HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Underwear after surgery Underwear after surgery

Unread 01-16-2011, 02:51 PM
Underwear after surgery

Hey sisters,

I see ads for granny panties to have for after surgery. How do you know what size to get? I'm getting cut on the bikini line so I'm guessing that the underwear I currently wear will be painful on the incision. What if the granny panties are tight? Will that be bad or good for the healing process. I feel really stupid asking this question but you all are the best resource to go to.

Thanks!
Unread 01-16-2011, 03:06 PM
Re: Underwear after surgery

Honestly for the first 2 weeks after surgery I didn't worry about it, I wore only pj bottoms anyway. I had the bikini line too. And after that just wear panties that do not sit on your incision line, so get ones that are higher cut but they don't have to be huge. I have some normal size panties that are boy cut, that sit just above where my incision is and at 3 weeks I could fit in them and they didn't bother me.
Unread 01-16-2011, 03:09 PM

Kind of hard to say. They put disposable giant panties on you in the hospital which I think are perfect. I have low cut bikini and hipster style. My regular hipster size are fine. I had no incision though. There's a lot involved with pads and such and that's different for everyone. I bled a lot so I went through a lot of pads and will toss the panties after recovery. It's a personal thing. Like when your pregnant tiny panties under the belly are better for some. Others want giant maternity panties.
Unread 01-16-2011, 03:13 PM

Yes that's what I meant by boy cut - hipster style. Mine fit in that style too. Good point about the pads, I never needed any after surgery except for day 1 in the hospital. So that is individual.
Unread 01-16-2011, 03:15 PM

No one should be embarrassed about asking such questions here- one of the beauties of this site. I had LAVH, so just small incisions. I wore the gigantic panties home, and I wore my regular underwear afterward, but of course I did not have the bikin incision. Maybe this is a chance to experiment- there are so many different kinds of panties out there-time to compare?
Unread 01-16-2011, 05:15 PM

For me, I found that my regular, normal-sized, super-low undies were the most comfortable, 'cause they hit below all of my incisions. I did have some really big granny panties on hand (having read about them here), but they hit in all the wrong spots and when I moved, they tended to pull and "drag" on the incisions and were unbearable.

So, I think it's pretty hard to know for sure what will or won't work ahead of time. My best suggestion would be, if at all possible, to have a few different styles and sizes on hand so that you'll be able to pick and choose when the time comes.

Best wishes on everything!
Unread 01-16-2011, 09:01 PM

After my surgery, I tried to wear my regular panties (hipster) and they hit right at my incision and were uncomfortable as were the bikini panties. So my husband bought me granny panties and they were also uncomfortable on my incision as well. So most of the time I didn't wear them at all. if I had to go out, I could tolerate the granny panties while I was out. Ive seenmany say that just a size or two bigger than their usual size worked better for them.
Unread 01-16-2011, 11:20 PM

I had DaVinci and the Jockey for Her string bikinis were low enough to be below all the incisions and below all the swelly belly. They are tight enough to hold a pad in place and made of cotton and cotton-covered elastic so they are breathable and easy on the skin.

Since my abdominal skin was extremely sensiive to the touch and fabric movement (bad prickly pain), I couldn't have worn panties that covered the abdomen for a couple of weeks after surgery.

The suggestion to have different kinds of panties on hand is good... since you are having abdominal, you might want to have different kinds and lengths of pads/liners available, too.

God's blessings and good luck!
Unread 01-16-2011, 11:31 PM

Thank you for all the great advice. I really appreciate it.
Unread 01-17-2011, 01:31 AM

boy cut panties should work! gonna live in sweats for a while!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway