HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Dr. Oz addresses prolapse! Dr. Oz addresses prolapse!

Unread 01-17-2011, 05:11 PM
Dr. Oz addresses prolapse!

Anyone see the Dr. Oz episode on pelvic prolapse? You can watch it on his website if you missed it. I was wondering what you all thought? I was disappointed-one of the female doctors called it a "disease". It's a condition, not a disease! Also, they made it seem as though the actual bladder and rectum break through the vaginal walls and protrude into the vagina. The organ is leaning in ON the vaginal wall, not tearing through it!
Unread 01-17-2011, 08:19 PM
Re: Dr. Oz addresses prolapse!

I did see it, I DVR'd it and watched it 3 times to try to understand what the mockery they were making about it was supposed to be! I appreciate the gesture to talk about it, but I feel it wasn't accurate and they didn't cover HOW it affects our lives or how to deal with it. Just if your uterus falls out in the shower shove it back in your vagina and call the doctor. I was going to post a thread about it but decided not to because I thought maybe I was the only person that was annoyed with it all lol.
Unread 01-18-2011, 10:13 AM

I saw the show and was really disappointed. I had hoped with 3 urogynecologists, there would be much more detail. I had also hoped for more info on the different types of surgeries and what each really corrects.
Guess no one really wants to state what really happens and how it really feels.
Unread 01-18-2011, 10:17 AM

I agree with both of you! My faith in doctors has really plummeted since I have had this condition.
Unread 01-18-2011, 10:52 AM

I was also very disappointed with the show. They really didn't have anything much to say.
I have read alot about prolapse since finding out I myself have one and am scheduled for surgrey in Feburary for a TVH.

Was really hoping for it to be more informative.
Unread 01-20-2011, 08:35 AM

While I completely understand the desire to have more information, I watched the show after reading this thread and knowing there wouldn't be a lot of specific help. It actually really helped me a lot to hear how many women deal with this condition and to have it discussed openly and lightly. I'm new to having life-changing issues because of a prolapse and was truly mortified at the idea of discussing the details with the doctor. I think I'll be more comfortable with that part after this. And, after feeling VERY sad for several weeks, I'm starting to realize that this too is going to be OK.
Unread 01-20-2011, 09:32 AM

I just went on Dr. Oz's site to find out more info about this show and couldn't find anything, no messages, etc.

I watched the show and was very disappointed in the info presented. Many of the women on this site could have given more informative info. His presentation of the bladder and rectum tearing through the vagina totally surprised me. Perhaps this does happen but I think it must be very infrequently if at all. They also made it seem as if women first notice symptoms when something huge falls out of their vagina.

Certainly not impressed with any of the three women physicians. I'm so glad my uro-gyn is so much more knowledgable.

If anyone knows how to let Dr. Oz know via his site what we thought was lacking, please post.
Unread 01-20-2011, 09:40 AM

Just googled Dr. Oz email and found out how to send a message to the show. I related my disappointment and how the women on Hyster Sisters could offer more detailed info.

Perhaps if others emailed him he would have a show that is more prepared.
Unread 01-20-2011, 11:47 AM

Catherine, the 3 docs on the show were Urogyn's actually. But I think the producers limit what they can talk about and the time they have. Dr Oz is a Cardiologist, some of the stuff he gets a "panic mode" about is really going to send uninformed people into hysterics thinking their blood pressure of 129/75 is going to kill them. Its sad, everything is about ratings anymore

Nancy, I was glad to hear about others suffering from this, but they did act as though its a terrible silent disease and all they really said was you can use a pessary or have surgery, and if your uterus falls out in the shower the vagina isnt sterile so shove it back in there and call and ask your gyn what they think, I'm sure alot of people who weren't privie to all the knowledge we have here are now afraid their uterus might fall out any moment.

They did have good pictures to show things, but that contraption he had the assistant of the day get into was pretty pointless!
Unread 01-20-2011, 11:48 AM

I agree, not much info there, and I was disappointed, also.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.