HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Endometriosis Support

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Pain from scar tissue 7 years later Pain from scar tissue 7 years later

Unread 01-11-2011, 01:46 AM
Pain from scar tissue 7 years later

I had a TAH BSO in November of 2004 after endometriosis ruptured my appendix (I had horrible pain for years). It ended up I had adenomyosis as well. Over the past few years I seem to get a a severe stabbing pain where my appendix was which can double me over. Going to the bathroom(urinating) seems to help relieve it. It's not a constant pain but it comes and goes in a 3 week period. Does this happen to anyone else. My gynecologist said it's most likely scar tissue. I hadn't had the pain for a few weeks and it just came back the other day. Wondering if it's diet or amount of liquids I have that could cause some type of pressure(?). Anybody else have this happen to them? Thank you!
Unread 01-11-2011, 10:00 PM
Re: Pain from scar tissue 7 years later

It is very possible you have some adhesion issues going on mixed with some endometriosis. Additionally, if either are affecting any part of your intestines, then at different times your diet could increase your symptoms.

I had my appendix removed when I had my hysterectomy because of endometriosis. At that time, endo was left on my bowel walls. Additionally, an adhesion formed between the vaginal cuff and the bowel. I also have IBS. Altogether, those issues created quite a bit of pain and I finally had surgery to remove the adhesions and endometriosis.

Watching my diet and staying hydrated could help my symptoms to a degree. You might learn about an IBS diet and see if following that type of eating plan would at least lessen your symptoms. Also, try to make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids, especially if you are eating or taking fiber. For me, fiber made EVERYTHING worse!

Many of us with endometriosis also have Interstitial Cystitis (IC). I didn't realize that when it flared it added to the whole pelvic agony. There are foods that tend to be IC triggers so you may also want to try to follow an IC diet, again staying hydrated.

It would probably be wise to keep a very detailed symptom diary. Besides keeping track of your pain, keep track of what you are eating and drinking. You might find ReliefInsite’s online pain diary useful as I did.

Are you talking to your GP about all of this as well? That doctor could also have some ideas and suggestions for what could be going on and how to treat it. You might want to consider seeing a gastroenterologist as well.

in there!
Unread 01-12-2011, 12:47 AM

Thank you. Yesterday after posting I thought that I should keep a diary. I also think that fiber and fluids definitely might play a part in it
Unread 01-15-2011, 05:45 PM

I was diagnosed with IBS along with my Endo. My gyne explained to me that the Endo can exacerbate IBS symptoms.
Weiser makes a really good point about keeping a pain diary and monitoring your diet. I have found my IBS is alot better since my surgery, but can occasionally flare-up depending my stress levels, caffeine and fat intake.
My Gastro doc has put me on a low fat, diet. It has helped immensely. I also take benefiber daily along with stool softeners. She told me it is a "trial an error" for my diet, keep a journal of what foods cause what symptoms. She also looked for evidence of scar tissue and adhesions and found none.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.