HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

9 mo post TAH 2 wks post hernia repair- my belly button is SO UGLY! Will it go back? 9 mo post TAH 2 wks post hernia repair- my belly button is SO UGLY! Will it go back?

Unread 01-02-2011, 11:29 AM
9 mo post TAH 2 wks post hernia repair- my belly button is SO UGLY! Will it go back?

I know this is somewhat vain, but after everything else and all the other ugly scars I want to know that at least my belly button can look normal again. I had a very complicated hyst following my last childbirth in April (uterine rupture with Group A strep infection that went undiagnosed for 2 weeks) and have a horizontal and vertical incision now. Not surprisingly I developed a hernia in my entire vertical incision. I was hoping my belly button was swollen shut before they hernia surgery simply because the hernia was pushing it shut, but now they've done the repair and it is still swollen shut. It looks like a horizontal line (kindof more like a frowny face than a line, I guess) rather than the nice circle that it always was.
I know I'm crazy to even worry about this and should just feel lucky to be alive, but at 29 I think I at least deserve a belly button still! lol!
Anyone else have this and did it ever go back to normal?
Thanks girls!
Unread 01-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Re: 9 mo post TAH 2 wks post hernia repair- my belly button is SO UGLY! Will it go ba

Sorry to hear about that! I had my hysterectomy last Nov. and just on 11-29-10 underwent a hernia repair, my belly button looks ridiculous but I am at the age where no one really sees it and I don't mind it. The way he cut was crazy, its almost like a crescent moon that starts at where my incision was for the hernia and then went way down through the belly button and about an inch under it..I think it will take time for sure, my incisions from my hysterectomy show a light scar so I guess time does make them fade! GOod luck!
Unread 01-20-2011, 06:49 PM
Re: 9 mo post TAH 2 wks post hernia repair- my belly button is SO UGLY! Will it go ba

Thank you so much for your reply I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one - its so silly, isn't it? No one will really see mine either except me and dh (who doesn't mind at all), but its just weird. Oh well, onward and upward, right? There sure are worse things that could be happening.
Unread 01-21-2011, 02:57 AM

I think its totally normal to wonder if your belly button will ever be right. Quick story- I have had MANY surgeries and luckily all have been done by lap, so my belly button is all outa wack. After the surgery when they removed my last ovary I was a hormonal nightmare. I finally remove all of my belly bandages around 2am one night, while dh was sleeping soundly and I was suffering insomnia. Because of the swelling, larger incision than normal, and past surgeries my belly button was GONE ! It looked like someone had flattened it out with a steamroller! I freaked! I started bawling my eyes out. I woke my dh up who came running thinking I was hurt. In hind site it was so funny. I was crying so hard I couldn't talk and he was just standing there going "what? Are you hurt? What?". All I could do was shake my head and try to explain my belly button was gone, I was deformed. Strangely I'm just over 2wk post op from another sugery and my belly button looks better than it has since my hyst! (Sorry, guess it became a long story ) Best of luck, I'm sure your belly button will continue to look more and more like it did as it heals.
Unread 01-25-2011, 10:36 AM

I have had three surgeries through my belly button 1st to repair a hernia 2nd exploratory surgery 3rd LSH . My bellybutton after the hernia repair looked hidious after the 2nd surgery even worse and you can only imagine after the third. Mine looking ugly doesn't bother me. I am actually proud of it at this point. I say be proud of it. It's been through hell and it's still there. I kind of like mine now. So will it get better sorry but probably not, but one think about it.....it's unique!
Unread 03-29-2011, 05:20 PM

Thank you so much girls for all the encouragement! Sorry I didn't get back online until now...I am so bad at logging in and checking. Luckily my belly button is getting to look somewhat normal again, but I guess it'll never be the same and you're right, I should just be proud of it - its a battle scar!! lol! You girls are awesome!
Unread 03-31-2011, 08:45 PM

When I had my inciisional hernia repaired, the surgeon cut around the navel, trying to leave it looking somewhat normal. It's pretty tiny now but it's still there!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.