HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Cranberry juice and estrogen Cranberry juice and estrogen

Unread 01-16-2011, 03:22 PM
Cranberry juice and estrogen

Does anybody know if cranberry juice or cranberry pills have any effects on estrogen..does it raise it or lower it? I believe I read somewhere that grapefruit juice has an effect on estrogen...thanks Tina
Unread 01-16-2011, 07:07 PM
Re: Cranberry juice and estrogen

No connection that I've heard of except helping with preventing UTIs.
Unread 01-17-2011, 07:11 AM

Same here Calypso. I don't think there is any scientific data, studies or evidence in regards to cranberry or grapefruit for estrogen.
Unread 01-17-2011, 09:14 AM

I have read not to drink grapefruit juice or eat grapefruit with estrogen replacement, just nothing about cranberry juice.
Unread 01-17-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso View Post
I have read not to drink grapefruit juice or eat grapefruit with estrogen replacement, just nothing about cranberry juice.
Hi Calypso. Can you please site the website where you read this? Was in a scientific journal? Thanks!
Unread 01-17-2011, 03:13 PM

http://www.livestrong.com/article/10...en-grapefruit/
<<Effects
Grapefruit may cause a woman who takes birth control pills or utilizes hormone replacement therapy to higher than desired levels of estrogen in her bloodstream, according to Graedons' Guide to Grapefruit Interactions. The higher estrogen levels can lead to side effects including breast tenderness and nausea. Long-term exposure to high estrogen levels is associated with an increased breast cancer risk.
Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/108077-estrogen-grapefruit/#ixzz1BKhRnLZn>>

http://caonline.amcancersoc.org/cgi/.../full/57/6/321

http://www.rxlist.com/script/main/ar...y=96909&page=3
<<Estrogens
Interaction Rating: Major Do not take this combination.

The body breaks down estrogens to get rid of them. Grapefruit juice seems to decrease how quickly the body breaks down estrogens and increase how much estrogen the body absorbs. Drinking grapefruit juice while taking estrogens might increase estrogen levels and side effects associated with estrogen such as breast cancer.

Some estrogen pills include conjugated equine estrogens (Premarin), ethinyl estradiol, estradiol (Climara, Vivelle, Estring), and others.>>
Unread 01-18-2011, 05:51 AM

Thanks for posting those websites Calypso. I viewed al sites. Interesting though, many ladies, have been consuming grapefruits.....like my Mother has been all her life, grapefruit daily. Personally that is one fruit I don't care for, horrible taste.
Unread 01-18-2011, 05:53 AM

No problem, I thought it interesting that so many meds can be influenced by eating grapefruit/drinking grapefruit juice.

Personally, I love grapefruit, but have given it up since surgery...
Unread 01-18-2011, 03:12 PM

I read something about grapefruit/grapefruit juice somewhere too but when I asked my Dr about it he laughed. I had a big bottle of Ruby Red Grapefruit juice here that I avoided for weeks until then.

Ok, I found it. Taken from the Vivelle site on prescribing info http://www.vivelledot.com/documents/...nformation.pdf

Quote:
Drug Interactions
In vitro and in vivo studies have shown that estrogens are metabolized partially by cytochrome P450 3A4 (CYP3A4). Therefore, inducers or
inhibitors of CYP3A4 may affect estrogen drug metabolism. Inducers of CYP3A4 such as St. John’s Wort preparations (Hypericum perforatum),
phenobarbital, carbamazepine and rifampin may reduce plasma concentrations of estrogens, possibly resulting in a decrease in therapeutic
effects and/or changes in the uterine bleeding profile. Inhibitors of CYP3A4 such as erythromycin, clarithromycin, ketoconazole, itraconazole,
ritonavir and grapefruit juice may increase plasma concentrations of estrogens and may result in side effects.
Hope this helps.
Unread 01-18-2011, 04:55 PM

It is well known that grapefruit juice interacts with many meds. One can do a drug check and will find that the only interaction is with grapefruit juice.

Would also like to remind everyone that Mrs Dukes was asking about cranberry juice and estrogen. Appreciate the links and all about grapefruit juice, but that wasn't the question. Let's keep our replies directed to the question that the OP asks.

(((Tina))) I have not heard about any interactions with estrogen and cranberry juice. Did you read or hear something?

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway