was up, and many times in bed. BUT if I'd of had some food I may have drank more. she said you didn't fill out menu. I said I have NOT had any food for 3 days, and no one noticed. she just looked at me handed papers for discharge to Paul, said you have follow up appts with Dr.R & Dr.A. Let me know when you are ready it takes 5 mins for them,and walked out.
They came I stopped at desk, asked her name , and told her it was so I could file a complaint on her.
and home I went, after a hot bath & no pee, bout 11pm I peed a tiny bit.I took every drug I had at bedtime, put a diaper on hoped to pee the bed........Nope didn't happen, so I got in the shower hoping again Nothing, but dribbles. FINALLY 3 pm I peed a gallon and I still feel like I have to pee.
It was not a good hospital trip.
sue
Unread 12-30-2010, 11:33 PM
Re: rectocele repaired and OUCH

loslocos--

Did you just have this surgery? If you can't/couldn't urinate, I hope you let your doctor know right away. It's a situation s/he would want to know about ASAP. Some women here have even gone to the ER for catheterization when they haven't been able to 'go'.

It's surely an extremely uncomfortable place to be and can be unsafe for you if left too long.

If this happened last year with your original surgery, I hope things are going well now and that you feel much better.

Unread 12-31-2010, 02:10 AM

ok your hospital stay was worse than mine!!! my doc didn't listen to me and i ended up staying an extra day to get my pain under control, nurse didn't believe me when i said something was wrong with my cath, ended up it was kinked and i about exploded

how are you doing now that you are home a few days?
Unread 12-31-2010, 11:51 AM

better, can pee now. It was just dribbles for first 2 days, probly overflow. but as of this am I peed a bunch as I should when I wake up. and no this was a new surgery the 28
sue
Unread 01-06-2011, 11:43 PM

swelling is down, I have an appt with him tomorrow,He really did a crappy job, instead of cutting off excess skin he just sewed it all to my perineum. Does anyone else have these extra flaps? I am not impressed. still having trouble peeing & pooping, thankfully I take stuff for it, had it not been for this site, I'd have never known to. Nothing came from dr or nurses.all in all I wish I'd have left it go until I found a different doc
sue
Unread 01-09-2011, 09:14 AM

That sounds like the hospital my surgery was at, seems to be a trend to give us post op girly problem pts sub par care. I'm sorry you were treated that way
I went home with a catheter for about 10 days post op. I had more than a rectocele repair then but I know it was impossible to pee and I know how the dribbles in the shower go. I noticed I have a flap on one side at the bottom of my vagina too. I was questioning it and dh says I've always had them, but it makes no sense that I never noticed them before and the one on the right is much more pronounced and larger. So I wonder if its similar to what your describing. I hope your starting to feel better now.
Unread 01-09-2011, 10:59 AM
Re: rectocele repaired and OUCH Libido question to dr too

I asked him about it as he took stitches out. He said Oh that's just swelling it'll go down in 2- mos. I said YOU better hope it all dissappears or I will be back, I know where you work.IT WAS NEVER THERE BEFORE!!! Oh yes it will go down, he says. I said I cannot envision riding a horse with all that there clear back to my butthole.
He just said again it'll go down. I asked about libido. I got the oh there's nothing that can be done about that.I said ya know I read that alot of drs will say that on hyster sister BB. He said it's an age thing, I said hmmmm tell me about the 29,39 y/o who have had to have hysterectomies & are in same boat then???? I told him I wanted to try testoterone of some sort.....Oh they don't make that no more. I said yes they do & gave him 2 names of drugs. Oh they've done blind studies it doesn't helphe says. I said I wasn't in it nor were the boo coo bunch of women I have read about with same problem. so he said well If you want to try it OK & wrote one for the estratest HS. Now I have to find out about ordering from Canada as my insurance doesn't cover it, and it's like 1.50 a pill here.
so that is how my appt went. At least I was armed thanks to this site!!!!! And he actually spoke more than 1 word sentences, he normally does not unless Paul is in there too. But he could not come
sue
Unread 01-09-2011, 11:16 AM

Well I'm 8 months post op and I have the flaps, I'm not sure how big they were right after surgery but they are there. And libido.... well let's just say I'm 30 and it has NOTHING to do with age But I also have had alot of post op issues, and pain with my sling and my rectocele and cystocele repairs failed very early in recovery so I have them again. I wasn't on any HRT until 6mo post op when I changed dr's because my inital dr told me that with my health risks (cancer) it was better not to and my hormones would level out in 4-6 months and I'd just have to use lots and lots of lubrication, yeah, sure, If he says so. My new dr put me on estradiol mainly to rebuild vaginal tissue and strengthen it I'm on the Vivelle Dot and my dr tells me it is much better than any of the oral pills and you have better results. It has helped libido some but I am in so much pain and have so much swelling, any attempt puts me out of commission for a week so I guess its better not to have it until they fix this mess in there. Be careful ordering hormones. I encourage you to look for another dr that will work with you to get the levels right, you don't want to take too much as that can be bad for you, especially something like testosterone.
Unread 01-09-2011, 12:36 PM

well it's the same dose of estrogen I am on, and half strength of testoerone, I called wal mart generic is only 70 bucks. I am willling to try it & see, and good to know about the flaps......he knew I was not happy, he said NOTHING about this pre op, but then he is not a man of many words.
I SO hope you can be put back together better......
sue
Unread 01-09-2011, 01:02 PM

I hope so too. Look for a dr that's willing to order bioidenticals for you, and see about having it compounded, I was told by the walgreens pharmacist here that it's usually no more than $50-60, and insurance usually covers it. They base how much of each hormone you get on what you need, they can even put thyroid meds in it if they need to. Sometimes doctors don't do what's best for us, and we have to find one that will. Go to the hormone section and post a message for info on bioidenticals, Kim will probally reply and she is very knowledgable.
Good Luck

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.