HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

what is a boggy uterus? what is a boggy uterus?

Unread 01-17-2011, 05:37 PM
what is a boggy uterus?

1 week post my TAH- had it done due to 8 months of heavy clotty bleeding,anemia etc but the resident came in after and said "well it looked pretty good,no real problems..."so i said "so why did i do this?"
when i asked the gyn about it he said" it was the right decision, the uterus was very boggy." not sure exactly what that means, anyone have any ideas?
Unread 01-17-2011, 05:55 PM
Re: what is a boggy uterus?

My dr described my uterus pre-surgery as boggy -- and he said it was starting to prolapse..he suspected adenymosis - after the hysterectomy they told me my uterus was heavy, shaped like a basketball, and full of adenymosis. I also had anemia, heavy bleeding, and was in a ton of pain before my hysterectomy. I'm glad to be rid of it. I think the 'boggy' term means it feels different than a healthy uterus - it feels more spongy.
Unread 01-17-2011, 05:59 PM

thankyou mel!
looked it up and did some reading - haven't got my pathology but i'm guessing it will be adenomyosis too. did you have hip/groin/thigh pain?
Unread 01-17-2011, 06:37 PM

Hi!! I had pain just about everywhere. A few months before my hysterectomy I had a D&C and endo removal on my right side. It helped the pain I had felt in my legs - but not my back. During the D&C he looked around and found a fibroid -which was in the back of my uterus. It was probably the fibroid and my uterus that caused all my back pain. I also had a lot of bleeding - almost every day of the months, along with several very heavy bleeding days. My cramps were so bad it almost felt like childbirth to me. I also felt a heaviness in my abdomen - best description was I felt like I had a bowling ball in my stomach. All the pain and heaviness went away with this surgery.
Unread 01-18-2011, 01:17 AM

I had a boggy uterus, when the path results came back after my TAH it was adenomyosis. As I understand it is similar to endometriosis, but the blood can't escape so it bleeds into the uterine wall, hence the bogginess and awful pain. I'm nearly five weeks out and really am feeling ok- the best thing has been my back often ached and now it doesn't! I hope you also get a similar bonus ;-))

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.