HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Just Curious about fibroid/tumor sizes Just Curious about fibroid/tumor sizes

Unread 01-01-2011, 04:03 PM
Just Curious about fibroid/tumor sizes

I'm just a little curious as to how big some of your tumor/fibroids were! I've seen lots of posts of 4cm and 3cm fibroids being larger.. could everyone mean inches? I'm a bit confused at what people consider large because mine measured at 8 and 3/4 cm by 11cm. Larger than a grapefruit. I had the one large one and several smaller "cysts" around my right ovary, so I had the tah/bso. Just a topic I've been wondering about!!! Hope everyone had a great New Years!
Unread 01-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Re: Just Curious about fibroid/tumor sizes

My largest fibroid was 12 cm in maximum dimension and another smaller one was 3.4 cm. My uterus without the cervix was 1.2 kilograms. The large one totally obliterated my uterine cavity so it was time to get these fibroids and the uterus out. These days, my bladder really thanks me.
Unread 01-01-2011, 08:31 PM

I had multiple fibroids - my gynae described my uterus as looking "like a sack of potatoes!" lol! Largest fibroid was 10.5cm and my uterus weighed 2.2 lbs - glad it's all been removed and I don't miss it one bit!
Unread 01-01-2011, 08:33 PM

I had one very large fibroid that measured 17cmx17cmx8cm.
My bladder thanks me also. It has been so long since I haven't been linking that it seems odd to not be dealing with that now. Not only did I have to make sure I had supersize pads with me for my periods, but I always had to have panty liners. No more back aches and sleep is so much better now, even with the vertical incision. So glad it's out. I was told in the OR that it weighed close to 8 pounds.
Unread 01-01-2011, 08:43 PM

I find it helpful to compare them to known objects. My fibroid--and I only had one--was at its largest about the size of a softball. A year after embolization, it had shrunk to the size of a baseball. Not sure how large it was when I had the hysterectomy a couple of months later--it was pretty well shredded and bits of it had been coming out, so it was probably smaller.
Unread 01-01-2011, 08:54 PM

Mine was the size of a football the doctor said, I measured as if 5 months pregnant. I was told it had dead cells on the inside because it was losing it's blood supply so it started trying to attach itself to my abdomen wall, which ended up leading to a LOT of blood loss during surgery. Sooo glad to be rid of it and no visits from Aunt Flo is an added bonus!
Unread 01-01-2011, 09:07 PM

I am not sure of the size of my fibroids but I was told that my uterus was the size of a 5 1/2 month pregnancy. The doctor said "I officially had the ugliest uterus of the month." I am so glad to have them removed. I feel great.
Unread 01-01-2011, 09:22 PM

Hi! I never found out the size of mine or my uterus - I have a 3 month post op check up in 2 weeks and I plan on asking then. I had one on the back of my uterus that pressed on a nerve causing me constant lower back pain. All I know about my uterus is that it was like a solid round ball, and it was full of adenymosis.

I no longer have bladder & rectal pressure -no longer make trips to the bathroom every 30 minutes - no more back pain. I didn't realize how bad my quality of life really was until after I had this surgery - once I got past the bladder spasms from my surgeries and returned to normal it really hit me -

So glad I had this done!!! Hugs everyone!
Unread 01-01-2011, 10:08 PM

I had two large ones, 11 cm and 10 cm, also many multiples. all were described as calcified, and the uterus weighed six pounds. the doc said he had to request a lrger bucket to take it from the OR.

Can laugh about it now, but what a nightmare. DO NOT miss it at all.

Ruthie G.
Unread 01-01-2011, 10:43 PM

I had one large one measuring 9x9x4 and several smaller ones. My uterus measured that of 16 week pregnancy. My uterus weighed 1 1/2 pounds.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.