HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Infection!    Cipro now Macrobid - could it be the mesh? Infection! Cipro now Macrobid - could it be the mesh?

Unread 01-10-2011, 02:57 PM
Infection! Cipro now Macrobid - could it be the mesh?

Ok so I have an infection. I went to the doctor last Wednesday and she prescribed Cipro - my dip stick was negative - but now the culture came back positive. My symptoms are burning urination and urinary frequency - I have to go all the time but I'm waiting about an hour in between.

She (her office) called today to tell me to stop taking Cipro and she was calling in a prescription for Macrobid. The nurse said Cipro wouldn't work for what I had - she didn't know why - just what the doctor said. Actually, I feel no better since taking the Cipro so I'm glad we're switching.

Has anyone had this happen????? I'm worried about the mesh I have. Could this be a mesh infection??? Oh I'm so stressing about this. If this Macrobid doesn't work then what? I'll be on the Macrobid for 5 days.
Unread 01-10-2011, 09:35 PM
Re: Infection! Cipro now Macrobid - could it be the mesh?

Hey there, just a quickie med overview, Cipro is considered a broad spectrum antibiotic, its usually the antibiotic of choice for things like UTI's because it is effective on so many different types of bacteria and typically a good choice if they suspect a UTI.

Macrobid is pretty much just for UTI's. It has other uses but it is one they use alot in UTI's because it kills E Coli. and thats one of the most common types of bacterias we get in our urinary tracts. E Coli grows in our intestines and obviously comes out in our feces (That's why mom says wipe front to back ) Not to say thats def the type of bacteria you have, but its pretty likely. I imagine what they did was a culture and sensitivity and found the bacteria wasnt responding to Ciproflaxin but Macrobid did kill it. Most dipsticks aren't as sensitive to E Coli because it can be present in the perineal tissue and if the "clean catch" isn't done properly some can accidently be present in the specimen.
You could call the dr and ask them if you had E Coli type bacteria and thats why the switched you, the nurse should be able to look at the lab results and tell you what bacteria it was. If it makes you feel better, it could be a good thing that they switched you and if it is E Coli bacteria and the Macrobid clears it up, you could start feeling loads better Thats what we hope for anyway.
Take the meds for the 5 days, try to relax as much as you can and not worry and hopefully you're gonna feel better soon! If you have anymore questions let me know and I'll try to tell you what I know about the meds and bacterias and stuff. And try to call the dr and just ask if they'll tell you what the bacteria is and if it was ciproflaxin resistant.
Unread 01-10-2011, 09:39 PM

I had infections post op and had no mesh to be concerned about. It often took them several days before they knew what worked and a lot of the time it was different than the first one. I am continuing to have infections that are related to really depressed immune system. Infections can be caused by anything so wouldn't worry too much about them now. You can always ask nurse or doc. Hope you feel better.
Unread 01-11-2011, 04:49 PM

Well I had an awful reaction to the Macrobid! I was up all night nauseous and sick. I called the doc today and went in to see the physician's asst. She said the bacteria that showed up was Staph Negative (longer name than that) and that it was common and treated with Macorbid, Pennicillin (I'm allergic to it), and Vancomycin (intravenous).

We decided I am going to go back to the Cipro for 3 more days. I left another sample for culturing and we'll see what happens.

I've added cranberry pills and juice to my diet.

She said the numbers were low to moderate so it wasn't a serious infection.

The word "staph" is scaring me. I was starting to feel better on the Cipro before being switched to that awful Macrobid.

So I know E Coli is common - what about this Staph thing? Does anyone know anything about it?
Unread 01-11-2011, 05:09 PM

Staph is common to actually. Especially after having a procedure/surgery done. The 2 big bacterias are staphylococcus and streptococcus (that's prob how she said it so it sounded longer) the word staph tends to scare the crap out of people because they envision horrible nasty super bug staph infections like you hear about on tv, it's rarely that bad and since she said it was mild I wouldn't start worrying too much.

After working 10 years in the hospital and being exposed to every bacteria, disease etc out there I was convinced I had to have MRSA (that's the bad bad staph) at least dormant in my system somewhere, I was amazed when I had to have cultures done preventive before my last procedure and it was negative. My daughter had an infected lymph node on her neck, it was the size of a tennis ball that was staph, she cleared right up after surgical excision and antibiotics, and my son got MRSA from a bug bite (yes bugs carry this stuff now) he cleared right up after about a week on bactrim
Unread 01-11-2011, 05:11 PM

Oops I hit submit by accident, I'm replying on my iPhone lol the keys are tiny
Anyway, don't worry about it. It's not as scary as it sounds I promise. Just keep watch on your symptoms, and maybe ask your doc about prophylactic yeast infection treatment.
Unread 04-02-2011, 08:39 AM

I have just opposite. I have what they thought was a uti and put me on macrobid, then called and said stop taking the macrobid your infection is worse, you need to start on ciprofloxacin. Very frustrated, can't seem to get away from some infection or another. Supposed to go back to work in a week don't even feel like getting out of bed. Help!
Unread 04-05-2011, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine14 View Post
Ok so I have an infection. I went to the doctor last Wednesday and she prescribed Cipro - my dip stick was negative - but now the culture came back positive. My symptoms are burning urination and urinary frequency - I have to go all the time but I'm waiting about an hour in between.

She (her office) called today to tell me to stop taking Cipro and she was calling in a prescription for Macrobid. The nurse said Cipro wouldn't work for what I had - she didn't know why - just what the doctor said. Actually, I feel no better since taking the Cipro so I'm glad we're switching.

Has anyone had this happen????? I'm worried about the mesh I have. Could this be a mesh infection??? Oh I'm so stressing about this. If this Macrobid doesn't work then what? I'll be on the Macrobid for 5 days.
Yes, it's the mesh. I suffered with all kinds of horrible ordeal since the TVT sling implant. After almost two years of suffering from infections to voiding difficulties and extreme pain, I had it removed last month and I felt immediately better, even with surgery stitches...sorry for the bad news but the TVT sling is not inert. Please google TVT bladder sling complications or even on this site, there are thousands of women who have their lives ruined because of the sling.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.