HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

did your fibroids return after myomectomy? did your fibroids return after myomectomy?

Unread 01-12-2011, 11:26 PM
did your fibroids return after myomectomy?

So I'm still debating between getting a myomectomy or hysterectomy. My symptoms aren't really that bad, (yet) At least as compaired to the stories I've heard from many of you gals. So I'm very lucky and glad for that. But I'm wondering if I'll just be ending up having to have a hyst in a year or two even if I get the fibroids removed now. So I'm wondering about the experiences of you gals. Anyone end up having a hyst, after an earlier myo? If so how long was it between your myo and hyst? Do you think the surgeon missed some fibroids, or did new ones grow fast?

As always thank you to all you gals for your support!
Unread 01-13-2011, 09:18 AM
Re: did your fibroids return after myomectomy?

Same question for me! I'm debating the same thing.
What are you leaning towards doing?
I'm thinking hysterectomy.
Unread 01-13-2011, 09:43 AM

Acording to my doctor, it depends on if you want to try and have kids. I have fibroids and have a hyst coming up on 2-9. He says they can not guarantee they will not return, but he said the usually stay away for approx. five years. Since I have all the kids I will ever need, I waited before having surgery. Once I saw they were still growing and multiplying I am moving on with the hyst. surgery. HTH
Unread 01-13-2011, 07:04 PM

I'm planning on getting a myo. I'm just not ready for a hyst. I don't feel like I've been suffering enough to warrant removing it for good. I haven't had the horrible bleeding, or the "please can I just die now" cramps. (untill this month that is.) OMG the cramps are awful!!!
Unread 01-13-2011, 08:32 PM

I had a myomectomy in March 2010. By October, my cycles had not improved. Another fibroid was found during a hysterescopy - it was deep within the uterus and another mymectomy was not an option so I am having a hysterectomy on 1/25.

bscooter
Unread 01-13-2011, 08:40 PM

Hi wyld_ivy

I had a myomectomy to remove one small fibroid. Two years later, I had developed another one and that ultimately led to my hysterectomy.

Even though I still had to get the hysterectomy, I will always be grateful that I had those extra two years. It gave me time to learn about hysterectomy and other options for fibroids. When the second fibroid developed, I felt very prepared to make my decision. If I hadn't tried the myomectomy first, I always would've wondered "what if?"--especially if I had developed any complications

One option I seriously considered what the uterine artery embolization. I decided against it because of the severity of symptoms I was experiencing and the fact that it can take quite a few months for the embolization to be effective. Have you asked your doctor if that might be an option for you?

with your decision!
Unread 01-13-2011, 09:11 PM

My doc did go over UAE with me. He was great in telling me all about the different options and what their pros and cons were. I've decided against it because I'm pretty scared of something going wrong with it. My family has a history of high blood pressure and strokes. I don't know why but I was less afraid of surgery.
Unread 01-15-2011, 10:56 AM

Hi there, I did have one come back after my myomectomy in April 2010 that grew quickly to the size of a baseball. I had that one removed in August. So I guess technically I've had 2 myomectomies in one year, one done abdominally and the other through a hysteroscope vaginally. I posted my story last week if you want to check out another thread, "fibroid surgeries & still no relief". I am also at a point today, where I believe there may be more growing again due to my symptoms, but have not gone in yet to verify.

On the flip side, my sister also had a myomectomy 2 years ago to remove 2 or 3 fibroids one of which was blocking her fallopian tube. She had been trying to get pregnant for 2 or 3 years and finally was able to get pregnant after the surgery and just this October had her first child. So, if you are interested in having kids, I hope her story inspires you to hold on a little longer especially if you aren't having any major problems yet.

Also, my doctor has told me that it is possible to have multiple myomectomies and still have children although it's not that common. He says there are definitely more risks involved in carrying the child. I guess it's important to find a good experienced doctor. Anyway, I am trying to hold out as long as possible, but I understand your frustration about just getting rid of it now and skipping all the trouble & pain of multiple surgeries. Trust me I have many days where I just think it's time to take it all out! Well good luck with your decision, & I'm here if you ever have any questions.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.